It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2005, 05:56 AM   #1
(male)

taihawk HB User
Question on core strength

I've heard about the core muscles, and building these up is important. Then, this morning as I was getting ready for work, I got caught up into watching an infomercial on a core plan, using one of those fitness balls (don't know what they're called) that seem to be the "in" thing to use now (those big beach-ball looking things that you lay on and do crunches, etc.). Anyway, was wondering if this would be one of those "good" plans to maybe look into, since my first and biggest concern is losing weight and firming up a little bit (okay, alot)!!!! Plus, wouldn't core muscle building help my lower back (I have a sacro-iliac joint that likes to get outta whack).

thanks folks.

Old 09-22-2005, 11:55 AM   #2
(male)

StrtnOut HB User
Re: Question on core strength

Hi Taihawk:

Congrats on focusing your efforts towards becoming a healthier, better you.
Just wanted to tell you that those "beachball looking" things are called stability balls. They come in all sizes and colors and is actually one of the cheapest and most useful pieces of equipment you should purchase for yourself. As you know it will help to increase your core strenght while helping to strenghten your back and improve your posture and balance. You don't have to waste a lot of money on the ones you see advertised on infomercials, and can pick one up at just about any dept/fitness store between $15 and up (depending on quality/size/and accessories be it a pump, video, or resistance band).

I would not worry too much about the quality. I myself have a cheap one and it works just fine. The important thing is to use it, and if you find you do use it enough to pop it, then you know it would be worth investing in a higher quality ball.

Do however pay attention to the size of the ball. Basically, if you are going to be using the ball for traditional ab exercises, you have to get the appropriate one for your height in order to put yourself in the right position (knees and hips at a right angle)in order not to hurt your back. And keep it fully inflated so that it is firm when you use it.

Here's a quick quide from ACE:
HEIGHT BALL SIZE
Under 4'6'' - 30cm (12 inches)
4'6'' - 5'' - 45cm (18 inches)
5'1'' - 5'7'' - 55cm (22 inches)
5'8'' - 6'2'' - 65cm (26 inches)
Over 6'2'' - 75cm (30 inches)

Alright, well good luck!

Regards
-StrtnOut

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2005, 01:38 PM   #3
(male)

taihawk HB User
Re: Question on core strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrtnOut
Hi Taihawk:

Congrats on focusing your efforts towards becoming a healthier, better you.
Just wanted to tell you that those "beachball looking" things are called stability balls. They come in all sizes and colors and is actually one of the cheapest and most useful pieces of equipment you should purchase for yourself. As you know it will help to increase your core strenght while helping to strenghten your back and improve your posture and balance. You don't have to waste a lot of money on the ones you see advertised on infomercials, and can pick one up at just about any dept/fitness store between $15 and up (depending on quality/size/and accessories be it a pump, video, or resistance band).

I would not worry too much about the quality. I myself have a cheap one and it works just fine. The important thing is to use it, and if you find you do use it enough to pop it, then you know it would be worth investing in a higher quality ball.

Do however pay attention to the size of the ball. Basically, if you are going to be using the ball for traditional ab exercises, you have to get the appropriate one for your height in order to put yourself in the right position (knees and hips at a right angle)in order not to hurt your back. And keep it fully inflated so that it is firm when you use it.

Here's a quick quide from ACE:
HEIGHT BALL SIZE
Under 4'6'' - 30cm (12 inches)
4'6'' - 5'' - 45cm (18 inches)
5'1'' - 5'7'' - 55cm (22 inches)
5'8'' - 6'2'' - 65cm (26 inches)
Over 6'2'' - 75cm (30 inches)

Alright, well good luck!

Regards
-StrtnOut
Thank you. that helps a ton. I'll make a point of hitting a few stores this weekend.

Closed Thread