It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2005, 10:37 AM   #1
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
Total Gym

Does anyone have the Total Gym with the Pilates feature? It is the new one on the TV commercials now. If so how do you like it? I am a 47 yr old female that has weight trained for many years. I have developed Tennis Elbow plus a little rotator cuff and I cannot snap the bar anymore to bench or do squats. I am limited to dumbbells for limited body parts. My husband who has been a body builder for years said that machine is a waste but I do feel for me it would be a good thing since the heavy weights and bar snapping is wearing on my body. He cannot even bench with a flat bar anymore because his rotator cuff is shot. I think it would be a good re-hab for him to maybe strengthen that area. What are your thoughts?

Thanks, Lisa

Old 09-23-2005, 04:03 AM   #2
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
Re: Total Gym

Anyone? Your input is appreciated..Thanks, Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2005, 07:54 AM   #3
(male)

StrtnOut HB User

Hi Moxie75:

I did not have the Total Gym with the Pilates feature, but I had purchased one of the first Total Gym's that they had offered years ago.

Although I was young and inexperienced at the time, I remember not liking it. It was smooth, but because I was so light weight there was no way to get the resistance I needed as a male to gain muscle mass. Looking back, it did give a good range of motion and the movements were smooth and comfortable. So I guess it could not hurt to help rehabilitate both you and your husband. I would hope though that they added resistance bands or something so you are not just using your own body weight... no matter what the incline, its not enough for a lot of people.

So that's my opinion... if you get one and find that you don't like it, it makes for a comfortable bench I guess... nah! Maybe you can find one on display at Sears (that's where I bought the original) or some other department/sporting store rather than making your decision off an infomercial.

Regards
-StrtnOut

Old 09-23-2005, 09:40 AM   #4
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrtnOut
Hi Moxie75:

I did not have the Total Gym with the Pilates feature, but I had purchased one of the first Total Gym's that they had offered years ago.

Although I was young and inexperienced at the time, I remember not liking it. It was smooth, but because I was so light weight there was no way to get the resistance I needed as a male to gain muscle mass. Looking back, it did give a good range of motion and the movements were smooth and comfortable. So I guess it could not hurt to help rehabilitate both you and your husband. I would hope though that they added resistance bands or something so you are not just using your own body weight... no matter what the incline, its not enough for a lot of people.

So that's my opinion... if you get one and find that you don't like it, it makes for a comfortable bench I guess... nah! Maybe you can find one on display at Sears (that's where I bought the original) or some other department/sporting store rather than making your decision off an infomercial.

Regards
-StrtnOut
Thanks for the input..I think for me it would be a good peice of equipment but my husband no way would it be good for him except for rehab as you say..Thanks, Lisa

Last edited by Moxie75; 09-23-2005 at 09:40 AM.

Old 09-25-2005, 11:04 AM   #5
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Hi Mefit,

thanks for the input actually I have a gym in my home which I prefer as I hate waiting for machines and benches at the gym. My gym time is precious and I don't need anything frustrating me. I just want to go in and get done so in my home I can do that. I used to do pilates at a gym but I found it killed my neck on the floor. The reason for the Total Gym is I have to do squats and lunges as they are an integral part of my workouts. The total gym has this and I do not have to hold a bar while doing it. I also figured that it has the pilates thing and it is always something I wanted to get back to. I ended up ordering the total gym. It should be here soon and they do give you a 60 day trial so if it is not for me it goes back...I will let you know how it works..Thanks, Lisa

Old 09-25-2005, 04:06 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

degen95 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrtnOut
It was smooth, but because I was so light weight there was no way to get the resistance I needed as a male to gain muscle mass.
i remember the same thing happening to me. what i did was add another level or 2 of resistance beyond the capability of the machine by raising one end off the ground and also by sliding the sliding piece above the top of the vertical piece (beyond the last hole). it still was limited but i still got a reasonable workout when combining it with free weights. its completely useless for building leg strength/size.

i think its a good machine for the bare necessities of strength training and its really good if you supplement the total gym with free weights but by itself its not enough.

Old 09-26-2005, 04:02 AM   #7
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by degen95
i remember the same thing happening to me. what i did was add another level or 2 of resistance beyond the capability of the machine by raising one end off the ground and also by sliding the sliding piece above the top of the vertical piece (beyond the last hole). it still was limited but i still got a reasonable workout when combining it with free weights. its completely useless for building leg strength/size.

i think its a good machine for the bare necessities of strength training and its really good if you supplement the total gym with free weights but by itself its not enough.
That is what I plan to do use it with free weights. I cannot hold a straight bar anymore but the free weights/dumbells I can..thanks. Lisa

Old 09-26-2005, 11:13 AM   #8
(male)

StrtnOut HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by degen95

degen95 -

Props to you for being crafty. I mean at that stage of the game I didn't have any dumbells or anything to add resistance, nor would I have trusted myself holding anything slightly heavy while on a sliding board. I think I used mine for all of a month before I decided to give it to my brother-in-law who I believed to have used it ummm... never... before he turned around and sold it to someone. So to whom ever the new owner is, I hope they are lucky enough to read your advice.

Old 10-11-2005, 11:29 AM   #9
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

My total gym arrived and I have to say I am totally surprised and delighted as to the great workout I am getting. I have had it for 2 weeks now. My husband the one who said it would be a joke and who benches with 300lbs was also taken a back by how many different excercises and the intense workout you can get. All I know with every excercise I feel my abs working too. It really does get to the core...Lisa

Closed Thread