It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2005, 01:56 PM   #1
(male)

Zebadee HB User
Exclamation Woooohhhhhhhhhhoooooooooo!!!!!

I've finally got a treadmill, yes, a treadmill

Anyway, I've been running around 3.5 miles a day, some days 2 miles, some days 4 miles, it's normally around 200 calories lost, it takes me 30 minutes to lose 200 calories.

My question is, how long before I see a change in myself? I have a stomach that takes a lot to fill up, I have cut down on my in-take but find it hard to stick to not eating crisps and sweets. I'm 15 years old, I really want to lose my belly and gain a 6 pack. I do some light weights as well as 50 sit-ups a day. Everytime I eat something, even an apple or drink a glass of water after doing a workout, it seems like my stomach grows back, it''s really weird. It's like I lose weight but if I eat anything my belly comes back, do I have to starve myself in order to lose weight?

I eat baguettes, rice, meat at dinner etc. I really don't know what to do

Old 09-26-2005, 10:09 AM   #2
(male)

Zebadee HB User
Re: Woooohhhhhhhhhhoooooooooo!!!!!

I don't get many answers usually so it would be nice to get some for once!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2005, 11:04 AM   #3
(male)

StrtnOut HB User

Hi Gooner:

Because you are so young and still growing you need to make sure you are getting the proper amount of calories in order not to starve your body. I don't know any of your stats, but you should at least shoot for 2000 calories a day. Just make sure that they are healthy calories and limit your sweets. Everyone's stomach sticks out right after they eat, and some a long while after they eat. The best thing to do for this is to train your stomach to stay flat. Suck your gut in (not to the point where you are holding your breath), and work on keeping your back erect and shoulders pulled back. Af first it is going to be very hard to force yourself to do it, but it is important to keep catching yourself and correct it. By improving your posture, you will eventually train your abs to stay flat without having to think about it. The worst thing you can do is starve yourself because then your body will start eating your muscle's and the fewer calories your body will be able to burn on its own.

Everyone is different in terms of results, but you should notice a noticeable change in yourself within a month or two if you continue to do what you are doing. However, you should find your routine becoming easier after about 2 weeks. Make sure you get a program down and stick to it rather than just randomly deciding to do this amt, and another amt of miles another day. Your best bet is to try out some of those pre-programmed workouts on your machine. As you get better, increase the speed and incline. As for your situps, make sure that you are really concentrating on doing them correctly and not just banging out 50 of them. If you can really do 50 sit ups, try additng some weight with a medicine ball or a wieghted plate so that you can only do about 10-12reps per set. This will help build and bulk up your ab muscles that might not be big enough to show through even a lean body. Also, make sure that you are doing more than just the traditional crunch. Try bicycle maneuvers, bridges, reverse-crunches, etc.

At just 15, you are already far ahead of many people in terms of trying to live a healthy and active lifestyle. IMO don't worry about a six-pack just yet, focus on staying healthy but remember to enjoy being a kid!

Take care,
-StrtnOut

Old 09-26-2005, 12:16 PM   #4
(male)

Zebadee HB User

Thanks mate. I already hold my gut in, I've been doing it for 3 years and still no results.

Looks like the exercise it the important thing, I don't know what are 'good' foods, is rice etc?

Last edited by Zebadee; 09-26-2005 at 12:20 PM.

Old 09-27-2005, 08:56 AM   #5
(male)

Zebadee HB User

Any answers?

Old 09-27-2005, 08:22 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Dani Girl 78 HB User

I think that maybe you need to concentrate more on your stomache. Doing only 50 situps isn't a whole lot. Try doing more that involves your abs. Do you have a pilates ball? (hope you have heard of pilates) that really helps you to focus on your core. So that is an idea, if you don't or can't do pilates then do more crunches. Make sure that you are doing them the right way. Fingers interlocked behind head, chin up all the way (pick a stop on the ceiling and stare at that) and don't forget to breath. You can change up your reps. Try going side to side, right elbow to left knee...etc. Just figure out what works for you. Keep up the treadmil, but put more focus on the abs.

Good luck

Old 09-29-2005, 09:57 PM   #7
(female)

terry2006 HB User

Firstly, as StrtnOut said.. "you are so young and still growing you need to make sure you are getting the proper amount of calories in order not to starve your body"

Secondly, I have a question about your activity level before you started using your treadmill?

When I first started working out I was 40lbs heavier than I am now. I never exercised or cared what I ate. I was completely inactive and it showed in my waistline, butt, hips...you get the picture.

When I first started working out the treamill was my cardio of choice. I would started trying to jog (with an unrealistic goal of 30min.) but after 5 minutes @ 4.5mph, I would be panting and then I'd have to stop. Obviously, I was in bad shape.

But I went back on that treadmill everyday. Soon I was making it to 10 min. @ 4.5mph, then 20 min. @ 4.5mph, then 20 min @ 5.0mph...and so on. I found that after of month I dropped twenty pounds before I even knew it.

The reason I lost so much weight so fast (without dieting) was because my body had been in such a sedentary life for so long that once I put it to work, it went into shock and started using up it's reserves (fat) very inefficiently.

Once my body got used to this activity, continuing weighloss was be slower....really slow. The body is a very efficient machine and it will always try to condition itself to use up less energy to do the same activity (like jogging).

energy = calories

Notice how things get easier the more you do it...bc your body found an efficient way to do that activity.

Solution, change it up a bit. Up the intensity level, use a different cardio machine, do interval training instead of jogging at a steady pace, start using weights to build muscle. Point is, if your body gets used to a particular activity it will become very efficient and it will use up less energy doing the same activity. Try to keep your body as inefficient as possible .... which is definitely harder to do if you have been working out for many years.

Analogy:
= Inefficient car [40L tank] uses (burns) up more gas (gas=calories)
= efficient car [40L tank] uses up less gas
= so at the end of the race (30 min @ 6mph), inefficient car burned all of his gas ....whereas efficient car has 1/2 tank of gas left...efficient car will have to continue for another 30min @ 6mph to burn all of his gas
= therefore, inefficient body will burn more calories than a body that is efficient
= eventually, inefficient body will become efficient and weighloss will be a lot slower.

Old 09-30-2005, 09:18 AM   #8
(male)

Zebadee HB User

Thanks all.

Terry, before I started jogging on the treadmill the only sport I did was football twice a week, and sport we done in school. I ate a lot, I am now watching what I'm eating (no junk food) and am eating more salads.

I do some weights at the moment after I run. I totally understand what you mean by varieting my exercise, I play football, rugby in school at the moment in sport, jogging, weights every night, sometimes cricket and of course walking. Is that good?

When I'm on the treadmill I try to jog enough to burn 200 calories = ~32 minutes.

Any good?

Old 09-30-2005, 09:22 AM   #9
(male)

Zebadee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Girl 78
I think that maybe you need to concentrate more on your stomache. Doing only 50 situps isn't a whole lot. Try doing more that involves your abs. Do you have a pilates ball? (hope you have heard of pilates) that really helps you to focus on your core. So that is an idea, if you don't or can't do pilates then do more crunches. Make sure that you are doing them the right way. Fingers interlocked behind head, chin up all the way (pick a stop on the ceiling and stare at that) and don't forget to breath. You can change up your reps. Try going side to side, right elbow to left knee...etc. Just figure out what works for you. Keep up the treadmil, but put more focus on the abs.

Good luck
I have a abs swing thingy, where you sit on it and twista your abs around, any good?

Old 09-30-2005, 10:03 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Dani Girl 78 HB User

Im not sure that I know exactly what you are talking about, but it seems that it would put more focus on your abs, so if you are comfortable doing it then I say go for it.

Keep us posted on any changes and good luck

Old 09-30-2005, 11:30 AM   #11
(male)

Zebadee HB User

Thanks dude

Closed Thread