It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2005, 12:09 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User
Butt building and lifting

I already have quite a kaboose, but was wondering how I can lift and build up my butt a little more. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Old 09-25-2005, 02:12 PM   #2
(female)

zeez HB User
Re: Butt building and lifting

Hey there,

I've found that squats have done wonders for me. Lunges too. I do those on the Smith machine at the gym. I've just started doing the Stepmill for cardio and I've heard that is amazing. It is killer on the butt. I've always had a flat butt, but not any more!
~zeez
ps if you start doing squats with any amount of weight, be very careful of your form. Start out with no weight to get your form right. Have a trainer show you exactly how so you don't hurt your back. I just switched over to a squat machine instead of the Smith and I like it much better. I didn't feel quite right on the Smith. I didn't have a spotter so I couldn't lift a barbell with weights without one. But of course, you can start out doing them with dumbells. Good luck to ya!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2005, 11:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeez
Hey there,

I've found that squats have done wonders for me. Lunges too. I do those on the Smith machine at the gym. I've just started doing the Stepmill for cardio and I've heard that is amazing. It is killer on the butt. I've always had a flat butt, but not any more!
~zeez
ps if you start doing squats with any amount of weight, be very careful of your form. Start out with no weight to get your form right. Have a trainer show you exactly how so you don't hurt your back. I just switched over to a squat machine instead of the Smith and I like it much better. I didn't feel quite right on the Smith. I didn't have a spotter so I couldn't lift a barbell with weights without one. But of course, you can start out doing them with dumbells. Good luck to ya!
Whats a squat machine? Can I recreate it at home?

Old 09-30-2005, 06:51 AM   #4
(female)

zeez HB User

Hi Veggie Girl,

A squat machine is specially designed piece of gym equipment just for squats. I absolutely LOVE it! It's my all-time favorite machine next to the bench press. It's hard to describe, but I'll try. You stand on a gritty-textured platform and get under the "handlebars". They're like handlebars on a bike with a brake on one side. There are pads that fit over your shoulders and a padded back. There's a stack of weights in front of you. You select the weight you want, hold onto the handlebars, squat down and you'll hear a clicking sound. When you get to 90 degrees with your legs, lift and begin. When you are done and in the down position, squeeze the brake and it will release the weight so you can stand with no weight.

I like it because I don't have to worry about form and hurting myself. I can also lift really heavy weight (heavy for me!), which is what I like to do. There's no way you can duplicate the machine at home that I can think of.

If you're working out at home, lunges with dumbells would probably be really good. I was doing sumo squats at the gym but the weights I needed were too dang heavy to hold so I had to switch to the Smith machine. Sumo squats can be done at home with a dumbell. It's a variation of a squat where you hold one dumbell with the end down between your legs. Feet are pointed somewhat outward, making it target more of the inner thigh (which is what I wanted). I just had a heckuva time holding a 55lb dumbell. I'd be over in the "guy's section" of the gym and they'd look at me like, what is she doing???? Sumo squats are also called plie squats. I think that's how you spell it. Dumbells are very cheap, if you get the iron ones. The next time you are at a sporting goods store like Academy, try a Sumo squat and see what weight you would need. Or if you even like doing them. I liked doing them because they just felt good, but I could never get enough weight.

Just a suggestion....

~zeez

Old 09-30-2005, 10:37 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Resistance bands are also a possibility in lieu of dumbells. Very cheap, take up very little space. Just wad them up and put them in a drawer. Any kind of weight will work though. You can even hold books or gallons of water for added resistance.

Closed Thread