It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2005, 11:14 PM   #1
(male)

xHennersx HB User
For fitness benefits, what's a good amount of muscle one should have?

I've read posts and heard how having a certain amount of muscles incorporated into your body helps with your metabolism and fat burning.

Well, my goals are pretty simple actually; I'm not looking to a super big guy or a really ripped one either. I actually prefer a more lean body with minimal muscles (although not zero) and that's basically where am I headed towards at the moment.

So, I guess my question is...what's the "minimal" or "good amount" of muscles I should have to look lean, but not bulky? I suppose there's no definate way of actually measuring it though...

Old 09-27-2005, 09:00 AM   #2
(female)

AllysHeart HB User
Re: For fitness benefits, what's a good amount of muscle one should have?

There might be someone who can answer your questions, but they could respond with more information if you can provide some information about your current physique and workout routine.

Are you currently involved in a regular workout routine?

What is your height and weight? Your age?

Do you need to gain or lose any weight?

What is your experience level with weight lifting? Have you lifted weights in the past, or are you currently lifting weights?

Do you belong to a gym? Are you equipped to workout at home, or do you need recommendations for necessary home equipment?

If you can tell a little more about yourself and your goals, I believe there can be some good responses to your questions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2005, 02:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

***(edit)***

Last edited by Naxis; 09-27-2005 at 02:59 PM.

Old 09-27-2005, 02:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

There is no standard "amount" of muscle that is ideal for everyone. You really just have to gauge how you feel and look yourself. Don't worry too much about accidentally becoming too muscular. It's like accidentally becoming a doctor. You have to work pretty hard at it to be absurdly big. As you gain some muscle your body composition will change and getting lean will be easier, but theres no specific level where this happens. It's a process. Theres really no way to measure muscle amount other than by weight and body fat % (which will also give you your lean body mass %) so use the mirror or measuring tape until you get to where you'd like to be. Sticking to really basic exercises like presses, flyes, pullups, rows, squats and lunges with a weight that you can perform 3 sets of 10-12 reps, you will be able to tone and build a little muscle, but won't really gain a lot that way. Certainly no real bulk. It's an easy, basic fitness plan. Just make sure you hit all your muscle groups at least once a week and allow 24-48 hours between workouts for the same muscle group.

Last edited by Naxis; 09-27-2005 at 02:57 PM.

Closed Thread