It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2005, 09:22 PM   #1
(male)

nedfrin HB User
Exclamation Growing Muscle/ Keeping Lean

Long story short- i used to be a 190 pound lineman at 16, became very health concious/exercisefreak/caloriecounter, and went to 132 pounds. The start of this summer i changed it, i gained 32 pounds. dont ask.
I have gone through many self image problems, and right now i would really like to get my body top notch, and reduce alot of bodyfat.

Now, i was used to limiting myself around 1400 cals a day. I HAD the/ lose muscle, then fat, method. -its simple. it was easy.

Now, weighing in at 163, 6"0, i am trying to change my ways of nutrition. I really want to gain muscle, but i am debating about it because i want to loose the body fat. Now, i am obeying a 2000 calorie diet, (today was like 2500, but no harm) I want to get bigger, and reduce body fat.

Is 2000 too high, or too low. Btw, i eat very very healthy... and use whey.

I am 18. I exercise over 2 hours daily...

Last edited by nedfrin; 09-28-2005 at 09:22 PM.

Old 09-28-2005, 09:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Growing Muscle/ Keeping Lean

For your activity level, 2000 calories is conservative, but I wouldn't say it's too low. You should definitely see loss of body fat. But be aware that unless you are a beginner to weight training (which it doesn't sound like you are), losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time is extremely difficult and it is a slow process in both directions even if you are meticulous. It's easier to choose one goal (fat loss or muscle gain) and then when you get to a certain point, work toward the other one. It's certainly possible to gain muscle with minimal fat gain or to lose body fat with minimal muscle loss, but because you need a calorie surplus to gain muscle and a calorie deficit to lose fat, they are basically conflicting goals. Also remember that more muscle burns more calories, so if you were to increase muscle mass, the cutting phase will be easier. As long as the content of your diet is very clean, you shouldn't have much trouble in either venture.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2005, 06:03 PM   #3

never2L8 HB User

I agree with Exile, 2 hours exercise on only 2000 calories a day will not allow much in the way of muscle development. If it is 2 hours of weight work you are probably overtaxing your muscles and if it is cardio you would be burning too many calories. Remember that more is not always better with physical training.

Old 09-29-2005, 09:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

That is a very good point. I missed the part that said it was over 2 hrs a day. 2000 calories will definitely not cover that. If it's intense exercise, you may be burning that just during your exercise time alone. You'll lose muscle very quickly that way. Are you training for a sport or is it just your own exercise regimen? How much is cardio and how much is weight training?

Old 09-30-2005, 05:19 AM   #5
(female)

townlake HB User

so naxis - this is where I get confused - If I am working out and wanting to lose fat what is happening to the muscle - since I cannot build muscle and lose fat, can I lose fat and tighten and tone? Once I lose the fat on my stomach say, what is underneath it and how do I strengthen what is there?

Old 09-30-2005, 10:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

You certainly can tone and maintain muscle while you lose the fat. If you continue to lift, do some cardio, eat enough protein, time meals well, and keep a 500-1000 calorie deficit daily, you ought to be able to shed the fat while maintaining the hard earned muscle. Included in weight training is ab exercises. They won't make you lose the fat, but it will tone and strengthen the muscle underneath so that once the fat is gone, you will see tone in the abs. The original poster seems to be going through 'binge and purge' bulking and cutting cycles which is not healthy or helpful. Starving off all the muscle with the fat destroys all your efforts in the gym, not to mention lowering metabolism. Lasting, healthy fat loss is slow, but well worth it.

Old 09-30-2005, 12:07 PM   #7
(female)

townlake HB User

Thank you - I think this is the first time I have had it put in a way I can understand - I am working soooo hard to lose fat but I know I need muscle to help burn the fat - So there is a difference between toning and strengthing and "building". Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

Old 09-30-2005, 01:49 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Glad I could help.
Some people will tell you 'there is no such thing as toning. Only building muscle' and that really isn't excatly the case. Muscle tone is just the definition and hardness of the muscle as a result of conditioning from strength training. Muscle building makes them bigger and *more* defined of course (as well as the benefit of increased metabolism), but even fairly 'skinny' people can be toned.

Closed Thread