It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2005, 09:26 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

StanTheMan HB User
AB roller or Bicycle Exercise?

I want to lose my gut and I was wondering which is the better exercise for my abs,the AB roller or the Bicycle ab Exercise?
I read [URL=http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises.htm]HERE[/URL] that the Bicycle Exercise is the most effective ab exercise but I've also been reading some good things on here about the ab roller so which should I do?

I have been doing a brisk 40min walk almost every day and I have cut back on junk foods like by switching to diet pop and cutting back on fast foods like mcdonalds and BK and i've started eating smaller meals.So far I have lost 11 pounds but I'm still a big guy at 249 and only 5 foot 7...the thing I'm most embarrassed about is how far my gut sticks out,I know if I keep up what I'm doing it will eventually go away but I really want to flaten it out,any advice on which ab exercises I should start doing?

Last edited by StanTheMan; 09-28-2005 at 09:27 PM.

Old 09-29-2005, 06:48 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

GEORGEP HB User
Re: AB roller or Bicycle Exercise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanTheMan
I want to lose my gut and I was wondering which is the better exercise for my abs,the AB roller or the Bicycle ab Exercise?
I read [URL=http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises.htm]HERE[/URL] that the Bicycle Exercise is the most effective ab exercise but I've also been reading some good things on here about the ab roller so which should I do?

I have been doing a brisk 40min walk almost every day and I have cut back on junk foods like by switching to diet pop and cutting back on fast foods like mcdonalds and BK and i've started eating smaller meals.So far I have lost 11 pounds but I'm still a big guy at 249 and only 5 foot 7...the thing I'm most embarrassed about is how far my gut sticks out,I know if I keep up what I'm doing it will eventually go away but I really want to flaten it out,any advice on which ab exercises I should start doing?
I am a little taller than you are and I weigh 175. I walk everday myself and I am also trying to flatten my stomach more. I do crunches. I also use a wheel. I have read you can tighten up your stomach muscles but if you are overweight and have a lot of fat around your stomach area the only way to lose your gut is to lose weight.. At your height you should only weigh about 165 so you have a lot of weight to lose if you want to see any results..

Last edited by GEORGEP; 09-29-2005 at 06:52 AM. Reason: DID NOT REPLY CORRECTLY

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2005, 10:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

One thing to note is that the ab roller can be hard on your lower back. They're both good exercises but that is something to consider. And as was mentioned, ab exercises will not flatten the gut. Only diet, resistance training, and cardio will actually burn the fat to lean out the body.

Old 09-30-2005, 09:18 AM   #4
(female)

AllysHeart HB User

I give the ab roller two thumbs up! I also enjoy the stationary bikes at the gym. The two pieces of equipment are completely different.

The ab roller exercises can be done in 5 to 15 minutes. You'll get stronger and be able to do more and more crunches as you use the ab roller. Remember that the ab roller isolates and works only the abs. Everyone likes having a firm, toned tummy and defined ab muscles.

The exercise bike will provide the needed cardio. You'll develop strong, muscular legs with regular bike exercise, as well as having the benefit of a strong heart and healthy lungs. There are various levels of difficulty you can choose on the bike. You'll definitely break a sweat with the bike!

I can't make your choice for you. You should try to decide which piece of equipment matches your desire of fitness. Also, I believe the bike will be more costly and will take up more space.

Good luck with whatever you choose. You can't go wrong with either choice, since whatever exercise you prefer, you'll be doing your body and mind a world of good.

Old 09-30-2005, 10:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Bicycles are an ab exercise performed lying on your back, basically cycling your legs in the air. But stationary bikes *are* great cardio.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:39 AM   #6
(female)

AllysHeart HB User

Hello, Naxis! I read too fast, which is why I missed an important part of the original post!

Thanks for the clarification!

Closed Thread