It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2005, 04:13 PM   #1
(male)

Welshace HB User
not gaining strength

hi, i work out every monday and friday. i put 20kg on 1 barbell. Using this barbell i do 5 sets of 10 on benchpress, 3 sets of 10 bicep curls, 3 sets of 10 upright rows, 3 sets of 10 tricep exstension, i also do 1 set of 50 on a pecks machine, Also most nights i do 100situps and 100pressups. I have been doin this for about 2months and so far i still c no progress. i have gained a little strength but my muscles seem to be staying the same size. In a day i take on about 70grams of protien. i want to get stronger for rugby but i still dont c me being strong enough. has anyone got ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2005, 07:20 PM   #2

Exile HB User
Re: not gaining strength

Lots of things wrong with that. First, waht is your diet like? How much do you weigh? I think a little more protien might be helpful Also, if you aren't getting enough calories in general, you wont grow.

If you have been doing the same exercies with no results for 2 months, change them. 5x10 bench is a bit much. Maybe drop it to 3x8, and add some more weight.

LOWER BODY. WORK IT. Your next workout plan should include squats and deadlifts, no question asked.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2005, 04:30 AM   #3
(male)

Welshace HB User

thanks mate, and by the way i weigh 9 stone and 2pounds. im only 15 see. im not a big eater how could i increase my appotite?

Old 10-02-2005, 10:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Eat more that is less filling. Adding healthy fats (olive oil, peanut butter, flax oil, nuts, seeds, etc.) will increase overall calories pretty easily.

Old 10-16-2005, 05:46 AM   #5
(male)

PhillyGuy HB User

First of all your workout needs a major change. You shouldn't do the same amount of weight on every exercise, because you can naturally bench like 3 times as much as you can curl, for example. You need to change the amount of weight for each different exercise. To gain muscle and power, the right amount of weight is the amount you can't do more than 10 reps with when you try your hardest. If you can do more than 10 when you put all your effort into it it's NOT ENOUGH WEIGHT. Doing 100 reps on a light weight will tone muscle and burn fat but it won't build muscle mass nearly as well. O yeah, and eat as much as you can of everything (with some common sense- natural things like meat, bread, fruit and vegetables, not just a gallon of ice cream). You should put all the power and emotion you can into each rep, because the harder your muscles work, they more they break down so that can build up stronger.

Old 10-16-2005, 07:54 AM   #6

Sixbells99 HB User

Using the same weight for barbell press and barbell curls is wrong. The amount of weight you use is directly proportional to the size of the muscle and the ability of the exercise to isolate the muscle. For example a bench-press uses the front shoulders the triceps and the biceps as well as the chest. Where as a bicep curl pretty much uses just the bicep. So naturally your going to be able to lift a lot more on a bench-press than a bicep curl. As Chest is a much larger muscle and other muscles are also being used.

To gain strength you need to be progressively lifting more weight in every session and you need the correct amount of rest between sessions. Now your also very young so be careful when lifting heavy. Make sure your form is good, you donít want an injury that you could be carrying for the next 20 years. I injured my bicep at 17 and it took 14 years before I fully recovered from it.

I would advise for strength training you do 3 sets and a pyramid system. This is where on each set you increase the weight and decrease the reps. This is also a good way to find your upper strength limits in a relatively safe way. For example with a bench-press start Set 1 with 12 reps. Then Set 2 10 reps and increase the weight by about 15% Then Set 3 8 reps and increase the weight by about 10-15%. The last rep should be very difficult to do, but do not train to failure until you have been exercising correctly with good form for at least 6 months. Train no more than 3 times a week as the heavier you train the more rest you need. Also do some research find a trainer or a good book. Weight training should be measured in years. The key to strength training is keeping it up for months and months. So invest some time to make sure you are doing a good program, not something your making up yourself, which in the long will probably yield poor results and de-motivate you.

Last edited by Sixbells99; 10-16-2005 at 07:56 AM.

Closed Thread