It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2005, 09:15 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User
GI rating of Maltodextrin?

i know its classed as a complex carbohydrate, but does anyone know what the GI rating of it is?

alex.

Old 10-03-2005, 10:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: GI rating of Maltodextrin?

On a gauge of white sugar being around 142, maltodextrin is around 137. You'll also see it for around 104. No two sources have the same number. I'm obviously not allowed to post sources, but a search on "GI RATING MALTODEXTRIN" will give you a few.

Last edited by Naxis; 10-03-2005 at 10:42 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2005, 01:15 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naxis
On a gauge of white sugar being around 142, maltodextrin is around 137. You'll also see it for around 104. No two sources have the same number. I'm obviously not allowed to post sources, but a search on "GI RATING MALTODEXTRIN" will give you a few.
all these rating systems really confuse me. before i heard that whey protein has a rating of 104, when i always thought the max rating was 100. with the GI rating in my book (food for sport) it says that the max Gi rating is 100 and that glucose has that max rating. anyway, enough quibbling over details, the message from your answer is clear- maltodextrin has a very high GI! would you therefore say there is little point in purchasing it over glucose powder, considering maltodextrin's GI is not that much lower than glucose and the latter is considerably cheaper to buy than the former?

alex.

Old 10-04-2005, 01:26 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

okay, another question. if we were to say that maltodextrin has a similar GI to glucose and therefore there was no difference in the way it influenced blood sugar/ glycogen replenishment then which would you say is better as a choice for a person wanting to avoid aggrevating acne? a guy came into my shop and said that he wanted to avoid the weight gain prowders we have because the high sugar content (fructose) aggrevated his acne when he used the powder previously. would maltodextin do the same?

alex.

Old 10-04-2005, 08:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

I really have no idea how it will affect acne. I'm not even sure that a dermatologist would know - but it's possible. I don't know that the GI rating is even relevant to the issue. He could try adding something containing maltodextrin (or small amounts at first) and see if it causes any problems. But I'd be inbclined to recommend that he buy his own whey and add things to it as needed (dextrose/maltodextrin). Without added fillers, flavors etc. he might get much better results. And to be honest, he doesnt NEED to have high GI carbohydrates in the shake. It's a small tweak that makes a difference over time, especially for a hard gainer, but if the trade off is out of control acne, there are other avenues.
BTW, how does he know it is the fructose, not the whey causing his problems?

Old 10-10-2005, 08:25 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naxis
I really have no idea how it will affect acne. I'm not even sure that a dermatologist would know - but it's possible. I don't know that the GI rating is even relevant to the issue. He could try adding something containing maltodextrin (or small amounts at first) and see if it causes any problems. But I'd be inbclined to recommend that he buy his own whey and add things to it as needed (dextrose/maltodextrin). Without added fillers, flavors etc. he might get much better results. And to be honest, he doesnt NEED to have high GI carbohydrates in the shake. It's a small tweak that makes a difference over time, especially for a hard gainer, but if the trade off is out of control acne, there are other avenues.
BTW, how does he know it is the fructose, not the whey causing his problems?
is there any advantage in buying maltodextrin over glucose powder then, taking them to have similar GI ratings?

Old 10-10-2005, 09:24 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

It's a very small difference. And glucose has higher GI still, so no. I wouldn't say there's any advantage of maltodextrin over dextrose (glucose). Probably the reverse, for building muscle anyway.

Closed Thread