It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2005, 07:59 AM   #1
(female)

Sunbunny09 HB User
Question Don't want huge muscles!!

Hi All,
I do cardio for 30 mins a day, six days a week. I am slowly increasing that by 5 mins each week. I would like to implement some sort of weight lifting because I heard it speeds up weight loss and I could certainly use some tone. How do I incorporate this into my workout plan? Aren't I supposed to alternate cardio and weightlifting every other day? I would like to stick with my cardio every day and then add in weightlifting every other day. Is that safe? I have heard mixed reviews about lifting weights right after cardio. Also, I DO NOT WANT TO BULK UP WHATSOEVER. I am short with a pretty small frame but I feel like I look football playerish (broad shoulders and whatnot) in fact, I sorta look like this guy..notice the short legs and broad shoulders > My dad was short and stalky and I hate that I think I inherited that. I only want to tone and lengthen--not get Schwarzenegger-izd. How much weight should I lift and how many reps. I am 5'1" 138- I've lost 8lbs in about a month. Any advice?

Old 10-04-2005, 03:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Don't want huge muscles!!

1. Do weights before cardio if you do them on the same day. This is better for the workout as well as helping with fat loss during the catrdio because the weight trainingf will use up glycogen, which will for the body to use more fat when you do your cardio. Otherwise, alternate days.

2. It is not easy for women to get bulky due to the lack of testosterone, so please don't avoid the heavier weights like walking near them will turn you into Chyna. It won't happen. You'd really have to lift hard and often and eat the same way.
To start, use presses, rows, squats (using a smith machine or just leg presses) and crunches which will hit all the major muscle groups. Find a weight that you can do 3 sets of 10-12 reps with. The last reps should be hard, but not to the extent that your form crashes. Just remember that if it is too easy, it's useless. You have to stress the muscles to get anything out of it.

Hope that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2005, 03:37 PM   #3
(female)

Sunbunny09 HB User

Naxis,
Thank you so much for your advice. That was exactly what I was looking for!

SB

Old 10-05-2005, 04:56 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

millpark26 HB User

Higher repetions with lower weights will ensure you don't "bulk up".

Old 10-05-2005, 07:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

It will also ensure that you don't get *any* lean muscle.

Old 10-05-2005, 12:31 PM   #6

Sixbells99 HB User

A female has approximately 15 times less testosterone than a man. Also muscle builds slowly if lucky a man will build 10 lbs of lean muscle in a year, a bad program and it could be much less. With 15 times less testosterone a female lifter has as much chance of accidentally waking up in the morning after a hard weight training session looking like the incredible hulk as I do waking up in the morning looking like Pamela Anderson. Muscle does not creep up on you, it requires tremendous commitment, sweat, determination and discipline and youíll feel that you earned every ounce of it. Now Iím going into so much detail about these facts to put your mind at rest that a good 3 day a week strength training program will only give you positive benefits and enhance your femininity, you will become toned and more lean and athletic. I also want to stress you will not look like an extra out of a low budge cyborg movie. The body has a wonderful way of keeping everything in equilibrium. Itís only when you introduce artificial stimulants such as steroids will the body start to look freaky.

With regards exercise advice thereís not really much to add as I feel Naxis has made a very good post. All I can say is you should be aiming to build lean muscle in the most efficient method possible so I would avoid high reps, why take two hours when you can do it in 30 mins. If you go with high reps, youíll just burn cals and you will reduce the effectiveness of building muscle. If you go with what Naxis said youíll be close to hitting the sweet spot.

Last edited by Sixbells99; 10-05-2005 at 12:33 PM.

Old 10-08-2005, 04:32 PM   #7
(female)

Sandra49 HB User

I have a follow-up question. I have a Bow-flex, which allows me to use higher weights than I would with free weights. Every other day, I do my upper body. One of the exercising I do is rowing. I do 20 lbs on each side. My other upper body exercises are bicep and tricep (2 sets, 12 reps, 20 lbs each), and one where I stand up with my arm extended for deltoids. I have noticed that I am developing what looks like a muscle from my deltoids to my underarm. It looks a little too bulky for my taste. What should I do to stop that bulky look, of course I do not want it turning into flab either. Thanks

Old 10-08-2005, 05:47 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

it's the latissimus dorsi (lats). Do lighter back exercises (rows).

Old 10-09-2005, 02:38 AM   #9

Sixbells99 HB User

Lats are normally the first muscles that gain mass. For me I only have to look at rowing exercises and they grow. As Naxis just lift lighter, with higher reps. Perhaps 20 reps to sets.

As for muscles turning into fat, they are two totally separate things; muscle canít turn into fat no more than an apple can turn into a banana. Muscle is more calories consuming than fat. So when you lose your muscle if you do not reduce your calories the excess calories that use to maintain the muscle, will be turned into fat. But it has nothing to do with what the muscles turns into which is where people often get confused. They see fat after they have stopped exercises and thing that the lost muscle is the reason. The reality itís just a calorie out calorie in thing.

However in your case all you want to do is change regimens to reduce muscle. You will be upping your cardio by reducing the weight and upping the reps and so I donít think you have anything to worry about with regards gaining fat.

Old 10-09-2005, 05:26 AM   #10
(female)

Sandra49 HB User

Thank you both Sixsbell, and Naxis!!!

This is as good as having a personal trainer.

I did not know that muscle does not turn in to fat, it interesting and makes sense that it is what the body does with the extra calories.

About my lats, as I said I am doing 20lbs on each side, would going down to 5lbs be ok?

Also, now that I have your attention, I have another question, I have never been able to achieve definition in my arms, that is why I was shock to see my lats respond. I am now doing 20 lbs on tricep and bicep curls (2 sets each). I have done them for years with less weight with seemingly no results. Normally with 10 lbs. Since I have been working out on the bowflex I have gone up to 20 lbs.

So now I have bulky lats, and fat arms!!!!

So should I go down to 5lbs on lats and go up in weight for my arms?

Thank You

Last edited by Sandra49; 10-09-2005 at 05:29 AM.

Old 10-09-2005, 09:30 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Quote:
would going down to 5lbs be ok?
That's probably too light. If there's not SOME stress, the exercise is useless (or turns into cardio). Go with 10 or 15 bs.

Definition comes with fat loss. If you're building muscle but feeling bulky for 'fatter' and dont see the definition you'd like, change up the diet a bit and try for a little leaner. Just a little leanness can make a big difference in the appearance in muscle definition.
Also make sure you are working your shoulders. The deltoids (shoulder muscles) have a lot to do with the appearance of definition in the arms.

Closed Thread