It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2005, 08:40 AM   #1
(female)

alarose HB User
question/s about using gym/burning calories

Ok...I just started seriously working out at the YMCA gym...about 3 weeks ago (I've been doing very well). I started out with a half hour, and now I am working out about and hour and a half M, T, W, and Friday. I use the weight machines (I don't know what they are called...the ones where you work individual mussles with certain parts of your legs, and even your love mussles area...lol I just thought that was a funny machine).

I've additionally been doing the treadmil at a high rate for about a half hour, and also the bike for about 20 minutes. I am not going to start using this elipical machines (I think that is what it is called...it is this machine where it is like stepping and walking on a treadmil at the same time. It is so easy on your knees and you get a wonderful workout but with less stress).

So...I am also watching what I eat. I just want to make sure I'm not hurting myself.

How many calories does someone normally burn using the weight lifting machines? I do them for about 45 minutes, going from one to the other. I burn close to 350 calories at the elipical (which I am going to use from now on). In the morning I normally eat a bagel, and for lunch I have a slimfast of some sort (about 210 calories).

How much should I be eating with what I am working out? Should I be worried about that? I've been starting to feel a bit funny lately, but I'm not sure if it is from working out or stress.

Thanks for any help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2005, 10:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: question/s about using gym/burning calories

What are your current stats? Height/weight/age/sex. You need to be eating at LEAST your BMR in calories each day, whis is roughly 10 or 11 x bodyweight. On days that you exercise, you'll want to increase that some usually by 200-300 calories. Eating something before and after you workout will generally cover this.

Old 10-04-2005, 11:34 AM   #3
(female)

alarose HB User

Well, I did a BMI calculator and it says I should be eating 1563 calories. So, when I am excercising it would be better to eat at least 1700 calories? What is the absolute minimum that I could eat without it being bad or dangerious?

I am a college students, and I don't have much money for food. We have free access to this gym.

WHat are some of the symptoms for not getting enough calories? I've been feeling a bit lightheaded a few times during the last couple of days, and I've been drinking plenty of water. Pluss, it seems like when I exercise, I have a hard time working up a good appitite for supper...the only real meal I eat a day.

I normally eat something for breakfast (like I had a bagel this morning), for lunch I had a slimfast shake, and for supper tonight I am going to the cafeteria...not sure how many calories I eat there, but I normally take a good serving of meat, about 1 cup of carbs, some vegs. or a salad, and a big glass of milk. IF there is soup I have some soup also.

Old 10-04-2005, 01:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

... what are your stats?

And based on what you just said, your whole diet neeeds an overhaul. If you have one 'main' meail a day and it's dinner, you're in bad shape. I'll repost an old thread of diet basics for you. I hope it'll help out some.

Last edited by Naxis; 10-04-2005 at 01:43 PM.

Old 10-04-2005, 01:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

here ya go. I know in your situation you may not be able to do or eat everything as you really ought to, but finding a happy medium you can live with will make a difference.
Diet 101: there are a lot of methods to reaching the same goals, but a few "rules" that must be followed.
Calories are the primary factor in determining fat loss. You must have a caloric deficit (burning more than you are eating) on a consistent, daily basis or you will not lose fat. Conversely, if you eat too little, your body will slow its metabolism and hang onto fat, so you have to find the right range for your body. General rule of thumb is 10-12x bodyweight in calories each day (higher in the range if you're working out). Or use one of the online calculators to identify your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) and then account for daily activity level to more accurately determine how many calories you burn each day and thus figure out how much of a deficit you need to safely lose weight. If you can, divide those daily intake calories into 4 - 6 small meals to eat throughout the day (every 2-3 hours). It will keep you from being hungry and preventing binges and keep metabolism up so that you will use the nutrients and burn fat more efficiently and even out blood sugar levels.
Once that is in order, check the content of your diet.
You need to be getting enough protein to build and maintain lean muscle mass (which keeps metabolism high) which is generally .8 to 1g per pound of body weight. It can be up to 2g if you're extremely active. This will also help keep your body from storing fat. Egg whites, chicken or turkey breast, fish, lean beef, even nuts, soy beans, tofu, various legumes and dairy.
Carbs should be complex. Avoid sugars and white foods when possible (white bread, white rice, pasta etc) because your body metabolizes them like it would sugar which increases likelihood of fat storage. Whole grain breads, oats, and brown rice and the like are burned more slowly and less likely to be stored. The key is to keep blood sugar levels fairly even. Vegetables and grains are always a good choice, fruits are ok, but don't overdo it (high sugar).
You must have fats. They are not the devil. But fat has 9 calories per gram (as opposed to 4 calories per gram for carbs and protein) so those calories can add up fast. A little healthy/unsaturated fat each day will help your body to use it's own fat for fuel (under a caloric deficit), as well as regulate hormones and various body functions. Olive oil, flax oil, fatty fish like salmon and mackerel, nuts and seeds all have good fat.

In addition, try to drink 1-3 litres of water a day. Sipping constantly throughout the day or 8-16 oz. with each meal should help to make the quota. It's good for all body functions, clearing out toxins, clearing up skin and keeping you feeling satiated all day.

Old 10-04-2005, 01:55 PM   #6
(female)

alarose HB User

oh sorry...my stats are 5'5/160lbs/21/F

So...using the x 10 rule, I should be eating around 1600 calories if I'm not working out. 1900-2000 calories is a good amount for the amount that I work out?

Like, today I had a bagel for breakfast (it was a white bagel, normally I have wheate but the cafe. was out and i take them from there the night before), for breakfast a slim fast shake (which is 210). I've been drinking plenty of water. I am not sure how much I am eating at the cafeteria, but it doesn't seem much more than what my friends eat.

shoot...I didn't realize how low I was. I should get some more snack foods during the day. I have some things in my room I could eat/drink.

So...today at the gym I worked off 350 calories on the elipitical and I also did the weight lifting equipment for about 40 minues (not sure how many calories that burns).

So...if I do that during the day...I should eat an additional 200 or 300 calories? That seems like a lot.

Thanks for all of the help Naxis

Old 10-04-2005, 03:04 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

You're right on about the calories. Around 1600 on 'normal' days and between 1800-2000 on exercise days. Sticking to this, you will still be in a calorie deficit for the day, but not so much that you're likely to run into a starvation response, which may be what's happening now. The big thing is to space out your meals and try to have about the same amount of calories in each meal. Playing catch-up at dinner is doing much more harm than good. Eat a little something before you work out so you have enough energy and a little something after so your muscles can start the recovery process right away. Try it for a few weeks and see if you don't feel better *and* lose weight.
By the way, your goal is weight loss, right? It might have been a hasty assumption, but that's 90% of the posts.

Old 10-04-2005, 03:55 PM   #8
(female)

alarose HB User

Yes, my goal is weight loss. My overall goal is 145, and see where I am at from there. I've slowly but surely been loosing sense highschool.

When I was a junior in highschool I weighed 220, and I lost most of that with slimfast, and for the last couple of years Taebo. This past summer I got very sick with Lymes, and lost most of my energy. Wasn't looking good there for awhile, when the antibiotics finally started kicking in and I got my energy back, I felt great! I went to the gym at first just for 15-20 minutes to gain some energy back, because I was as weak as a mouse because I could barely go for a short walk all summer. I started really enjoying it, and I just recently started using the weight machines to help tone up. I think it is helping.

I've lost 10 pounds sense school started (beginning of september).

thank you for the advice of what I should be eating. I will make sure to eat more smaller meals during the day, and I will try to make sure that I am taking in enough calories. I've really been feeling kind of crappy lately, and I've suspected I've been over doing it.

Closed Thread