It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2005, 02:27 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User
need help with adjusting my diet to fit my exercise routine and goals

Okay, I'm trying to lose a bit of weight but I don't want to put myself on a diet that's like too strict because I've been trying this forever and it's never worked because I wasn't consistant, so I'm giving up stuff like junkfood and white rice, potatoes etc. but not like tracking if I get enough protein. So okay I'm female, 17 years old, 5'2 1/2, about 117 lbs and I wanna lose 10 pounds and I've been trying forever so anyway I started. But I still eat this meal every day about 2 hours before I go to the gym because I figure I will burn the carbs anyway. Whole-grain pasta with low-fat bolognaise (basically tomato sauce with lean meat) and parmasam cheese and all together this meal is like 250 kcal. It's also my dinner I guess. Is this meal okay? I always eat like a biscuit which is about 60 kcal about an hour before I go there too. And sometimes afterwards. Is this bad?

Like usually I eat about 150 kcal of breakfast, bicycle to school for about 30 mins, at 10 am I eat like some yogurt (50 kcal), at 12 some more yogurt (50 kcal), 1.30 bicycle to home +-30 mins, and at like 2 pm I eat like another 250 kcal, at 3 pm like another 150, at 4pm another 200 5pm I eat like 300 kcal, at 6 I eat a snack that consists of 60 kcal, then head to the gym... exercise for 1 or 2 hours (1 hour of strength training followed by 30-60 minutes or cardio or just 60 mins of cardio), so I get home and get in like another 200 kcal. Then maybe later another 50 kcal... Is this okay? I eat a lot of carbs I think my ratios are probably like 60:25:15 (carb - protein - fat) and I eat lots of whole-grains, fruits, veggies and lean meats. I take omega-3 supplements.

So anyway for the exercising part I bicycle and hour together to and from school (at a relaxed pace), and I do 5-6 hours of cardio at the gym a week, and 2 hours of strength training (or three but one of them isn't with weights but with bodyweight).

So anyway will this get me the results within 3 months? Or will I have to take on a stricter diet... And I would eat more in the morning but I'm at school and I have to pretend I'm fasting on the ramadam (you know the muslim religion thing), long story don't feel like explaining. Anyway while I'm at school I can only eat like yogurt when the bathroom is empty. Is it bad that I eat so little in the morning? Is that bad for my metabolism? My metabolism sucks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2005, 08:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User
Re: need help with adjusting my diet to fit my exercise routine and goals

could anyone please help me?

Old 10-08-2005, 09:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

You seem to be eating way under where you need to be. It doesnt look like you're even hitting 1000 calories a day and that's not good. Only 250 calories between breakfast and 1:30 is definitely bad. Not even considering the 1-2 hours of exercise. You're going to run right into a starvation response which will ruin your fat loss efforts.
Your ratios are fine (if they are accurate) although the content is not really very conducive for fat loss (not that you have much to lose anyway). You need to make sure you are eating at LEAST you BMR in calories each day and actually count the nutritional content for a few days so you *know* what you're getting and what your ratios are.

Old 10-08-2005, 12:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

You should try to divide your calories pretty evenly throughout the day, eating every 2-3 hours. You just have the bulk of your calories later in the day (which is okay surrounding your exercise) leaving a pretty large gap in the morning. Just shift things around a bit. 1300-1600 should be fine (and a 2000 calorie day is a good plan to keep metabolism high). But really, for the "last few pounds" content is very important. High GI carbs are out. Good fats are a necessity. More lean protein is important. Fibrous veggies are helpful. You might replace the yogurt with something else (hard boiled egg maybe?) I personally think dairy is a hinderance in getting really lean.

Old 10-08-2005, 01:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

Thanks I will use your advice. Is yogurt really bad? I thought dairy was good for getting lean because it contains calcium and protein, I mean it's 0% fat yogurt, is that bad too? So is this whole-grain pasta high GI? And how about oatmeal? Whole-grain crackers with cottage cheese? Should I just eat veggies & fruits to get in carbs or what? Thanks.

Old 10-08-2005, 04:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

It's not the fat in dairy, it's the lactose. The calcium and protein are great, but I always had a hard time getting really lean while eating dairy. (I'm vegan now, so it's not an issue anymore). I give the same advice to my clients and generally get better results.
Whole grain pasta and oats are not high GI. Both are good carbs. It's what you put on it that you have to watch out for. Cottage cheese is still on my dairy list, but that's up to you. Crackers and breads are usually best to avoid if you can help it. And make sure you're getting in unsaturated fats. That's just as important. Good luck!

Old 10-09-2005, 07:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

Thank you. I won't stop eating yogurt because I can't really imagine it's best for weight loss. Articles always say it's really healthy if it's low-fat. But I will limit it because if it's true what you're saying, then I don't want this to ruin my diet. Thanks a lot you've been a great help.

Old 10-09-2005, 10:30 AM   #8
(female)

qinghaimolly HB User

Since it's ramadan for a while, you would do better to get up early and have a big meal then! That way your small snacks throughout the day will be more satisfying. As for yogurt, the problem isn't so much the fat or the lactose; it's the high amounts of sugar they add to the yogurt. Make sure you're sticking to plain, nonfat yogurt, which you can sweeten with splenda or a couple of berries. I found that yogurt in the mornings was helpful in losing weight.

Old 10-09-2005, 12:08 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

thanks molly, do you think that non-fat strawberry yogurt with artificial sweeteners (no sugar) is okay too?

Old 10-12-2005, 11:05 AM   #10
(female)

twestwood HB User
Wink Re: need help with adjusting my diet to fit my exercise routine and goals

i've been reading what everyones been putting and you're not actually thinking about the one minor thing about weight loss and excersise........muscel is heavier! When you build up you're muscels you actually put weight on. I've not been on a diet or counting calories or anything, i've just cut out take aways and fast food, made my meal portions smaller, and try to eat 5 fruit and veg a day. I excersise seriously 3 times a week, aerobics twice and an early morning swim on saturdays. if you do serious excersise everyday you are not allowing your muscles to adjust properly and when you take a break from excersise you will def feel it. When you're at home try to keep active, not excersise active, just doing things, it keeps the blood flowing properly round the system and also gets the brain going. I've been on every diet since i was 12...i'm not 22 and finally have lost around 7 and a half stone. i'm also 5"2 and a half and have always been the chubby girl. But by changing the way you eat....instead of boil veg, steam them. Don't eat too much of anything and don't cut things out totally....you'll end up making yourself ill. These foods are there for a reason, our bodies need them. I still eat chocolate and now still eat the odd take away, crisps and various fatty nice chocy things i shouldn't, but again, they also contain things that in some ways are good for you. the key is not to over do it. counting your calories is good but don't be obsessed with it. the key is variation, but stick for 5 fruit and veg they are vital to you digestion and health. All of this information i obtained when i was seriously ill......i've had advice from top consultants and nutrionists. Good luck!!!!!

Old 10-16-2005, 01:19 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

Thanks twestwood. Sorry for the late reply, I hadn't realised you posted here lol. I understand that muscle is heavier and I take bodypump classes to gain a bit muscle. But I'm not actually looking for becoming big, because I am pretty short (5'3 ft) so a lot of muscles don't look pretty. What I do is I take 2 bodypump classes a week and I do some ab exercises as well for muscle. Plus one hours of calisthenics a week. I want to gain some muscle but maybe only about a pound cos I already have some muscles, and lose like 8 pounds of bodyfat. I think it's okay for me to exercise almost everyday because I've been exercising for about 2 years now. I try to keep active at home but I also need to work on my homework and stuff and sometimes I just need a rest. I like what you said about the dieting part I will keep that in mind. Congrats on your weight loss.

Closed Thread