It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2005, 01:42 PM   #1
(female)

kgsmith HB User
Unhappy what's a good protein shake!

Hi Guys and Gals I am trying to eat more protein and cut out sugar, cakes and cookies (all the things I like) Lately I have done pretty good by eating more nuts and fruit for a snack rather than a something sugary. I am interested in protein shakes. What do you add the powder to? Does it come flavored? Does it taste good? I just don't want to invest more money into something I would have to choke down.. Any suggestions would be helpful.
kg

Old 10-09-2005, 06:58 PM   #2
(male)

StoneTemple HB User
Re: what's a good protein shake!

I take chocolate isopure with milk it taste good.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2005, 06:03 PM   #3
(female)

cat3883 HB User

I really like Worldwide Pure Protein Drinks. They come in different flavors. I really like the vanilla and strawberry but the chocolate is good too. You can find them on different sites.

Old 10-13-2005, 05:00 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

DoOoOoM HB User

Optimum Nutrition is probably your best bet when it comes to taste. Their new fruit punch flavor is really not that bad.

Old 10-15-2005, 12:26 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsmith
Hi Guys and Gals I am trying to eat more protein and cut out sugar, cakes and cookies (all the things I like) Lately I have done pretty good by eating more nuts and fruit for a snack rather than a something sugary. I am interested in protein shakes. What do you add the powder to? Does it come flavored? Does it taste good? I just don't want to invest more money into something I would have to choke down.. Any suggestions would be helpful.
kg
I just discovered that Zone makes a pure protein shake aka no added sweetners and such, yet it still tastes good go figure. It also seems to dissolve in milk when you stir it in, without the aid of a blender which is very convienient.

Last edited by Jennita; 10-15-2005 at 12:27 AM.

Old 10-18-2005, 10:37 PM   #6
(female)

terry2006 HB User

AST Sports Nutrition makes really good whey protein. Called VP2 Whey Protein Isolate. Be careful, not all protein is the same. Need to look whether the protein is Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC), Whey Protein Isolate (WPI) or Hydrolyzed Protein (HP)

WPC is the cheapest and gives yeilds of around %50-60 protein, WPI is more expensive bc it's more expensive to produce and has protein yeilds of %95-100 pure protein. Hydrolyzed is the best but very expensive. Most brands use a blend of all three protein grades.

Also, look to see how the protein is processed. Some labels won't tell you how the protein is processed. It's important the the protein is processed through either Cross-Flow Microfiltration or Ultrafiltration. Lots of brands process their protein through Ion exchange. Ion exchange isn't bad but more protein would end up denature and unusuable.

So even though the label say 25g of whey protein if it's WPC using ion exchange only 1/2 of that is quality protein and likely even less of that is usuable, undenatured protein.

Old 10-19-2005, 04:00 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

firewtr38 HB User

I like to use soy protein powder. Spirutein or your healthfood store might have a brand of its own. It comes in all kinds of flavors. You can mix it in just about anything (milk, juice, soy milk, etc). I used to do this combo with one scoop of soy protein powder (vanilla flavored), one packet of instant breakfast (chocolate), stir that together and then add 16oz of milk. It's pretty darn good!

Old 10-22-2005, 08:39 AM   #8

Tad HB User

Hi My Dr. told me about a shake I think that is pretty good, You use 100% whey powder the vanilla ice cream flavor . You take 1/2 C plain yogurt ( I like to use the vanilla flavor yogurt) 1C water, 1C any kind of berries a scoop of the whey powder and a packet of splenda or sweet N low etc. blend and enjoy. It makes a pretty thick shake and pretty tasty.

Old 10-22-2005, 08:32 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad
Hi My Dr. told me about a shake I think that is pretty good, You use 100% whey powder the vanilla ice cream flavor . You take 1/2 C plain yogurt ( I like to use the vanilla flavor yogurt) 1C water, 1C any kind of berries a scoop of the whey powder and a packet of splenda or sweet N low etc. blend and enjoy. It makes a pretty thick shake and pretty tasty.
Chances are the protein powder already has a sweetner so you probably don't need the extra pack and the berries are sweet too. Chemical sweetners aren't so healthy to have alot of.

I like your shake, though, the idea of using the yougart sounds yummy and that thickness idea really seems like it would really satisfy!

Old 10-23-2005, 06:32 AM   #10
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Anything genetically manufactured by man is not a healthy source of protein. My suggestion to you would be getting it from legumes, whole grains or organic free range meats. Otherwise you are just putting toxins in your body..Lisa

Old 12-07-2005, 10:00 PM   #11
(female)

kgsmith HB User

Hey everyone! thanks for all of your imput on the different types of protein shakes. I am going to give a few a try!! Good Health to you all!!!

Closed Thread