It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2005, 01:48 PM   #1
(female)

DaPickle HB User
working out not working?

I'm a new poster here

female, 23, 5'2 157 lbs

I've been going to the gym since I was 17 years old, about 5 years now.

I've done running programs, lots of cardio, switching to weight training, hired a trainer... all that stuff! I've steadily have gained weight (going from 130 lbs - 157 lbs in two years). I don't diet, but I am conscience of what I eat, I drink daily requirments for water, snack on healthy foods and keep "Protien" rich foods in my daily meals.

I have been getting so upset with it all, I work out and work out, and just gain more and more weight. About 3 weeks ago my trainer put me on "Circut training". I have never done it before, and I absolutely love it! It's amazingly fun for me, and it's a "quicker" work out than anything I've done before. I feel my body changing (no giggling in my butt etc) but the scale says I'm gaining more weight!!!!!!!

Is Circut training or working out period good for me to lose weight? i'm getting super frustrated and discouraged ... any tips would be so helpful.

Thank you for listening
/rant

Old 10-11-2005, 02:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: working out not working?

Working out is very good for losing weight, but I'm willing to bet that diet is still your downfall. Even eating 'healthy' and being 'conscious' of what you're eating may not be enough to keep you on a calorie deficit (which is what is required for fat loss). I am also opposed to "diets" in favor of changed eating habits. Post, as precisely as you can, what a day's diet looks like for you. include all drinks, condiments, snacks etc. What you eat, how much, and time of day. We'll see if theres some changes you can make to get the results you want.

Just a question about your goals; are you unhappy with what you see in the mirror or just the number on the scale?

Last edited by Naxis; 10-11-2005 at 02:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2005, 02:52 PM   #3
(female)

DaPickle HB User

Thank you for your help Naxis! very much appreciated

I wake up at 7 am. My daily eating routine looks like this

9 am - special K bar or fruit bowl for breakfast
11 am - mandarine orange or banana for snack
12 pm - salad (with kidney beans, cheese & egg) salad dressing is Fat Free Italian: Other lunches I eat are turkey breast wraps (spinich wrap, lettuce, tomatoes, olives & fat free ranch dressing), once a week I'll have Sushi for lunch (Salmon rolls & or Tuna Rolls 6)
2 pm - snack yogurt
7 pm dinner - Salmon & Asparigus or Chicken (Dr Phil Recipe with lemon, onion & celery) or chicken breast & rice (I do eat white rice cause hubby hates brown rice) or BBQ'd pork ... with each dinner meal I always have two sides of veggies, weather it be peas, asparigus, sweet potatoes. The only condiments for dinner is I cook Asparigus with Fat Free Italian Dressing.
(lazy Sunday dinners will be Subway, footlong Tuna with pickles & Olives on Honey Oat bread)

I do think a problem I have is Portion sizes. I'm used to cooking for 4, now i'm cooking for two. I do serve as much on my plate as my husbands. Especially salmon, I'll eat two palm sizes of Salmon, cause I love it so much with Salmon I eat honey mustard sauce & Peacans

Water, I drink 4 X 591 ml Dasani bottle of water (refill my bottle) at my desk at work. When I get home from the gym I usually have equivilent to 1 bottle.
I drink 1 cup (small) of starbucks coffee in the morning (with sugar and cream I admit). I dont' drink pop or sodas, but maybe once or twice a week will have orange juice & V8.

this eating habbit is only 1 1/2 years old. I never watched what I ate before I got married. This "diet" has been since March /04

my work out routine used to be:
5 days a week 45 mins cardio, weights 2 times a week (only 15 minutes)

Now:
6 days / week Circut training (with cardio inbetween machines for 30 seconds) & 20 minutes cardio (total work out 50 mins)

Thanks again hope this is clear enough.

as for your question. I am very proud of my body, Not so much my stomach, but my chest, legs & butt I'm happy with. When I gain weight it's all in my face & stomach (or so it seems). I think I'm more discouraged by the scale than anything else

[edited]

Last edited by DaPickle; 10-11-2005 at 02:56 PM.

Old 10-11-2005, 05:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

You can certainly make some significant changes, and you seem to know generally what they are already. But if you are not unhappy with how you look or feel, FORGET the scale. It is not indicitave of anything useful. It *really is* just a number. Remember that you don't control where fat comes off first; genetics does. So if you want to lose weight, it may come off of other places first. Just something to consider.
-But- if you still want to lose some weight, diet changes will make the difference. Your workout looks fine, but there are a couple things that really jump out at me. First, portion size will absolutely ruin fat loss (especially fatty foods like salmon and nuts - it's good fat, but high cal). What I'd recommend you do is to keep a food journal for one week, keeping track of what you're eating all day and look up the nutritional value of everything - specifically calories. Your food choices are excellent, but getting a handle on what ideal portion sizes are will take a little "research". Your total calories for the day should be around 1600-1900 (higher in the range on days you're active/working out). Divide that fairly evenly into every meal you eat for the day.
Which brings me to the other thing that leaps out at me; you eat every 2 hours until 2pm, then have a 5 hour gap until dinner, which is your big meal for the day. Having a large dinner is actually a hinderance to weight loss. Your metabolism slows at night and unless you do something to burn it off, anything that is not used gets stored (as fat). Putting a small snack in there around 4pm and having a smaller dinner will help a lot. Otherwise, it looks really good.

Old 10-11-2005, 05:48 PM   #5
(female)

terry2006 HB User

I've noticed that you've increased your weight traning (via circuit training). You also said that you've gotten firmer but gaining more weight. Remember muscle weighs far more than fat does. You're probably putting on muscle so don't worry too much about it

I stopped working out for a few months starting from Jan. to Apr. The scale said I didn't gain a pound, but my clothes were really tight on me (yeah, wore track pants a lot). When I did start working out again, I only lost 10lbs from May - Aug. But everyone commented on how good I looked. Weight is only a number, don't focus too much on it, that will only discourage you.

Good Luck

Old 10-12-2005, 04:33 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

millpark26 HB User

I agree. Throw away your scale!

Old 10-12-2005, 04:25 PM   #7
(female)

DaPickle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naxis
You can certainly make some significant changes, and you seem to know generally what they are already. But if you are not unhappy with how you look or feel, FORGET the scale. It is not indicitave of anything useful. It *really is* just a number. Remember that you don't control where fat comes off first; genetics does. So if you want to lose weight, it may come off of other places first. Just something to consider.
-But- if you still want to lose some weight, diet changes will make the difference. Your workout looks fine, but there are a couple things that really jump out at me. First, portion size will absolutely ruin fat loss (especially fatty foods like salmon and nuts - it's good fat, but high cal). What I'd recommend you do is to keep a food journal for one week, keeping track of what you're eating all day and look up the nutritional value of everything - specifically calories. Your food choices are excellent, but getting a handle on what ideal portion sizes are will take a little "research". Your total calories for the day should be around 1600-1900 (higher in the range on days you're active/working out). Divide that fairly evenly into every meal you eat for the day.
Which brings me to the other thing that leaps out at me; you eat every 2 hours until 2pm, then have a 5 hour gap until dinner, which is your big meal for the day. Having a large dinner is actually a hinderance to weight loss. Your metabolism slows at night and unless you do something to burn it off, anything that is not used gets stored (as fat). Putting a small snack in there around 4pm and having a smaller dinner will help a lot. Otherwise, it looks really good.
Thank you for your help Naxis. .. didn't realize Salmon and nuts were high cal *shock* salmon is my staple food lol I see what you mean about waiting a while between my last snack and dinner, I try not to eat for 2 - 3 hours before I work out (at 5 pm) because I hate feeling full while trying to work out. But I guess a banana can't hurt. and I'll try to watch portion sizes!

*reading everyone elses posts now*

Thanks again Naxis!

Old 10-12-2005, 04:27 PM   #8
(female)

DaPickle HB User

Thanks everyone else for your advice and input I put a sign on my desk that says "do not weight yourself for 30 days" ... that should do it

I don't have a scale at home luckily, just at the gym, won't be too hard to avoid

Closed Thread