It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2005, 05:20 AM   #1
(male)

senoflys HB User
calf machine used for squats...is this ok?

Hi, I live in an apartment building that does not have a smith machine and the only way to do squats was by raising up the bench press bar and using that. However I think I have found an alternative but want to know if it is ok. We have a calf raise maching (the one with padding for the shoulders that you stand up under and you can stack wights on either side of it). I have been using this for doing squats now and it seems to work fairly well. I just want to make sure that this is ok and that I am not going to be hurting myself. Thanks.

Old 10-12-2005, 06:41 AM   #2
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
Re: calf machine used for squats...is this ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by senoflys
Hi, I live in an apartment building that does not have a smith machine and the only way to do squats was by raising up the bench press bar and using that. However I think I have found an alternative but want to know if it is ok. We have a calf raise maching (the one with padding for the shoulders that you stand up under and you can stack wights on either side of it). I have been using this for doing squats now and it seems to work fairly well. I just want to make sure that this is ok and that I am not going to be hurting myself. Thanks.
You could but I would watch my back that is a slightly different position than a free standing squat..Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2005, 09:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

You're probably not hurting yourself, but you're probably not getting the full benefit of a squat either. Most of those standing calf raise machines don't drop down very far, which is the most effective part of the squat. You're probably better off doing squats with just body weight, holding something heavy (or dumbbells if available) or even one legged squats if you're strong enough. Bouncing up and down a few inches just really isn't doing a lot of good. Now, if this particular machine *does* go down far enough (thighs parallel to the floor) then go for it. Just keep your back straight and watch your form.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:12 PM   #4
(male)

senoflys HB User

Sorry, guess I forgot to say that it does go down far enough...so I'll keep at it...Thanks. and ya I will watch my form, I think that I overdid it last week, I was a little sore in my lower back the next day.

Closed Thread