It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2005, 08:28 AM   #1
(female)

Kerra HB User
Phentramine Pill

Has anyone tried the Phentramine Hoodia Pill? I've tried everything to lose weight and nothing seems to really work. I've talked to three doctors and they are tell me that I'm fine.

I use to be a gym guru, working out 5 days a week, two hours a day hard cardio and then weights. I only lost about 5 lbs doing this. It's been a year since I've been back to the gym and the weight and size has stayed unchanged.

I currently am 5ft 6in and 160 pounds. (35 yrs-old) I told the Doctors I had seen that according to their charts, my BMI is 26 which is considered overweight. I'm currently in a size 8 to 10 depending on the jeans/pants. I never have had a weight problem until the past 4 years. Before I had children I weight 125 pounds after my first child I went down to 150 and stayed there till the next one. I gained a ton of weight during the second pregnacy, tipping the scales at 205. I worked at losing that weight and got down to 140 pounds without even working out. I didn't start going to the gym till about 4 years ago.

I was diagnosed a year ago with several thyroid nodules (one visible to the naked eye, it looks like a second adams apple), but the doctors say that my thyroid is not affecting my weight in any way. All my tests come back normal. I've read that sometimes you can have a problem even though they are normal. I can't seem to get any of the doctors I've seen in the past year to listen. (I've seen two general practitioners and one endocronologist.)

I watch what I eat, so I believe I'm not eating too much, but not sure if I'm not eating enough. My diet consists of slimfast for breakfast, snack (fruit or slimfast bar) Slimfast for lunch. I usually have a snack in between and then dinner consists of a meat (about 6 ounces), vegetables (about two servings) salad (spinach leaves and other leafy greens, no iceberg) and sometimes pasta, or beans. Only occasionally do I splurge and have a sweet. About once or twice a week, but I reduce something in my diet to account for the calories in it.

I was wondering if anyone had tried this pill and had any success with it. I believe if I can get my weight back down to 140, I can then maintain it. Any advice is very appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2005, 10:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Phentramine Pill

You can absolutely reach your goal, but you need to cange some things. First, skip the hoodia. It's only useful in its raw, plant form. I have never heard of the pills working (and I have tried several myself: all garbage). Save your money. Second, you need a serious overhaul on your diet. I'd suspect that you are seriously undereating, in addition to getting too little protein, too many carbs (most Slim Fast has too much sugar) and no healthy fat. Please, please ditch the Slim Fast. I know it's a quick and easy 'meal', but obviously it's not doing the trick.
Are you exercising now? If so what kind of regimen? If not, why not?

Your meal timing is very good, however, which the hardest change for most people to adopt. All you really have to do is work on food content. I'll give you a link to diet basics for things that *everyone* should know. Even small changes can make a big difference, but at this stage, I suspect you've fallen into a cycle of starvation response, which is why you're not losing any fat no matter how little you eat (and why it seems like something *has* to be wrong). Read through this:
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=297286

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask any other questions you have. There's a lot of smart people here.

Old 10-17-2005, 08:44 AM   #3
(female)

Kerra HB User

Hi Naxis,

Thanks for responding.

The slim-fast the I drink is the Optima. But I still may be getting too much sugar for me to lose the weight.

I do excercise. Though I had to quit about a week ago due to a knee injury and hoping to get back into it again within the next couple days. I was running 30 minutes a day, Monday through friday. I stepped wrong and injured my knee. (though it may also be from a past injury when I had my horse fall on top of me) I also ride every night when the weather is good.

I read the link you posted, and understand the types of food to eat. What would be a good example of a menu of foods for a day? I'm a picky eater and at times I don't feel like eating. Nothing looks good at that time. I'm always looking for ideas and recipes to try to spice it up.

I don't drink soda, coffee, but occasionally I do have a glass of milk or tea with a non-sugar sweetener. I drink only water, usually making the 8-10 glasses for the day quota.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Kerra

Last edited by Kerra; 10-17-2005 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Typo

Old 10-17-2005, 11:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

If you're picky about foods, I'm not sure that laying out a menu will do any good. But the trick is to plan your meals and stick to it whether you're in the mood or not. If you're undereating, you're doing immense damage to your health, immune system and ability to lose weight. You *can* get past it, but you're going to have to do things that are uncomfortable to you at first, like eating when nothing sounds good and eating things you may not love to eat.
Basically, a clean sort of diet (which you will have to calculate portion sizes to fit your caloric needs) will look somehting like this:
Breakfast: oats+hard boiled egg
snack: V-8+ almonds
Lunch: chicken wrap with whole wheat tortilla/veggies
snack: can of tuna w/ salsa + apple
Dinner: steamed salmon + salad
optional late night snack: Tbsp natural peanut butter

This is by no means your only option; just a sample of some of the best options I can think of off the top of my head. I don't know *how* picky you are, but there really are a lot of options, and a lot of low calorie ways to dress things up - salsa, mustard, pepper, vinegar, curry powder, ginger, garlic, Tobasco etc. Staying with low GI foods, small portions, healthy fats, and moderate protein will help a lot.
Protein shakes (just whey or any kind of protein powder with whatever you choose to add to it) make good, healthy, non filling snacks if you have the means. Very quick and convenient, and I'm sure better than SlimFast.

Last edited by Naxis; 10-17-2005 at 11:31 AM.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:59 AM   #5
(female)

Kerra HB User

Thanks Naxis,

That gives me a better idea of what choices to make. I've weaned off the slimfast yesterday (None left in the house and didn't buy anymore) and will try to add some of the things you suggested. I'll also check at the store for some protein drinks.

I weighed myself this morning at 159. How do you calculate how many calories needed by weight and excersice? I don't plan to resume running do to the knee injury. But I'm going to start back into step aerobics and weight training. (I have the step)

Kerra

Old 10-18-2005, 11:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Do a search online for a BMR calculator (NOT a BMI calculator). That's your Basal Metabolic Rate, which is how many calories a day your body burns if you were sitting in front of the TV from waking to bedtime - what your body uses just to stay alive. Stying right around, or slightly above this number will keep you in a calorie deficit for the day, since *any* activity you do will burn more calories in addition to your BMR, and any exercise will increase calories burned further.
And you might consider some kind of strength training in addition. More muscle means higher metabolism.

Closed Thread