It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2005, 11:09 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User
Why is this happening now?

When I was in my mid to late 20's I always did my cadrio on an empty stomach. I had no problems, felt fine. Now I'm 33 (not saying age is the issue) and due to my kids schedule I really only get the opportunity to do it once every fews weeks on an empty stomach. Every time I do this about 30 mins in I feel sick and faint and have to stop. The only thing I am thinking is I might do it a bit more intense now, back them I would train at a heart rate of 140 now I train at 155-165 could this be the reason I am feeling sick now? This only happens when I do it on an empty stomach. Any insight would be appreciated.

Old 10-12-2005, 12:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Why is this happening now?

It could be, but feeling faint is definitely a sign of low blood sugar. Too low. Can you eat a little something like an egg white or two before hand? A little something, ideally protein, should help alleviate this. It chould be the result of a lot of things. Sleep (or lack of), earlier dinner and thus longer timespan between last meal and waking/cardio, if you're more active throughout the day you will have less available blood sugar in the morning, age could be a factor... etc. It's really hard to nail it down since there are so many variables to consider. You just need to listen to your body when it tells you things like "feed me or I'm going to make you black out." You could also try dropping HR again to see if that makes a difference.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2005, 12:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Well, this past time sleep was an issue, the reason I did the empty stomach cardio was because I couldn't sleep that night so I went at 5:30 am to exercise. I also ate my last meal about 8pm the night before and it was just a cup of cottage cheese. I could eat something before but I think that would defeat the empty stomach cardio purpose, mine as well just do it after breakfast. I guess I'll have to play with it next time I have the chance to go.

Old 10-12-2005, 01:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

If you have maybe 50 calories worth of protein, it really doesn't defeat the purpose. It's a small raise in blood sugar (very small since it's protein and not carbohydrates), but usually just enough to keep the nausea at bay. And it's not a whole breakfast you're burning through. Anyway, just a thought. Worked for me when I had a similar problem. Good luck.

Old 10-12-2005, 04:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Great thanks!

Old 10-15-2005, 12:24 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehen94
Well, this past time sleep was an issue, the reason I did the empty stomach cardio was because I couldn't sleep that night so I went at 5:30 am to exercise. I also ate my last meal about 8pm the night before and it was just a cup of cottage cheese. I could eat something before but I think that would defeat the empty stomach cardio purpose, mine as well just do it after breakfast. I guess I'll have to play with it next time I have the chance to go.
Maybe a small snack 1 hr. before bed will help the sleep as I read that sleep is actually a brain activity and the brain needs energy to accomplish it. Not heavy eating because digestion of a heavy meal will disrupt sleep.

The blood sugar might be getting too low with your current diet, perhaps in the past you ate more complex carbs which would provide more long lasting energy way past the mealtime (aka empty tummy).

Old 10-15-2005, 06:42 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

You may be right, I used to eat a lot of complex carbs now not many, if any.

Old 10-15-2005, 11:55 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehen94
You may be right, I used to eat a lot of complex carbs now not many, if any.
Well, I've heard diets like Atkins (low carb) are actually pretty imbalanced and unhealthy anyway. It works mainly because of calorie reduction which can be accomplished anyway by good food choices and moderate portions along with exercise. Also, alot of people are complaining about depression on the diet...carbs are what converts tryptophan to serotonin which is the happy neurotransmitter. Carbs also conserve protein for proper use instead of being burned for energy.

I also know a few Atkins people who lost weight very quickly (hey, it does actually work) but they couldn't maintain it eventually giving in to carb cravings and now they look like they are gaining it back whereas my 24 lbs. lost through exercise and portion/quality control in my diet has stayed off, even if it did take a long time.

Just don't eat the calorie-rich carbs like cake, cookies, ice cream and such other than just for a occasional treat.

Closed Thread