It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2005, 04:40 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User
Looking to lean out a bit..need advice

Looking for some advice from experienced people please. I have an event to attend in 6 weeks and I'm looking to get a little leaner than I currently am. I am female, 33, 5'5 1/2", 126 1bs, don't know current body fat. My exercise routine is cardio 3 days on 1 off for 45 mins high intensity, usually heart rate 155-165. I weight train to failure under 15 reps each body part twice a week, abs mon, wed, friday try to get 1 full day off a week.

A typical eating day:

7:30 am - egg whites (4 LG)
1 bowl millet (its a whole grain cereal)

11:30 am - workout recovery meal
1 serving whey, 1 serving L-glutamin
19 carbs of fruit (strawberry or cantaloupe)

1:30 pm - salad (10 oz romaine lettuce, 1/2 cup kidney beans, 1 hard-boiled egg white, calorie free dressing, 2 oz salmon, 1 Tbsp natural peanut butter

4-5 pm snack- 1 of the following or a mix, chix breast, 1 cup cottage cheese, atkins advant bar (once in a while), 6 cups 94% fat free micro popcorn

7:30-8pm - veggie stir fry with 4 cups mixed veggies (broccoli, zuchini, pepper, onion, garlic), with either 4 oz of a fish, mahi mahi, tuna, or a poultry chix, turkey, etc, made with a light teriyaki sauce and I have 1 Tbsp natural peanut butter

I go to bed about 11, the only way this might change is if I don't work out I have 2 Tbsp of natural peanut butter with breakfast instead of staggered in the day and cut the recovery meal. Other supplements, I take a multi vitamin, calcium mag zinc, and a glycemic vibrance pill, and fish oil pill. All my drinks are no calorie drinks or water.

Anything I can do to improve my chances of leaning out based on this?

Last edited by bluehen94; 10-12-2005 at 04:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2005, 09:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Looking to lean out a bit..need advice

You eat crazy-nuts clean. Brownie points. One thing you can do is to cut carbs in the post workout meal. Granted 19g isn't really a lot to begn with, so maybe just in the last 3 weeks up to the event cut it in half. I'd also drop the popcorn and opt for something with unsaturated fat instead (or maybe coconut oil with the chicken?). You might also want to reconsider the cottage cheese - short term, of course. I always had problems getting really lean with dairy in my diet, whey excluded. You might save that last Tbsp of peanut butter until maybe 10 or so. Being fairly low cal and very low GI it won't end up stored even though it's so close to bed time. Then it spreads your calories out a little more. Most bars are an absolute hinderance to your goals, so avoid them for a while. Something with all natural ingredients is ok, but most have high sodium and 'fillers' that do nothing but hold you back. Nutiva makes excellent nut/seed bars, but they're stupid expensive.
But in general, if your program here isn't doing it for you, try just slightly smaller portions or lower calorie options for your larger meals to drop overall calories just a little. Looks really good though.
For exercise changes, try to fit in one session of HIIT a week if you can. Just a small tweak that could make a difference. And do your reps for weight training slowly, literally counting out two seconds up, three down.

One other thing to note; don't take glutamine with your post-workout shake. It competes with the glutamine in the protein and sort of defeats the purpose of taking more since you can only process so much at once. It's better to take on an empty stomach or between meals.

Hope that's helpful. And for the record, I actually take my own advice. These are things I have done with great success to get very lean - but spare muscle.

Old 10-13-2005, 05:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Thanks Naxis, a few quetions, I calculate my diet being about 1500 cals and you mention cutting more calories, is that the best thing with my current exercise program? Also if I cut the carbs in the post workout meal which is about 20, 1 from the whey protein 19 from fruit, will that be too little and thus not give the muscles enough to recuperate on? I figured the bars were not the best I only use that when I am out and can't get anything else. I also th efigured the popcorn wasn't great, I guess that was my 1 fun thing . I'll try incorporating 1 day of HIIT. Thanks for the input. I only started doing the new diet this week, I was kind of doing it before but not measuring and portioning and having some cheats here and there, pretzels, goldfish crackers, the bad stuff in between, I got away with it, meaning not gaining, but now its time to buckle down for the next few weeks.

Wasn't aware of the reaction of the protein in the whey to the glutamin, I'll change that up, thanks.

Last edited by bluehen94; 10-13-2005 at 05:39 AM.

Old 10-13-2005, 08:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

I didn't sit and calculate the calories, but 1500 is definitely a deficit, so it *should* work. I wouldn't go much lower than that, especially on workout days. If it's NOT working, drop 100 from a larger meal (but I'd be surprised if you don't see great results).
Do you have a cheat day/meal If you're going to be really strict, the first 4 weeks you should have one cheat meal a week. Last two stay clean and you'll look lean and tight for the event.
One other little tweak you can use for best results is to minimize or eliminate sodium 4 days prior. Your body will flush out any retained water and theres no chance of a bloaty look.

Old 10-13-2005, 07:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

No I don't usually ever do a cheat meal, but I guess I can start doing that too, if it would help. Thanks for the tips, I'll post back about things in a few weeks and let you know if this program is working.

Old 10-13-2005, 08:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Cheat meal doesnt have to be bad food stuff. Just higher calorie - preferably on a workout day. good luck. Hope it works well for you.

Old 10-14-2005, 02:30 AM   #7
(male)

DMN HB User

If you read this board long enough you get some of the best expressions in fitness!

"You eat crazy-nuts clean."

This one is a keeper Naxis.

--
John

Closed Thread