It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2005, 12:34 PM   #1
(female)

perkinssl HB User
Working out and feeling sick

I have been working with a trainer at my gym for about 2 weeks and the other day and today during my workout, about half way through, I start to feel nauseous and my stomach started to hurt. The workout that I am doing is high intensity with little rest between machines. I try to make sure that I eat enough before my workout because my trainer informed me that I need to eat more before the workout but I must not be eating the right thing. I cannot figure out what to eat so that I do not feel this way and so that I will last through the work out. Today I ate cereal, pretzels for snack and peanu butter sandwich for lunch and then went to workout and felt this way, I ate some bread while at the gym and I felt better but I want to know what would help me before getting to this point. Can anyone give me any advice on this?

I am 5'6" 143lbs 23yrs old and I have been starting to eat 4-5 times a day.

Breakfast: Cereal or slimfast shake with banana

Snack: Celery with natural peanut butter

Lunch: usually some kind of sandwich, ham or peanut butter or tuna and some pretzels

Snack: some kind of fruit

Dinner: chicken breast stir fry with veggies and rice

My meal plan could probably use some work but I am really concerned that I am feeling this way during my workout outs.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User
Re: Working out and feeling sick

Hi, Perkin

My trainer suggested the HIIT/HIT training, as well, but it just does not agree with me. I, too, felt very nauseous and really did not want to continue to work out anymore if that was the way I was going to feel. I know that this type of training is the new "thing", but, frankly, I just went back to regular workouts and walking. I'm doing fine, feeling great and losing plenty of weight, so I think the good ole fashioned way sometimes works, too.

I think what you're eating looks fine, especially if you've tried different food groups before you work out and still feel rotten.

If it continues, I'd definitely talk to your trainer and try just the old way of working out, see if you're still nauseous.

Lysne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2005, 01:52 PM   #3
(female)

cat3883 HB User

I used to have this problem. I learned that if I eat egg whites before my workout I don't get sick . I am certainly no expert but it seems that you may be eating too much. Also I eat the egg whites about 30 - 45 minutes before my workout and drink ALOT of water during to keep me hydrated. Immediately after, I have a protein shake.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:55 PM   #4
(female)

perkinssl HB User

I have only felt like this twice and we have had 5 sessions so I think I am going to try to narrow it down to what I am eating. Hopefully this will work, if not, I only have like 6 more sessions so I will see how it goes.

I believe that I am eating within my calorie range which is about 1400-1800(1400 days I do not workout and 1800 days I work out) I may not be getting 1400 in some days.

I like the workouts and I am seeing results so I would hate to have to stop them!

Old 10-15-2005, 12:18 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by perkinssl
I have been working with a trainer at my gym for about 2 weeks and the other day and today during my workout, about half way through, I start to feel nauseous and my stomach started to hurt. The workout that I am doing is high intensity with little rest between machines. I try to make sure that I eat enough before my workout because my trainer informed me that I need to eat more before the workout but I must not be eating the right thing. I cannot figure out what to eat so that I do not feel this way and so that I will last through the work out. Today I ate cereal, pretzels for snack and peanu butter sandwich for lunch and then went to workout and felt this way, I ate some bread while at the gym and I felt better but I want to know what would help me before getting to this point. Can anyone give me any advice on this?

I am 5'6" 143lbs 23yrs old and I have been starting to eat 4-5 times a day.

Breakfast: Cereal or slimfast shake with banana

Snack: Celery with natural peanut butter

Lunch: usually some kind of sandwich, ham or peanut butter or tuna and some pretzels

Snack: some kind of fruit

Dinner: chicken breast stir fry with veggies and rice

My meal plan could probably use some work but I am really concerned that I am feeling this way during my workout outs.
I don't know but maybe you aren't giving your stomach time to digest what you eat before the workout? Working out with food in the stomach might upset it, especially if you are also doing things like situps or angling the lower body higher than the upper body(basically gravity forcing food that wants to continue downward go upward instead).

It's a guess but maybe something like that?

Old 10-15-2005, 12:51 AM   #6
(female)

Changingwoman HB User

If the workout is that intense, you may be losing electrolytes pretty quickly during the exercise sessions. Try an electrolyte drink or eat more before your workout. Increase fluids. If it continues, listen to your body and slow down. See a doctor and make sure you don't have some hidden problem you aren't aware of.

Old 10-16-2005, 10:04 AM   #7
(female)

perkinssl HB User

I have 3 sessions this week so I am going to try eating different things before my workout, My workouts are also in the middle of the day this week so hopefully I will have more time for my food to digest. I will try some oatmeal with fruit in it and then a protein shake or something. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Closed Thread