It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2005, 05:33 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User
Question about cardio and weights

I have been eating clean, very clean I might add, exercising and lifting weights for about three years now with great results and I love it but the question I have is should I lower my cardio? I do 45 min treadmill at 4.5, five days a week and I do a three day split with my weights. I have a coulpe of areas that are being a bit difficult like the inner and outer thigh. I have read that three cardio session a week and three days of lifting is plenty. I don't want to lose any weight or gain any either and my bf is about 14%.Will this help a bit. Any opinions would be appreciated

Old 10-14-2005, 06:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Question about cardio and weights

I'm still not clear on your goal. Do you want to lose weight or just maintain? Are you male of female? And 4 days of cardio is not too much, unless it's preventing you from having a full day of rest somewhere in the week, which is important for muscle recovery. Otherwise, that's perfect for maintenance and general health, so I wouldn't reduce the cardio regardless of what the goal is. If your 4 days of cardio is interspersed with 3 days of weights, then I *would* drop one day of cardio to keep the 3 days of weights. If you're not comfortable with a total rest day, do an "active rest" day. Go outside, take a hike, play a sport, etc. You don't have to go all out, but you don't have to bum around on the couch either.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2005, 12:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User

I don't want to lose weight I weight 115 pounds which is great for my height 5'5 I am female. I do cardio 5 days a week mon, tue, wed, fri, sat and lift weights on mon , wed, fri at seperate times of the day. I just want to get rid of my trouble spots. I have read a few posts from other health and fitness boards and they seem to say 5 days of cardio is counter productive and I will lose any muscle mass I have already and the fat that I have on the top of my legs just won't move because of too much cardio. I am confused by all of this. I thought cardio was one of the best things for you.

Old 10-14-2005, 02:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

What you haven't quite addressed is diet. All the cardio in the world won't help if your diet is off. What is your calorie intake? "Clean" may not be the problem. You do run the risk of burning muscle with too much cardio, but I wouldn't say 4 days a week is too much. I do 6 days a week and recommend 3-5 to all my clients. As long as you're not in too much of a calorie deficit, are getting enough protein, and not doing sessions of cardio longer than 1 hour, you're pretty safe.
But the question remains; what's your diet look like right now?
And for the record, 14% bodyfat for a woman is very low. You might want to look more toward muscle gain to bump up the metabolism and gain some firmness, and be *really critical* about how realistic your goals are. If you get much leaner, it could compromise your health and will probably not be a sustainable weight/body fat level. Just something to consider.

Last edited by Naxis; 10-14-2005 at 02:33 PM.

Old 10-14-2005, 02:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User

on average I eat

half cup oats
4 egg whites
1 tblsp natural peanut butter
apple

piece fruit
ounce of cheese

large salad oil and vinager
chicken or tuna 4oz
half cup chick peas

half cup yogurt
2 tblsp nust

4oz chicken or fish
salad oil and vinager
sweet potato

apple
yogurt

I couldn't eat any more than this if I tried
my bf at 14% it has been like that for as long as I can remember, I was a ballet teacher for years also the females in my family are very small but very lean people. I agree with you completely that 5 or 6 days a week cardio is very healthy. Mabie I need to just adjust my outlook on myself and accept that I will never have thighs that don't jiggle. Do you think it is better to do weights before cardio or after and lower weight/higher reps or higher weight/lower reps which is better?

Old 10-14-2005, 04:54 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

You're right. That is very, very clean. And calories are probably right on the mark for your height and weight. One thing you might try is to substitute veggies or protein for the dairy. I always had a hard time losing the last bits of fat with dairy in the diet. It's not a guarantee, but it's a possibility.
As for weight training, do weights before cardio. Your body can only use glycogen for anaerobic activity (weights), but it can use oxygen and fat for aerobic activity (cardio). If you want to build some muscle or strength, lower reps, higher weight. "Tone" comes from lower weight, higher rep, but too low weight and too high rep ends up being an aerobic workout and doesn't really do any good for strength/muscle, so just make sure you're going heavy enough to stress the muscles.

Old 10-14-2005, 06:08 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User

You have excellent advice. I was thinking about changing things around a bit, I feel like I am getting a bit to big for my frame I am very small boned. I lift 12 to 15 pound dumbbells(not a lot of weight but it gives me a good workout and I am still sore the next day) 10 reps x 2 or 3 depending on the exercise I am doing. My upper body seems to build very quickly so after about three months I feel a bit stiff and bulky for what I am use to. I was going to try the lower weight/ higher rep for a while to see how that worked, do you think dropping down to 8 pound dumbbells would work and how many reps should I do. Your advice is appreciated. I just want to be toned,long and lean.

Old 10-14-2005, 06:53 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

What exercises are you doing specifically? 12-15 pounds should not be making you bulky at all if we're talking things like presses and rows. If you're doing curls, that's a different ball of wax.

Old 10-14-2005, 07:31 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User

yes I do my curls with 12 or 15 pounds, and triceps kickbacks, squats and single leg lunges, calf raises, chest flys, inclined bench press. I do use a barbell with 7 pounds on each side and I think it is a 15 pound bar for chest press military press, back and bicep curls. Is this too much? Do you have any advice on what I could change or a routein you would recommend for me, seeing as I am not getting the results I would like and I think it is time to change this up anyway. I do back and biceps on mom,legs and abs on wed, chest and triceps on fri.

Old 10-14-2005, 08:18 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Ok. First, I'd drop the split you have. That's more conducive for mass gain, and that's not what you want. Try doing upper body alone once a week (presses/rows/shoulders), lower body alone once a week and one session including them both (presses, rows, squats). Stop working the biceps and triceps with isolation exercises (curls, kickbacks) and focus on big, compound movements. You'll spend less time each session working on each muscle group, but working them more throughout the week. This will keep up functional strength and muscle tone without encouraging more muscle mass, since rows and presses also hit biceps and triceps respectively. If you really want to, do arm exercises maybe every couple of weeks and 8 lbs are fine for these. Keep the heavier weight for presses and rows, however. That's still fairly low on the weight scale and sticking to 10-15 rep range is just right.

Old 10-15-2005, 04:07 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User

Naxis this is great advice, for the past couple of years I have been doing this same split,seeing as I don't know a whole lot about weight lifting I asked people at my gym and so I finally came up with that three day split but ther are huge with tons of muscle and that is not the look I an going for looks great on some people but not on me. I am going to try to change thing around.

Should I do something like chest press, military press, rows should I do inclined press as well I was going to do that on a Monday.

chest press, military press, inclined press rows and squats on Wed

Then
Squats, lunges and calf raises are there any other exercises I should do on this leg day?

Should I use my dumbbells or my barbells, I have 10 12 and 15 pound dumbbells and I have a bar and different size weights I think the bar is 15 pounds, what weight should I start at (aprox) and should the reps be between 15 and 20 and how many sets should I try.

Thanks so much naxis

Old 10-15-2005, 08:30 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

That schedule looks fine. One thing to keep in mind is that you want to work big miscles before you work small muscles, so always finish chest and back work before moving on to the shoulders (or arms). And make sure you have an even balance of chest and back exercises. The specific exercises you use for each aren't nearly as important as just keeping some variation, so find a few different exercises for each muscle group you like and change it up every couple of weeks. Use both dumbells and barbells, whatever you feel like doing for the day. Keep weight at where you're at, or slightly lighter so you can do more reps. Your workout should still be tough, but remember that if it ever gets too easy, it's not really *working* you.

If you're looking for other leg exercises, try side lunges, step-ups (just step up onto a bench or stepper with some weight), and you always have an array of machines and cables (if you go to a standard gym).

Good luck!

Old 10-16-2005, 06:16 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User

Thanks Naxis I am going to give this a try, do you think it is better to do a full body workout concentrating on the larger muscle groups3x a week or do upper body one day and lower body another then combo of both another day?

Old 10-16-2005, 12:37 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

For your goals, you could absolutely do a full body session 3x a week, so long as you have at least 24 hours between workouts. One exercise per muscle group each time should be sufficient to maintain for you.

Old 10-16-2005, 02:33 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User

Naxis is there any benefit in doing specfic excersise that focous on inner and outer thigh area like abductor machine or weighted leg lifts. I like to workout at home and was thinking of adding the weighted leg lifts to my workout. I am just not sure if I need to seeing as squats and lunges really hit those areas quite well, what's your opinion on this. Also how often do you recommend working on abs,

Closed Thread