It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2005, 03:43 PM   #1
(male)

schism HB User
Avoid gaining fat?

I really need to bulk up. I don't want to be a muscle man, I just want to be stout. Right now I'm 5'7" and 123lbs (I'm a guy). People say I'm "too freaking skinny."

So I want to gain muscle, but I don't want to gain any fat. I know that to gain muscle I've gotta do weight training and EAT (lots of protein) but when I do all this eating, I'm afriad I'll gain fat rather than muscle. How do I ensure what I gain is lean mass?

Thank you.

Old 10-15-2005, 04:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Avoid gaining fat?

Start with 500 calories above your maintenance needs in addition to heavy, consistent lifting. That should be enough to facilitate muscle gain without excessive fat gain. You may gain *some* fat while putting on muscle, but if you see too much fat accumulating, then just drop calories a bit. And make sure you get at least 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight every day.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2005, 04:34 PM   #3
(male)

schism HB User

Thanks Naxis.

Should I see some encouraging results in 1 month?

Last edited by schism; 10-15-2005 at 05:29 PM.

Old 10-15-2005, 06:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

6-8 weeks to *see* results. If you're not gaining anything at all in a month (weight), though, then you need more calories. Add accordingly.

Old 10-15-2005, 08:40 PM   #5
(male)

schism HB User

Thanks a lot Naxis.

Do you have any trusty weight lifting exercise plans to follow (days to exercise, type of exercise, number of times and reps for each exercise)? Again, I'm just looking to put on some lean mass to fill out a bit more and not look boney... I don't want to be a muscle man. Thanks again!

Old 10-15-2005, 10:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

You're not accidentally going to become Arnold. It's like accidentally becoming an Olympian. It takes a lot of work, so don't even worry about it. There is no magic formula, but here's the basics to follow to gaim muscle:
-lift 3x a week
-hit every muscle group at least once a week.
-allow at least 24 hours recovery time between sessions working the same muscle group
-lift with a weight that you can do 8-10 reps with good form. The last rep should be a struggle, but not impossible. Go for 3 sets per exercise.
-Have a protein/carb shake or snack right after your workout.

Old 10-15-2005, 11:08 PM   #7
(male)

schism HB User

Alright, I run and I still wanna include that into my exercise program so how about this?:

sun - upper (chest, back, triceps, shoulders, biceps)
mon - lower (quads, hamstrings, calves, abs)
tue - run (just cardio on these days)
wed - upper
thu - lower
fri - run
sat - rest day

Any modifications? I will try to follow my plan strictly so it needs to be good from the start!

Thank you.

Old 10-16-2005, 12:26 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Looks good to me, just make sure you work biceps and triceps last on upper body days, and as you start to see gome growth, you may want to change up your split even further, but you can worry about that when you get to it. Just make sure you eat or have some kind of carbohydrate before and after cardio so you don't burn through muscle.

Old 10-17-2005, 09:16 AM   #9
(male)

schism HB User

If I were to do as many pushups as I can 3 times (each a couple minutes apart), every other night before bed, could I actually gain visible muscle in my arms/chest? Just curious how effective just using your own body weight is.

I started doing weight training and I'm sorry to say, but I just don't like it. I'm sure part of the reason for hating it is because I suck so bad at it, but I just find it so boring. I really need to get a bigger upper body though! It can be slow and gradual just so long as it does get bigger and make me not look so thin. I heard it might be better to do just pushups and the like for a while since I'm new to the resistance training. If that sounds like a good idea and I can actually gain visible muscle from it, what kind of stuff should I do and how often? Also, do I still need to choke down all the protein?

Thanks again, Naxis.

Last edited by schism; 10-17-2005 at 09:27 AM.

Old 10-17-2005, 11:41 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Pushups are good, but works only your chest and triceps. You'll have to add pullups or rows, dips, squats etc. Do a little research on "plyometrics" also - exercises using only your bodyweight. You can gain muscle on it, but the obvious limitation is your weight. You can see how far that takes you and if you plateau befaore you have all the muscle you'd like to have, you can consider going back to lifting.
If you want to grow muscle, you absolutely have to "choke down" all that protein. Protein is what muscle is made of. If you don't provide the building material, you won't get the muscle. It's really not that much. 1 can of tuna has 37g of lean protein. 50 cents, 150 calories. Can't beat that.

Closed Thread