It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2005, 11:53 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User
Anyone doing yoga

I have quite a few friends who pratice yoga on a daily basis and are in great shape, does anyone else do this? from what I understand it lenghtens the muscle making it appear to be thin and trim. I have done various types of stretching and yoga as well, I do enjoy it but it just seems I can never fit it in after all the other exercise I do. Most of my friends prefer yoga over weights and opinions on this>

Old 10-16-2005, 03:50 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

firewtr38 HB User
Re: Anyone doing yoga

Wow I can totally relate to what you are saying. I also wanted to start yoga because it can be really helpful in building strength and flexibility, as well as, relax the mind. But I find it really hard to fit it in with the running and weights I do, on top of the rest of my life. Unfortunately, I haven't come up with any great solutions. Someone here had mentioned to me a while back that they use yoga as their form of stretching before a run. I don't know what kind of exercise you do but that's a thought.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2005, 04:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User

That does sound great I could work in a 20 min yoga session before I workout. Have you done this? If so how do you like the yoga?

Old 10-17-2005, 03:55 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

firewtr38 HB User

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to work it in. I need to make sure that I stretch properly before my run and I don't feel like I have enough of a handle on the yoga positions. So I'm having difficulty working in some time to learn the positions. Ya know?

Old 10-17-2005, 04:37 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User

I know just what you mean. I have picked up a few books and also am going to go to a couple of classea to get the hang of it. My friends just swear by this for over all health. They never gain weight and looked fairly tones. So I guess it's worht adding to my workout somehow. They don't do anything else other than yoga, I lift weights and do cardio I am looking forward to seeing the results I get!

Old 10-17-2005, 08:19 AM   #6
(female)

Gainup HB User

I've mentioned this a few times in other yoga posts, sorry if I'm just repeating myself. I've been doing bikram yoga for a year. I haven't been to the gym that whole time, I do the yoga almost everyday. It is time consuming, 90 minute class, but my body has never looked so good. It totally changed my whole physique. I am going to start doing some cardio though because I just miss it!! I have also been able to maintain my weight without trying too hard, but I do watch what I eat.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User

Is that the kind of yoga that you do in a heated room, and it it done quickly or do you hold the stretchs. Also do you use a video or go to class? Sounds interesting to me.

Old 10-20-2005, 08:14 AM   #8
(female)

Gainup HB User

Hi,

That is the heated yoga, about 105 degrees. The class is 90 minutes and the poses are held for as much as one minute and as low as 10 seconds. I don't do any videos, I've tried that. It's actually easier for me to get to the studio than it is to put a DVD in. You can find your local Bikram studio by searching the web. It wouldn't hurt to try it once.

Closed Thread