HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Exercise & Fitness (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/exercise-fitness/)
-   -   Swimming Goggle Blues (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/exercise-fitness/333122-swimming-goggle-blues.html)

Valhalla 10-16-2005 09:08 PM

Swimming Goggle Blues

I love that I've added swimming exercises to my workout routine. But, no matter what goggles I use, I just can't seem to get them to fit me right. :dizzy: I feel that I'm being too distracted by my goggles to give the swim my full attention.

I've tried adjusting the bands between the lenses, as well as the bands that go around the head. I get my goggles to fit nice & snug - before I get my head underwater. Underwater, my goggles soon fog up &/or water is leaking in. I usually end up wondering if I should have just swam with my eyes closed. :(

I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one with swimming goggle blues. Any tricks-of-the-trade to know? :D

Ankh 10-16-2005 10:00 PM

Re: Swimming Goggle Blues

wow,funny u bring that up!i have the same problem,but mine is that when i have to dive in to start a length,as i dive in,the water enters my goggles...it is very annoying,cos then i have to stop and first get all the water out before i can go on.
i'd also like to know if there are any "tricks of the trade" :)

knotme 10-17-2005 01:22 AM

try diving masks? It's bigger and more comfortable than swimming goggles. Plus the larger lenses won't be as distracting. You can get anti-fog paste(or use spit, but needs repeated applications).

Find a quality mask with purge valve, silicon/neoprene straps(like Ocean Masters). You can blow out(purge) the water that gets in by blowing(thru ur nose) into the mask. Also to get a tight fit on your face, with the mask on, breath thru ur nose and create a suction, then tighten or readjust the straps. I often readjust the straps once I'm under water.

another advantage of a diving mask is some of them can be used with perscription lenses, if you have the need.

Sugarhi16 10-17-2005 06:07 PM

I use to swim on a team many years ago so I'm well aquainted with the trials and tribulations of goggles! I hate to tell you this, but most likely no matter what you do, they will probably always fog up. Even the anti-fog ones, and it doesn't matter which brand, because all of the ones I use have fogged. I use to stop and wipe them clean when they bothered me.

The band between the lenses is the trick that got them to stop leaking for me. Clicking it two notches on one side and one on the other is what I did. I don't know why it being uneven worked, but they never leaked, unless they fell off my face when I dove in! I hope that helps you. Goodluck!

jaalfer 10-17-2005 07:44 PM

one word, saliva
just spit onto your gogles, wipe them around lenses, dump out excess spit, put on, Presto, no fog.

Valhalla 10-17-2005 08:58 PM

Thank you, everyone! I'll try the "spit technique" for anti-fogging.

And a special "thank you" to Sugarhi16 for assuring me that these woes happen even to those in a swim team. I was getting a little sad if maybe I was the only one.

Sugarhi16 10-18-2005 12:42 PM

No problem Valhalla! I hope all of our advice helps you out! Goodluck! :)