It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2005, 10:50 PM   #1
(female)

skittles411 HB User
Am I doing something wrong?

I'm trying to lose weight and get in shape, and I've been rather successful so far, almost 30lbs, although I was down to 35 at one point, and then back up to 25 and now almost at 30... this is over the course of the past 10 or so months. Asside from eating better I try to exercise about 3 times a week.

Well lately when I exercise I've just been feeling sore all over. It was especially bad a few weeks ago, so much that I stopped going to the gym for almost 2 weeks.

My usually hour to hour and a half at the gym goes like this:

ArcTrainer for the first 30 minutes, since I find it to be the toughest workout.
Sometimes I do Ellipticals for the 2nd 30 minutes and then hit the track for a couple laps to cool down.
Sometimes I do Ellipticals for 15-20 and then jog the track, then cool down
And sometimes I just do the 2nd 30 mins of track.

I've also started lifing 5lb freeweights recently. Usually I will go to the gym MWF and do cardio and then do some freeweights at home on other days of the week.

Sometimes I work the night shift at my job, so Wedneday about two weeks ago, I got off work and headed to the gym. I did a 1/2 hour of the ArcTrainer, 20 mins of the Elliptical, and a mile on the track, which turned out to be about another 20 minutes. By this time it was pouring outside so I decided to go and do some free weights for maybe 10 minutes. Then the rain let up so I went and changed and went home and went to sleep.

Not only was I completely and utterly sore when I woke up, but I got these shooting pains and this discomfort in my feet and in my hands. It didn't really hurt so much as it was uncomfortable. It's hard to describe, but sometimes I get the same pain in my feet if all of the sudden I decide to take off running somewhere (from anywhere in general, not while working out at the gym). Once I slow down, I feel the same discomfort. However now I would just be standing around and I would get it in both my feet and my hands, and shooting down my legs too. This lasted for about a week - I didn't go to the gym at all during this time.

I have a pair of nike running shoes and a pair of nike crosstrainers that I wear to the gym. I do notice that when I'm doing the machines that I tend to put a little bit more pressure on the outsides of my feet than the insides. Also sometimes on the machines, after doing them for a while, one or two of my toes will start to tingle and go a little numb, usually the 2nd and/or 3rd one. My entire foot will not tingle, only those toes. The same thing sometimes happens when my hand falls asleep - one or two fingers will fall asleep and the rest will be normal.

I usually stretch after I'm finished on the track.

Sometimes when I push myself to much on the track with jogging, I get out of breath, but that may be due to my asthma, not sure. I feel as if I should be able to jog longer than I actually can.

A lot of times my calves and thighs are sore the next day, sometimes they are not. I"ve also noticed that my side back has been hurting me lately too. At first I thought it was gastro-intestinal, because I've had those problems before, but when I went to the gi, and she felt around, the place where it hurt corresponded to the side of my lower back muscle, and not my intestines or anything else in that area.

Am I doing something wrong when I am exercising? If so, what should I do to fix it? I want to be able to exercise for at least an hour 3 times a week without coming home and feeling sore. As I said I've been going to the gym since around January, and while my calves would get sore occasionally before, I don't think I had soreness elsewhere.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread