It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2005, 11:29 PM   #1
(female)

Chandni HB User
Cardio or weight

Hi

I am going back to my workout after 6 months of doing nothing (moved to another city)
I was wondering, I just want to loose weight, should I do cardio first or weight.
I used to do treadmill about 30min, stepper 30min and crosstrainer. And every second day weights. Is that ok? Or should I do both on same day and which one first- I dont want to gain or make muscels. thanx

Old 10-18-2005, 06:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User
Re: Cardio or weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandni
Hi

I am going back to my workout after 6 months of doing nothing (moved to another city)
I was wondering, I just want to loose weight, should I do cardio first or weight.
I used to do treadmill about 30min, stepper 30min and crosstrainer. And every second day weights. Is that ok? Or should I do both on same day and which one first- I dont want to gain or make muscels. thanx
You should want to gain or make muscle.
When you lose weight ( with diet and cardio) you also lose muscle mass. It's almost unavoidable and that's bad.
When you lose muscle tissue you also decrease your metabolism which, in turn, means that you will need to eat even less in order to lose or even maintain your weight. Then, if you do eat less, your metabolism slows down even more because of something called "starvation response", meaning that your body thinks it's starving due to a much decreased caloric intake, and it will protect itself by holding onto all the fat it can as a means of avoiding starvation. You don't want it to hold onto the fat, do you?
So, the answer is to lower your calorie intake to a bit below maintainance level (about 500 below), do cardio to increase caloric expenditure, AND do weight bearing exercises in order to maintain (if not actually increase) muscle mass.
As far as which you should do first, that seems to be a matter for debate. I think that if your primary objective is to lose fat then you should do cardio first then weights. Do cardio 5-6 days a week, 30-45 minutes. Make sure it's intense enough to raise your hear rate to about 80% of max for your age.

Last edited by rita; 10-18-2005 at 06:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2005, 05:48 AM   #3
(male)

tomh HB User

Warm up for 5-10 minutes. Then do your weights. Then do a complete cardio. Low impact cardio (swimming, walking, eliptical) and be done every day. Weights 2x-3x per week if you can fit it in.

Old 10-21-2005, 05:24 PM   #4
(male)

rohr4u HB User

I can share some thoughts from years of working out. I would recommend a five minute cardio warmup and then a 30 minute free weight session, then finish with 30 minutes of cardio. Most of my friends and I find that the last cardio is more useful if you do what we call sprinting. That is, get your heart beat up to the heavy breathing point, then drop back and walk slow to get your heartbeat down, then take it up again. Repeat that several times. And, remember to move to different cardio machines after a month because over time your body adjusts and you want to constantly challenge it. Three workouts a week are enough--you need to rest in between. And, if you exercise too much to loose weight you may actually loose muscle and that is not good. If you are going to work out and do cardio remember you need nutrition. When and what you eat are just as important as your work outs. You need one gram of protein each day for each pound of your weight.

A good trainer who knows about nutrition can be helpful until you learn to do it on your own. Hope this is helpful. Good luck and have fun.

PS: I forgot-you said you want to loose weight and you probably wonder why I suggested free weights. If you work on improving your muscles your body will more efficiently burn calories, provide better support for your frame as you age and most people look better if they are toned. If you don't like free weights, try pilates.

Last edited by rohr4u; 10-21-2005 at 05:29 PM. Reason: PS:

Old 10-23-2005, 09:24 AM   #5
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Anything more than 5 min of cardio to warm up will deplete your glycogen therefore leaving non for your muscle. Always always weights before cardio unless you are doing cardio several hours before and then replenish with the right foods and go back and do weights later..Lisa

Closed Thread