It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2005, 10:17 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User
Tricep dips causes freaky shocks in my triceps? help plz im scared

It's like you know, like those electrical shocks you get when you touch a person. Only without the electricity. But it's like ahhh for half a second then you automatically let go and the pain is gone. And like, I get them every frigging time I do tricep dips (they're new in our BodyPump routine). Anyways none of my instructors know what it is so I thought I'd ask on here. It's really scary should I give my triceps a rest for a week before I start doing Tricep extensions and presses again? Cos those I had never had trouble with and it's not like it hurts. Do my triceps need rest? Because they don't feel damage but how can they not be after such a big shock and I have bodypump about twice a week and for the last 4 times I tried doing it each class I end up getting a shock after about 20 seconds so I decided not to do them again but should I give my triceps a rest from the other exercises as well? Are they damaged? This is sooooooooooo freaky I've never had any feeling like this and I've been doing weight training for like 2 years now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-18-2005, 10:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User
Re: Tricep dips causes freaky shocks in my triceps? help plz im scared

OH MY GOD DO I HAVE Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?????????????????????????/ PLEASE TELL ME I DONT I MEAN THE SHOCK IS IN MY TRICEPS NOT MY HANDS...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa h I am sooooooooo totally freaked out right now

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2005, 10:55 AM   #3
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

It could be your ulna nerve.

Old 10-18-2005, 11:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Relax. You're probably just pinching a nerve. Skip triceps for a while. It's not a major muscle that needs working all the time anyway. Get back to it in a couple weeks and see if it has subsided. Also, know that dips can be hard on the shoulders and the nerves therein. If it's just dips causing problems, just don't do them.

Old 10-18-2005, 11:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

Thanks. Yeah I'm gonna take 1 week off triceps I think and the next week I'm going to use really light weights.

Old 10-18-2005, 11:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

whats a ulna nerve? is that bad?

Old 10-18-2005, 11:59 AM   #7
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothagirl
whats a ulna nerve? is that bad?

Medical Term for funny bone. It radiates like a shock when harmed. I think what Naxis said is right stay off the dips for awhile. Frankly I think they can be stressful on the joints. I like tricep kickbacks, tricep extensions and push ups for my triceps and seated one-arm dumbbell extensions. I have pretty tight arms so for me they really work good...Lisa

Last edited by Moxie75; 10-18-2005 at 12:03 PM.

Old 10-18-2005, 12:29 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

Thanks. Yeah I just am kinda bummed that I can't work on them for like 2 weeks because I have these chicken breast arms lol... is what we call them, like not tight. But okay, I'd rather have them rest than ripping a muscle or hurting something and not being able to work on them for years, so... I'm just glad it's nothing serious.

Honestly, how do you do those tricep push-ups? I can only do like 8 lol... I can do more of the wide type though.

Last edited by justanothagirl; 10-18-2005 at 12:40 PM.

Old 10-18-2005, 12:46 PM   #9
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Well I started out doing them leaning against the wall first then as I got stonger I went to the push ups on my knees and then to these push up bars which are great...Lisa

Old 10-18-2005, 01:13 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

leaning against the wall... good idea you mean you drop to the wall and push yourself away from it?

Old 10-18-2005, 01:22 PM   #11
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

face the wall and lean into it like doing push ups on the wall and do them to failure. They are a killer excercise I learned in kickboxing class.

Old 10-18-2005, 02:38 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

justanothagirl HB User

thanks, what do you mean do them to failure?

Old 10-19-2005, 06:09 AM   #13
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
thanks, what do you mean do them to failure?
Do your reps to failure meaning until you cannot do anymore..

Old 10-23-2005, 01:14 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
It's like you know, like those electrical shocks you get when you touch a person. Only without the electricity. But it's like ahhh for half a second then you automatically let go and the pain is gone. And like, I get them every frigging time I do tricep dips (they're new in our BodyPump routine). Anyways none of my instructors know what it is so I thought I'd ask on here. It's really scary should I give my triceps a rest for a week before I start doing Tricep extensions and presses again? Cos those I had never had trouble with and it's not like it hurts. Do my triceps need rest? Because they don't feel damage but how can they not be after such a big shock and I have bodypump about twice a week and for the last 4 times I tried doing it each class I end up getting a shock after about 20 seconds so I decided not to do them again but should I give my triceps a rest from the other exercises as well? Are they damaged? This is sooooooooooo freaky I've never had any feeling like this and I've been doing weight training for like 2 years now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I do dips. I've learned they must be done exactly right or else. For example, your grip must not be too wide or you can put too much stress on ligaments and joints which could cause alot of pain (not the good sore muscle type pain but real pain). The shoulder joint, elbow joint and wrist joint should end up ailigned at the top movement. Also, no dipping too low (hyperextension); usually having the shoulder at or only very slightly below the elbow at the downward end of the movement is enough to work the muscles. Also, not too much leaning forward, only slightly. And of course, no jerking/swinging.

One guy at the gym told me us women have smaller circumference and density in our wrists so we should be cautious with dips and remember to decompress the wrist before each set by slight pulling of the hand.

Anyway, so far by following these rules I have not had any problems (except one time I didn't pay attention to the no wide grip rule and was in some ligament pain for awhile....never again!)

So take a break and you could try again later, or the other version of dips might be ok too; I find them effective as well.

Closed Thread