It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2005, 09:34 PM   #1
(male)

schism HB User
Stomach fat (no, this is not a spot-reduce question)

I've been running for the past couple months now and I was never overweight or had much fat, but I did have enough around my stomach/sides that made me feel as if I should keep me shirt on :P I've _definitely_ noticed less fat on my stomach/sides (you can see my abs when I flex, but not when I'm relaxed), but I still just look kinda funny when I'm relaxed (flexed I look about right.) I think it's just I need to lose a bit more fat or it could be I need to gain more ab/chest/shoulder muscles to make it look right...

Now my question is... because I've been losing fat in this area, doesn't that mean I will keep losing there if I still have some to give? All these posts about ppl not being able to lose their stomach fat has gotten me worried. ;p I once had a totally normal looking midsection too, so if I had it once... why couldn't I again? That's probably the case for everyone though.

Last edited by schism; 10-18-2005 at 09:35 PM.

Old 11-03-2005, 10:46 AM   #2
(female)

MzK HB User
Re: Stomach fat (no, this is not a spot-reduce question)

Sorry, but I don't really understand your post. Are you saying that you're only losing fat from your stomach area? If so that's probably nothing to get worried about. Your body is probably developing less insulin resistance as you get in better shape from all that running.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2005, 01:21 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User

schism,

I know exactly how you feel cause I'm in the same boat. I'm not really overweight and with clothes on, I look like I have a flat stomach. But I do have a bit of abdominal fat on the sides and the lower abs. When I stand up straight and flex, I can see my abs. When I relax, I see the pooch. And I've learned two things that I think apply to you as well. First, you still have some fat to get rid of. The less body fat you have, the harder it becomes to get rid of it because it becomes more valuable to the body. Second, the pooch is not only the product of excess fat, but also of weak lower abs. Most people aren't very good at doing ab exercises, particularly the ones that hit the lower abs. So I would say continue doing what you're doing to burn off the fat and also make sure your lower ab exercises are really hitting those abs. You just have to be patient. I know it's frustrating. We all have trouble losing those last 5-10 pounds, mainly cause the body just doesn't want to give em up.

Old 11-03-2005, 02:58 PM   #4
(male)

Redeemed Life HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by schism
I've been running for the past couple months now and I was never overweight or had much fat, but I did have enough around my stomach/sides that made me feel as if I should keep me shirt on :P I've _definitely_ noticed less fat on my stomach/sides (you can see my abs when I flex, but not when I'm relaxed), but I still just look kinda funny when I'm relaxed (flexed I look about right.) I think it's just I need to lose a bit more fat or it could be I need to gain more ab/chest/shoulder muscles to make it look right...

Now my question is... because I've been losing fat in this area, doesn't that mean I will keep losing there if I still have some to give? All these posts about ppl not being able to lose their stomach fat has gotten me worried. ;p I once had a totally normal looking midsection too, so if I had it once... why couldn't I again? That's probably the case for everyone though.
Have you thought about doing some weightlifting?

One thing that really helped alot of my clients that struggled with that last little bit of bellyfat, was to take up some lifting. As you volumize your muscles, your body will begin to demand a high caloric intake to sustain you, and thus will burn more calories at rest.

This will help, but I'll warn you it's slow-going.

Old 11-04-2005, 11:39 AM   #5
(male)

senoflys HB User

Hey schism, I'm in the same boat too sort of...I don't have too much belly fat left but I still have the pooch too when I dont' flex. To add to what donut said, I read about muscle memory and I think part of it may be that you (me as well) have to try to flex all the time. the more that you flex, even when just sitting down, then your muscles will become accustomed to that. So combine that with some good lower ab exercises and hopefully that should help. I'm going to start this myself, so if I will try to post back in a few weeks and write if it is working or not.

Closed Thread