It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2005, 09:40 PM   #1

never2L8 HB User
Best way to improve jogging stamina.

I want to increase the length of time I can jog for without having to slow down to catch my breath. When I do my treadmill cardio, should I:

1. Keep jogging at a steady pace and just keep extending the time each session.
2. Do interval training - gradually increasing the upper intensity and/or duration of the workout at each session.
3. Or a combination of the both.

Old 10-19-2005, 03:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jonistyle2 HB User
Re: Best way to improve jogging stamina.

i'm no expert, but i'm a big fan of not pushing myself (i'm a runner), so personally i prefer gradual time increases to build stamina. for me, an extra five minutes ain't gonna do anything to my state of mind, but tell me to run faster for two minutes and it feels like the longest two minutes of my life! just a personal thing, but here's what i'd recommend:

first, make sure you do *gradual* increases. i don't know how many days a week you jog, but try to increase the second day five minutes just to start. (ie run five minutes longer on tuesday than monday and on friday than thursday, or something like that) it can even start out as just one day that is five minutes more in a week. then stick with that for two weeks. after two weeks, then do a little more increase. that way you give your body time to get used to the changes and you gradually develop more endurance. also, the staggering is nice and kind of fun! good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2005, 03:42 PM   #3
(male)

redbeamer HB User

I recommend a combination of training to increase your stamina. I usually jog three days a week, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. That gives me a day in between each jogging session in which I usually strength train. Then I rest completely on the weekends. Anyway, as far as the jogging, I try to vary my routine in order to keep my body adapting to different conditions. For instance, I run for about 20 minutes on Mondays at a moderate pace (7-8 minute miles), then I run for 30 minutes on Wednesday at a slow pace (9-10 minute miles), then on Fridays I interval train. I have noticed that on my Wednesday runs I feel like I could go forever when 30 minutes used to kill me. This is a routine I picked up on an army website that they use to get their men ready for basic training so that should give you an idea of how well it works. Hope that helps.

Old 10-20-2005, 05:45 AM   #4
(male)

tomh HB User

Alternate days and gradual increases got me from couch to marathon in 53 weeks. Do a long run each week. Increase the long run by 10% each week. Increase the total weekly mileage by 10%. Remember to get other exercise as well. Enjoy.

Old 10-20-2005, 10:44 PM   #5

never2L8 HB User

Thanks for the feedback, gives me a couple of options to try.

Closed Thread