It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2005, 01:56 PM   #1
(female)

camille23 HB User
sleep deprivation and working out

hi, i have a problem and a question.
i have had about 9 hours of sleep in the last 4 days. needless to say, i am completely exhausted. i take diet pills and drink coffee all day long just to stay awake. i just have trouble sleeping at night. don't know why, anyway, would it be better for me to catch up on sleep instead of workout, or should i just go to the gym anyway feeling like im going to fall over and just hope my body will wake up? i am 22 yrs old, female, 5'3, 140 lbs and am trying to gain some mass. i just have heard 2 different things. that you should workout when your tired, and that no, you should get sleep and workout when you're refreshed so you'll get the most out of the workout. anyway, someone please help!!
thanks so much.

Old 10-19-2005, 02:31 PM   #2

Sixbells99 HB User
Re: sleep deprivation and working out

To answer your question should you workout when your tried or after you wake up? The answer is not so simple. The most important element of working out is that you do it consistently. That will mean sometimes your tired and itís the last thing you want to do, however itís during those periods that your exercise regime is at make or break. As if you quit on that workout youíll find it easier to make excuses to quit other times and so goes the spiral to quitting. However an element as important to training consistency is a healthy life style, eating the right foods, getting adequate rest etc. If you consistently not getting enough sleep and therefore your always tired and fatigued this will have a very negative effect on your workout. So regardless if itís better to workout before or after sleep you need to get your sleep patterns resolved. Some days you will train when your tired and others days youíll feel a million dollars. The key is balance, so my answer would be to look at ways to resolve your sleep pattern as this will help tremendously with any fitness program, you need at least 8 hours a sleep a night.

So catch up on your sleep, get this element corrected, itís so important for physical and mental health. Then once you done this then look at a workout program. Training now and again when your a little tired is ok, however not 9 hours sleep in 4 days working out in my view is a no no which such little sleep. You just going to put a lot of stress on an already very stressed body.

Last edited by Sixbells99; 10-19-2005 at 02:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2005, 02:58 PM   #3
(female)

camille23 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixbells99
To answer your question should you workout when your tried or after you wake up? The answer is not so simple. The most important element of working out is that you do it consistently. That will mean sometimes your tired and itís the last thing you want to do, however itís during those periods that your exercise regime is at make or break. As if you quit on that workout youíll find it easier to make excuses to quit other times and so goes the spiral to quitting. However an element as important to training consistency is a healthy life style, eating the right foods, getting adequate rest etc. If you consistently not getting enough sleep and therefore your always tired and fatigued this will have a very negative effect on your workout. So regardless if itís better to workout before or after sleep you need to get your sleep patterns resolved. Some days you will train when your tired and others days youíll feel a million dollars. The key is balance, so my answer would be to look at ways to resolve your sleep pattern as this will help tremendously with any fitness program, you need at least 8 hours a sleep a night.

So catch up on your sleep, get this element corrected, itís so important for physical and mental health. Then once you done this then look at a workout program. Training now and again when your a little tired is ok, however not 9 hours sleep in 4 days working out in my view is a no no which such little sleep. You just going to put a lot of stress on an already very stressed body.

thanks for the advice, but let me just say that i have been working out consistently for 6 years, like to train each body part twice a week, and im quite the fanatic about working out and looking tight, so it's not like i would have a problem if i were to take a day off for sleep as you said that taking off a day would lead to a down spiral of quitting all together, not in my case. if i miss a workout, i feel like i gained 50 lbs, i just am mental that way. exactly what kind of stress are you meaning?

Old 10-20-2005, 11:51 AM   #4

Sixbells99 HB User

Everything is about balance, missing a few workout will not hurt yet at the same time itís important to train sometimes when you donít feel like it. Normally itís after those sessions you feel the most invigorated. However I donít mean that if you have hardly slept in a week that if you chose sleep over a workout you suddenly on the slippery slope to quitting, thatís not what I meant.

With regards sleep and stress, sleep deprivation can lower the immune system increase mental health problems such as depression, anxiety and is just basically a whole strain on the body. Nobody does anything well be it training or just plain thinking if they havenít slept.

The body is trying to cope without itís needed rest periods, then using caffeine and diet pills to keep it awake is going to put even more stress on it, couple that with a training session and your now putting your body under a lot of negative stress, which is not going to be very conducive to building muscle. If you want to gain mass, then you need to grow lean muscle and thatís going to be a much slower process if the body is trying to cope with many other factors.

Last edited by Sixbells99; 10-20-2005 at 11:54 AM.

Old 10-21-2005, 08:03 AM   #5
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by camille23
i have had about 9 hours of sleep in the last 4 days. needless to say, i am completely exhausted. i take diet pills and drink coffee all day long just to stay awake. i just have trouble sleeping at night. don't know why, anyway, would it be better for me to catch up on sleep instead of workout, or should i just go to the gym anyway feeling like im going to fall over and just hope my body will wake up? i am 22 yrs old, female, 5'3, 140 lbs and am trying to gain some mass. i just have heard 2 different things. that you should workout when your tired, and that no, you should get sleep and workout when you're refreshed so you'll get the most out of the workout. anyway, someone please help!!
thanks so much.
Camille,

I see that you are a "fanatic" with your workouts so I guess my question to you would be why not be a "fanatic" with your nutrition and internal health? Diet pills and that much coffee are inflammatory to our internal organs and with the lack of sleep from both can lead to stroke or heart attack. I do not think working out while sleep deprived is a good idea especially if you are sleep deprived due to these stimulants..Lisa

Old 10-21-2005, 09:00 AM   #6
(female)

Kentucky_Miss HB User

Get some sleep before you seriously injure yourself. Think driving long distance, would you drive for 2 hours straight on 3 hours of sleep. Some have, but it is dangerous, be careful.

Old 10-23-2005, 01:22 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by camille23
thanks so much.
Dump the diet pills and coffee; after awhile the sleep pattern will return those things are overstimualting your nervous system and brain! Sleep helps repair things, including muscle tissue and growth so try to get into better sleep hygeine.

Closed Thread