It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2005, 09:02 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User
Exercise and beta blockers - Please help

I know that to get the benefits of exercise for both heart health and weight loss, you must get your heart rate up to a certain level for a sustained amount of time. Well, I am on a beta blocker for a form of tachycardia. I take 120mg a day (30mg qid) of propranolol. So, it is nearly impossible to do this w/o passing out from exhaustion. I am VERY easily exhausted. Does this mean I exercise is useless to me?? Any advice suggestions??? I am 31 and only about 10-15 lbs overweight from having a baby 1 year ago.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2005, 09:17 AM   #2
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
Re: Exercise and beta blockers - Please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheers44
I know that to get the benefits of exercise for both heart health and weight loss, you must get your heart rate up to a certain level for a sustained amount of time. Well, I am on a beta blocker for a form of tachycardia. I take 120mg a day (30mg qid) of propranolol. So, it is nearly impossible to do this w/o passing out from exhaustion. I am VERY easily exhausted. Does this mean I exercise is useless to me?? Any advice suggestions??? I am 31 and only about 10-15 lbs overweight from having a baby 1 year ago.
I was put on many different meds due to high BP and with the beta blockers I hit a brick wall with my workouts not getting my heart rate up to the way I felt it should be. It also made me feel like it was pulling my heart rate down while my excercsing was bringing it up. It was like they fought each other. I asked the doc to change my meds taking into consideration my avid workout routine and he did. Ask your doc what else you can take for your situation...Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2005, 09:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie75
I was put on many different meds due to high BP and with the beta blockers I hit a brick wall with my workouts not getting my heart rate up to the way I felt it should be. It also made me feel like it was pulling my heart rate down while my excercsing was bringing it up. It was like they fought each other. I asked the doc to change my meds taking into consideration my avid workout routine and he did. Ask your doc what else you can take for your situation...Lisa
Well, I do not have an avid routine by any means. In fact I HATE exercise. Having tachycardia...high heart rate is something I hate to feel. However, I know that I need exercise to maintain a healthy life. I have to be on this med as it has changed my life drasically and keeps my HR down and w/o so many palpitiations. I have talked to the Dr before (briefly) and she just said you may have trouble getting your HR up while exercising, but acted like it didnt matter.

Old 10-24-2005, 06:02 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

dreamer89 HB User

I was taking a beta blocker torprol at 100 mg, and it definitly put a stop on any stamina in walking or jogging.

so I cut the dosage down, gradually, then got real sick, I guess when you are a migrainer you can't go completly off of them, then beta blockers help that so I found at 40 mg on average doesn't interfere with my ability to exercise now.

I personally love my walking, hiking and some jogging thrown in to liven things up, it takes many months for the body to adjust to it, and max heart rate goes down, so you don't need to bother with max heart rates charts beta blockers lower that but you need to find the right dosage if you absolutly must use them, and the right kind, I personally did lousy on the metropropol but torprol is a time release kind so 40 mg and sometimes 50 mg is working for me.

getting the heart rate at a good level yet still being able to exercise is the key, by slowing the heart it can improve it's pumping ability as going to fast it can't fill up sufficiently which is actually ineffiecient for exercise. but you still need it to speed up enough to exercise.

talk to your doctor about making adjustments to a lower dose or a different kind, I am not sure but don't calcium channel blockers slow the heart some? not sure tho.

RR

Old 10-24-2005, 06:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy101 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer40
I was taking a beta blocker torprol at 100 mg, and it definitly put a stop on any stamina in walking or jogging.

so I cut the dosage down, gradually, then got real sick, I guess when you are a migrainer you can't go completly off of them, then beta blockers help that so I found at 40 mg on average doesn't interfere with my ability to exercise now.

I personally love my walking, hiking and some jogging thrown in to liven things up, it takes many months for the body to adjust to it, and max heart rate goes down, so you don't need to bother with max heart rates charts beta blockers lower that but you need to find the right dosage if you absolutly must use them, and the right kind, I personally did lousy on the metropropol but torprol is a time release kind so 40 mg and sometimes 50 mg is working for me.

getting the heart rate at a good level yet still being able to exercise is the key, by slowing the heart it can improve it's pumping ability as going to fast it can't fill up sufficiently which is actually ineffiecient for exercise. but you still need it to speed up enough to exercise.

talk to your doctor about making adjustments to a lower dose or a different kind, I am not sure but don't calcium channel blockers slow the heart some? not sure tho.

RR
What do you take the BB for??

Old 11-14-2005, 11:53 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

macro HB User

try moderate to brisk walking.

also consider talking to your doctor about lowering dose and alternative medications.

Closed Thread