It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2005, 07:39 PM   #1
(male)

rohr4u HB User
Niaspan side effects

I've been taking Niaspan for six months and am experiencing severe calf muscle cramps when I exercise at the gym and frequently in the middle of night time sleep. I have been working out for 30 years, drink enough fluids and supplements, and do the usual warm up and stretching. The only new thing in my life is the Niaspan. Has anyone had a similar problem with Niaspan.

Last edited by rohr4u; 10-20-2005 at 07:53 PM. Reason: It should not be posted on the exercise thread. The question is about medication for cholesterol.

Old 10-21-2005, 07:53 AM   #2
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
Re: Niaspan side effects

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohr4u
I've been taking Niaspan for six months and am experiencing severe calf muscle cramps when I exercise at the gym and frequently in the middle of night time sleep. I have been working out for 30 years, drink enough fluids and supplements, and do the usual warm up and stretching. The only new thing in my life is the Niaspan. Has anyone had a similar problem with Niaspan.
I have found that most of the cholesterol lowering meds all have this effect. Side effects for Niaspan are :
Abdominal pain, chills, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, flushing, headache, indigestion, itching, nasal inflammation, nausea, pain, rapid heartbeat, rash, shortness of breath, sweating, swelling due to fluid retention, vomiting.

If I were you I would try healthier alternatives before being put on any meds. I am on an almost vegetatrian diet getting my proteins from soy and legumes and whole grains. Animal Protein is detremental to our cholesterol levels especially red meat which I do not touch at all. I try to stick to organic free range white meat and wild fish since regular meats are loaded with antibiotics and hormones. If you are not up to this drastic change ask to be put on other meds. There are natural alternatives to reducing your cholesterol but watch the red yeast rice it is a natural statin which also causes inflammation of the muscles..Lisa

Last edited by Moxie75; 10-21-2005 at 07:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2005, 10:34 AM   #3
(female)

cat3883 HB User

This happened to my husband. You need to call your doctor and they will change your meds.

Old 10-21-2005, 04:57 PM   #4
(male)

rohr4u HB User

Thanks for the replies! My problem with cholesterol is that my "bad" or LDL is low which is good, but my "good" or HDL cholesterol is very low which is bad. Usually the HDL can be brought up by exercise and diet--both of which I have been observing for years and they aren't having any effect. The low HDL is throwing my ratio off into the risk category.

The Niaspan is not supposed to cause cramping or muscle weakness like the statins do. My Doctor has advised me of that. His idea was to put me on magnesium and that was no help.

My trainer thinks I need to increase my fluid intake so I will try that for a few weeks. If that is not helpful then I will go off the Niaspan and see if the cramps cease. Trial and error.

Closed Thread