It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2005, 09:43 AM   #1

Tad HB User
helpful tip on toning

I was just wondering what a good exercise is to tone the chest muscles?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2005, 10:38 AM   #2

Sixbells99 HB User
Re: helpful tip on toning

Hi Tad,
First of all you have to define toning? If you mean not much mass but a lot of definition and hardness, well thatís a result of low body fat coupled of course with good quantity of lean muscle. For me the best chest exercises are the most common ones, you donít need anything exotic when it comes to weights simple is always best. Dumbell flyes, pec dec and pull overs, will help gain mass along with the traditional bench press. However I prefer to do the bench press with dumbbells rather than a barbell. If you starting out train twice a week 2 sets 10 to 12 reps and do this for about month. Then add one more set so it goes up to 3. Two chest exercises per workout should be enough. Always start with the big compound exercises first. So in terms of order start with the Benchpress, then dumbbell flys. Instead of the dumbbell flyes you could used the pec dec or cable cross overs. If you want to add extra intensity you can start with dumbbell flys then the bench press, this is called pre-exhaustion. Not advisable to start with, but after a few months you may want to try this. However to get the best results you need an all over workout plan and not just train one muscle.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2005, 09:51 AM   #3

Tad HB User

Hi Thanks right now I am doing the treadmill anywhere from 30 min to 45 mins at a 15% incline and go from 2.5 milies to 3.5 miles an hour I go for about 5 min at 2.5 and 2 to 3 min at 3.5 and switch back and forth. I also do what is called a cross ramp for 30 to 45 mins then I do a couple of the weights like the chest press, 3 sets of 8, one for the stomach, for the back, and two that work the inner thigh and outter thigh all 3 sets of 8. I've been doing this for about 6 months 5 to 6 days a week. I'll give the bench press a try. Thanks oh should I not be doing the above so much??? Tad

Old 10-23-2005, 11:34 AM   #4

Sixbells99 HB User

Hi Tad,

My first question back to you with regards your workout is how do you think itís doing?
How much has your strength increased in the past 6 months. If you just started 6 months ago then it should have increased by a lot, if you have a good training program.

If you doing cardio and the same weight training exercises 6 days a week then I can tell you that your weight training program is off. At most you should train the same muscle twice a week and as you get stronger and the intensity increases you can probably reduce it to once a week. But you shouldnít train it 6 days in a row.
One possible routine ( and remember there are an almost endless amount) would be

Session 1
Chest, Shoulders, Tricep, Abs

Session 2
Legs, Abs

Session 3
Back and Biceps

You could switch the Ticep with Session 3. Do two exercises per muscle group, such as bench press and flys for chest, Shoulder raises and side raises, but since the triceps would have been worked hard with the other exercise do only one exercises if you put it in session 1. As for your cardio always do that after your weights. Also this regime should be done 3 times in 7 days not twice in one week i.e 6 times a week.

Last edited by Sixbells99; 10-23-2005 at 11:36 AM.

Old 10-24-2005, 06:30 PM   #5

Tad HB User

sixbells
Working out on the treadmill and the cross ramp for 30 minutes each day 6 days a week and split up the weights like you said would work out fine I hope. I still need to lose at least 30 pounds and right now am at a stand still. Will this help??? thanks Tad

Closed Thread