It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2005, 11:01 PM   #1
(female)

Raine Bow HB User
Workouts in the morning\cardio questions

Hi,

I have it in my head that if you do cardio workouts after you get up in the morning before breakfast, it jumpstarts your metabolism. But when I try it, I am hungry in the morning and I am sluggish when I go through my routine of stretching, pushups, sittups, ect. Do I need to grin and bear it till my body gets up to speed or am I doing something wrong?

I was reading a post recently and one of the members said that if you do chiefly cardio, you will lose muscle mass. I do 4 hours of TaeKwonDo a week, plus other cardio related chores such as raking the lawn,( I have an acre + of leaves that I rake up.) cleaning stalls and horseback riding. I really want to keep my cardio so I can increase my endurance. I've already noticed a difference when I am walking, I am not tired and out of breath when I am done. But I don't want to lose any muscle. Any suggestions, thoughts, comments?

Old 10-25-2005, 04:47 AM   #2
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
Re: Workouts in the morning\cardio questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine Bow
Hi,

I have it in my head that if you do cardio workouts after you get up in the morning before breakfast, it jumpstarts your metabolism. But when I try it, I am hungry in the morning and I am sluggish when I go through my routine of stretching, pushups, sittups, ect. Do I need to grin and bear it till my body gets up to speed or am I doing something wrong?

I was reading a post recently and one of the members said that if you do chiefly cardio, you will lose muscle mass. I do 4 hours of TaeKwonDo a week, plus other cardio related chores such as raking the lawn,( I have an acre + of leaves that I rake up.) cleaning stalls and horseback riding. I really want to keep my cardio so I can increase my endurance. I've already noticed a difference when I am walking, I am not tired and out of breath when I am done. But I don't want to lose any muscle. Any suggestions, thoughts, comments?
Cardio is crucial to your workouts. I do believe that all cardio and no strength training is not a good thing but better than nothing at all. You can lose muscle if your cardio routine is extreme. I have a friend who runs every day 10 miles with no strength training at all and she has muscle waste and looks anorexic. It sounds as if you have a very active life and you should be commended but I really do feel you should start incorporating some weights in your exercising. As for when to do it? Everyone is different for me I find my morning workouts with nothing but a full glass of water in me are the best. It gets me going big time throughout the day. Some days due to my schedule I have to my workouts after work and although it's a good workout I do not feel I am getting my best as opposed to the mornings..Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2005, 10:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User

Speaking from personal experience, I can tell you that morning cardio is wonderful. Sure it's a pain to get up earlier and it's a pain to exercise when you're not fully awake and haven't eaten yet. Some people drink coffee right before their cardio session, but I've found that if I just jump on the elliptical, after 20 minutes I feel great. I'm no longer tired and I'm feeling really good about myself because I know that I'm burning fat. As for the idea that morning cardio burns muscle, I personally think that's just a myth perpetuated by bodybuilders who, by nature, are paranoid about muscle loss. I have been doing 1 hour of cardio every morning for months now and have only seen a 1 pound loss of muscle. If you can sustain the cardio for at least 45 minutes, then that means it's not intense enough to eat up muscle. Second, if you're losing muscle, it's more likely the result of insufficient calories, protein, or long gaps between meals. Before doing morning cardio, I was seeing some fat loss. But now I see major progress, but not at the expense of muscle because I'm making sure to eat enough food and often enough. Ever since switching to the morning for cardio, my body fat has dropped, I feel more energized during the day, I can concentrate better, I have better control over my appetite, and I even sleep better. And best of all, if something comes up and I have to stay late at work or go run errands in the evening, I know that I got my daily exercise done already. Plus, I love the fact that I can now see my abs and easily wear a size 30 pant. But I do agree that you need to include weight training. Too many people do either cardio or weight training, but not both. What a mistake that is. Weight training tells your body to hold onto muscle and it really firms you up. And doing cardio helps you recover from weight training sessions faster. I've got a great routine now where I cardio every morning and weight training 3 evenings a week. That leaves me 4 free evenings to do whatever I want. That's better than a lot of people I know who do nothing in the morning so they have to exercise every evening.

Last edited by DonutsNCoffee; 10-27-2005 at 10:46 AM.

Old 10-27-2005, 10:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

I can not agree with Donuts more! I took his advice over on the weight loss board a few months ago about exercising in the morning and can't believe my results!!! It takes a while to get used to it, and I still don't love waking up so early -- and now in the cold, dark weather -- but I think it's much more effective for losing flab than exercising in the evenings.

Now, once I focus more on weight training, I'll think about working out in the afternoons/evenings, but for strictly cardio, mornings really work better for me. Cardio is my main focus right now, four days a week, with strength training twice a week. I found the strength training didn't agree with me at all in the mornings, BTW, just cardio.

I will say to the OP that the mornings I work out, I definitely eat a little differently throughout the day or else I get somewhat light-headed. It does get better as time goes on and eating small, healthy snacks regularly seems to help. I also have one cup of coffee and a big glass of ice water before the cardio. The combination of the two seems to really wake me up.

The benefits of seeing that scale go down, tho, and the increased mental alertness, better sleep, everything else he mentioned is sooo worth it.

Donuts, if you read this, I really can't thank you enough for your suggestion!!!

Lysne

Old 10-27-2005, 03:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

DonutsNCoffee brings up a good point. When you work out in the morning you have no excuses. I know personally, when I used to workout in the afternoon/evening, something would always come up and not allow me to get to the gym. Now, I get up early and workout. It feels good knowing I've already worked out and don't have to worry about fitting it in during the rest of my day and it really gives me a great boost for the rest of the day.

Old 10-27-2005, 03:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jonistyle2 HB User

yeah, i'm with the others! i run 4 mornings a week and i love it! actually i usually don't want to go, but i always do and after about two minutes, i remember why i like it so much! i feel so energized by the time i get to work, i know i don't have to worry about finding time to exercise and i just feel nice and healthy all day. who knows about the metabolism and all that, i say just do it for the feel-good energy effects!

Old 10-28-2005, 07:39 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

DonutsNCoffee HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StenoLady1
I can not agree with Donuts more! I took his advice over on the weight loss board a few months ago about exercising in the morning and can't believe my results!!! It takes a while to get used to it, and I still don't love waking up so early -- and now in the cold, dark weather -- but I think it's much more effective for losing flab than exercising in the evenings.

Now, once I focus more on weight training, I'll think about working out in the afternoons/evenings, but for strictly cardio, mornings really work better for me. Cardio is my main focus right now, four days a week, with strength training twice a week. I found the strength training didn't agree with me at all in the mornings, BTW, just cardio.

I will say to the OP that the mornings I work out, I definitely eat a little differently throughout the day or else I get somewhat light-headed. It does get better as time goes on and eating small, healthy snacks regularly seems to help. I also have one cup of coffee and a big glass of ice water before the cardio. The combination of the two seems to really wake me up.

The benefits of seeing that scale go down, tho, and the increased mental alertness, better sleep, everything else he mentioned is sooo worth it.

Donuts, if you read this, I really can't thank you enough for your suggestion!!!

Lysne
Lysne, you're very welcome. It's a wonderful feeling to see such progress, isn't it?

The one thing I would suggest to anyone doing morning cardio is that you try not to think of it just in terms of fat loss. The reason I say that is because a few years back, I was trying to lose a lot of weight by doing morning cardio. When I finally reached my fat loss goals, I stopped doing the cardio because I figured I didn't really need it anymore. Well, like a lot of people who've lost weight, I soon gained it back. It happened slowly and I wasn't really paying attention at first, but before I knew it, the weight I worked so hard to get rid of was back on.

Unfortunately, when most people think of exercise, they think of losing weight, as if losing weight were the only reason to exercise. I was never an athletic person, never cared for sports and always hated exercise. But it's only now that it's finally sunk in just how beneficial regular exercise is. I feel better, I eat better, I'm more rested, I feel a lot less stress, and feel younger, certainly younger than my coworkers.

So do yourself a big favor and think of all the benefits of morning cardio that go beyond fat loss. If you get into this mindset, not only will it be easier to stay motivated, but you'll also have an easier time keeping the weight off after you've lost it.

Old 10-28-2005, 10:24 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

StenoLady1 HB UserStenoLady1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutsNCoffee
Lysne, you're very welcome. It's a wonderful feeling to see such progress, isn't it?

The one thing I would suggest to anyone doing morning cardio is that you try not to think of it just in terms of fat loss. The reason I say that is because a few years back, I was trying to lose a lot of weight by doing morning cardio. When I finally reached my fat loss goals, I stopped doing the cardio because I figured I didn't really need it anymore. Well, like a lot of people who've lost weight, I soon gained it back. It happened slowly and I wasn't really paying attention at first, but before I knew it, the weight I worked so hard to get rid of was back on.

Unfortunately, when most people think of exercise, they think of losing weight, as if losing weight were the only reason to exercise. I was never an athletic person, never cared for sports and always hated exercise. But it's only now that it's finally sunk in just how beneficial regular exercise is. I feel better, I eat better, I'm more rested, I feel a lot less stress, and feel younger, certainly younger than my coworkers.

So do yourself a big favor and think of all the benefits of morning cardio that go beyond fat loss. If you get into this mindset, not only will it be easier to stay motivated, but you'll also have an easier time keeping the weight off after you've lost it.
Yes, it is a wonderful feeling

I actually started a cardio program not for weight loss, but for high cholesterol. Doc said I needed to walk daily and eat (and not eat) certain foods. However, I did need to shed a few pounds. While I certainly didn't gain any weight during the time I was walking in the evenings, I wasn't really losing much, either. I'm sure walking at any time of day is good for heart health and probably good for just maintaining, but I figured if I were going to make some changes regarding my dietary choices and exercise daily, I'd like to see some flab come off, as well.

Frankly, even after I lose some pounds and hopefully get my numbers on track, I'd still walk in the mornings if it's not too cold or pitch black out. I just love the way I feel during the rest of the day and that evening.

Have a great weekend & Happy Halloween

Lysne

Last edited by StenoLady1; 10-28-2005 at 10:26 AM.

Old 02-20-2006, 07:45 PM   #9
(male)

thmsj46 HB User

I was thinking of doing a morning cardio session on a home stair master. This seems to be most forgiving on my knees so I use a stairmaster for my cardio. Usually I hold on to the handles and step away, but I wondered if I could add super light weight at the same time to curl with, or over head press with. Like some 3-5 pounders. Does this add to the cardio effect at all or a waste of time? And if this is possible could you do that in the morning and then weight train later in the day, bi's & shoulders after morning cardio with light weights? Thank You in advance, I searched 4 pages and didn't see this question, just wondering.

Old 02-21-2006, 12:18 PM   #10
(male)

syrus HB User

I try to get up earlier and have something lite to eat; some fruit or yogurt usually does the trick. I've also read that if you're feeling tired in the morning during your workouts, sip on some coffee. Not only will the coffee help wake you up, but it will also speed up your heart rate a bit.

Last edited by syrus; 02-21-2006 at 12:19 PM.

Closed Thread