It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2005, 11:32 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User
wearing heavy clothes while exercising

Maybe someone could shed some light on this for me. In the gym I see many people mostly men who wear heavy sweatshirts and winter type ski hats while working out in the gym. They wear it during cardio and weights. It could be 95 degrees out they are still dressing like this. Is there some benfit of doing this that I'm missing?

Old 10-26-2005, 02:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: wearing heavy clothes while exercising

Aside from keeping the muscles warmer for longer (which only really helps pliability) I'm of the personal opinion it's a fashion sort of thing. I see it too. I don't get it either.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2005, 04:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

OK, that makes me feel better that you (naxis) don't get it either I thought I was missing something.

Old 10-27-2005, 04:22 AM   #4
(female)

zeez HB User

Hi Bluehen,

I'd wondered the same thing! All I could come up with is maybe they think they'll sweat more? I'm not a believer in sweat more=better. Glad to see I'm not alone!
~zeez

Old 10-27-2005, 06:54 AM   #5
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

It does sound like a fashion thing to me also but I do know that sweating releases toxins in your body. It is always good to sweat as long as you keep hydrated. Infared Saunas are also great for releasing toxins. Myself I have never been in a sauna but I do wear heavier clothing while working out..Lisa

Old 10-27-2005, 03:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

I don't get it either. I basically dress the same way in the winter that I do during the summer. The reason being, I get extremly hot very easily.

Old 10-27-2005, 04:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

I guess I always felt if you need to wear heavy clothes to sweat or keep warm then your not working hard enough.

Old 10-29-2005, 11:45 PM   #8

veryworriedguy2 HB User

It's probably not the same for most people but i wear heavier clothing when working out because I'm just about the skinniest person you've ever seen and I'm quite embarassed about it (thus why i joined the gym :P) and wearing the heavier clothing hides it a little.

Old 10-30-2005, 04:47 AM   #9

Sixbells99 HB User

In the 70ís it was common place to see guys in the gym wear shorts over their tracksuit pants, I think you can see this phenomena in he film pumping iron . Iím sure somebody thought up some biochemical reason that somehow this helped performance ))))

The only real important thing you should think of regarding what you wear is that it doesnít restrict your movements. After that itís personal choice. Some prefer to wear very little exposing their muscles, which motivates them to work harder. Others like to be all covered up in baggy sweats. But ultimately is down to how fashionable you want to look and what you feel comfortable working out in. If you feel good about yourself and what you wear this will help motivate you in the gym. If you just starting out you probably donít want to show your yet to develop muscle, so baggys would probably be best. Likewise some people like to show off their results or see their muscles as they workout, so itís real a personal choice thing.

Old 10-30-2005, 02:55 PM   #10
(male)

Zebadee HB User

Maybe they think that if they wear more clothes then they swear more which burns more fat

Old 10-31-2005, 03:48 AM   #11
(male)

redbeamer HB User

Is there any possibility that the guys are fighters? I am a NHB fighter and I wear heavy clothes while working out when I'm close to a fight in order to cut weight to make a certain weight class. Its not the healthiest thing in the world, but it does work so that you can make weight and then rehydrate yourself to be as big as possible by fight time. I usually maintain a body weight that is about 10lbs above my fighting weight and then I have no problems cutting that 10 off in water the day before the fight. Then by the time the fight rolls around, I am back up to my natural weight and therefore am a little bigger than my competition. A little sneaky, but perfectly legal.

Old 11-06-2005, 03:48 PM   #12
(male)

Kawlyn1029 HB User

Man I am doing pretty well with givin' out the advice today.

Anywho Naxis. The reason these guys do wear this heavy clothing is for one or two reasons. One, the reason I wear sweat shirts with hoods, and hats to the gym, is that yes, I do look like a bad-a**, but also, to sweat more. While sweating does release toxins that make you sick, it also cleans your pores, and clogged pores create a poor complexion, but, the real reason I want to sweat more is that your body is 70% water, and to the best of my knowledge that includes fat, losing water makes you look trimmer. Also, these guys may be training for something which has a weight class requirement, in which case their natural weight may be like 182, but they need to be 170 for whatever they're training for, so they need to sweat out 12lbs of water.

The other possible reason (number two) is that they aren't in great shape, and are embarassed about it in the gym, so they cover it up. So don't look at them with your puzzled expressions...they'll think you're judging them.

(As a sidenote: A tip for girls, retaining water (which I think girls do a lot more of then guys) makes you look fatter and It can also create a little bit of a double-chin, at least I think it can, so you might want to try wearing some heavy clothes yourself. However, the best way to lose water weight is to wear heavy clothes in the sauna..)

Closed Thread