It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2005, 07:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User
correct way for senior to do pushups

What is the correct way for a female over 60 to do pushups w/o causing injuries? How often should I do them? I am small boned and 10 lbs overweight which is making it harder for me. My elbows are sore so I must be doing something wrong. I hope I can correct this, or am I just too old to be doing this exercise? Thanks.

Old 11-12-2005, 09:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: correct way for senior to do pushups

There is no "correct" way based on age, but you will need to adjust your form according to ability, and always listen to your body - if it hurts, don't keep doing it. Causing or exacerbating injury does nothing but harm. You don't necessarily need to do pushups, but if you want to do them, you can minimize elbow stress by widening the placement of your hands on the floor. You can make it easier by doing them on your knees instead of your toes, or you can even do them standing and pressing off of a wall or furniture. If you're interested in some low impact resistance training for all your muscles, you might want to consider resistance bands. Fairly cheap, easy to use, and easy to adapt to your fitness level. As your muscles, joints, bones, tendons etc. become conditioned and more fit, exercises should become easier. And it's expecially important for women to do strength training to maintain bone density.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread