It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2005, 04:01 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

theillone HB User
How long before I see results with weightlifting???

Okay!!!, I am 18 years old, and I just started lifting weights Saturday, today is Wednesday, just four days of lifting weights and I've seen results already, believe it or not, my biceps have gotten like twice as big as they were last week. Maybe because I lift heavy with low reps, I'm trying to gain muscle mass. I've been working my abs, triceps, biceps, shoulders, chests, and ribcage. I was wondering how long before I become bulked up and very muscular since I'm seeing results so fast, can it be that someone people may bulk up faster than others, oh yeah I forgot to mention I eat lots, I mean lots of protein and healthy carbs too, like peanut butter, cheese, milk, salted peanuts, turkey, ham, eggs, fruits, vegetables, and potatoes. Maybe this is why my biceps have gotten big so quick, but how long before I really start to bulk up anyone know, if so, please give me feedback I would really appreciate it!!!!

Old 11-15-2005, 04:26 PM   #2
(male)

Dieseldoug HB User
Re: How long before I see results with weightlifting???

Dude:

Take things slow. Lifting weights isn't a sprint it's a marathon. I'm sure you're noticing some puffiness in your arms but it's probably due to the fact that you've torn those muscles and they are "injured" not injured in the sense that you might think, but when you lift you're actually tearing the muscle and as it repairs itself it grows bigger. Give it some time and be careful of your diet! You can't just eat everything in sight or you'll end up a big load.....Eat clean and lift hard and you'll be seeing results in no time! Remember it's a long road but you made the first step by getting into the gym.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2005, 04:55 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

theillone HB User

How long does it take for your muscles to repair themselves???, and why do they look bigger when you're done lifting then when you rest them then they seem smaller, is that part of the repairing stage or what??? and does the same thing go for the chest and ab muscles too???, do they need time to repair and if so, how much time shall I give them???

Old 11-15-2005, 04:57 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

theillone HB User

Oh yeah!!! once you've lifted and torn the muscles, do they repair only when you're sleeping or can they repair and come back bigger while you're moving around during the day too????

Old 11-16-2005, 02:48 PM   #5

Sixbells99 HB User

Muscles look bigger after your workout due to water build up.

Sleep is very important but it doesn’t automatically mean your muscles grow during sleep. The best definition is they grow after they have had time to recover from the exercises and only then. If you train before they have fully recovered their previous strength, then it is very unlike your body will go into adaptation and your muscles will not grow.

For the average person it will take a year before you see any “significant” changes in your size. You should see results after the first session of training in terms of strength. However if you want to gain a lot of lean muscle mass the best way to do this, is the period of training, not frequency. Aim in terms of months and years, this is what it takes, but once you have it, it really doesn’t take a lot to maintain. I train only about every 7 days and I’m still growing.

With regards how much rest you should give, well bigger muscles need longer rest periods. However there’s a basic rule to use, if your not stronger than your last training session, then your over training. How you measure your performance is a little more complicated, there are many methods such as power factor training, HIT etc. But basically if your feeling terrible after a session, if you are lifting significantly less then before your over training.

Closed Thread