It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2005, 05:51 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User
water retention when lifting weights

When I first began to lift weights or when I increase I have water retention for a week or so, of course it goes away but yesterday I was asked why this happens. A friend is becoming discouraged by swollen legs and increase on the scale, this is her first week of increasing her weights so I told her it was normal but how can I explain this process to her.

Old 12-15-2005, 07:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: water retention when lifting weights

Weight lifting alone doesn't cause water retention. If you have increased cabohydrate intake or high sodium intake, it will cause water retntion. Usually it's due to more carbs in the diet to faciliate muscle growth and the higher energy requirements. Carbs bind water molecules to them, so more carbs = more water. That's why low carbers lose so much initial weight. No carbs = water loss. Try drinking more water and minimize sodium to keep the "bloaty" feeling away. Then the water will be kept in the muscles rather than under the skin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2005, 07:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User

I think she did increase carbs after or before workout I'm not exactally sure which one. Also Naxis why when gaining muscle do you tend to gain a bit of fat as well?

Old 12-15-2005, 09:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

When you are gaining muscle, you have to have a calorie surplus. The body needs more in order to build new tissue. Unless you eat very, very clean and are meticulous about calories, some of the tissue will be fat (and trying to build muscle that way is usually a very slow process). There is really no way to ensure that you gain *only* muscle, but you can keep fat gain to a minimum by not overeating and eating as clean as you can.

Old 12-15-2005, 05:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User

What about swelling after lifting weights I notice with me everytime I increase my weight my legs are swollen and I always gain a pound or two on the scale. Is this just from the swelling of the muscle because after a couple of days it goes away>

The Following User Says Thank You to cad2 For This Useful Post:
SOTM (03-13-2011)
Old 12-15-2005, 08:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

I'm actually not familiar with swelling as a result of lifting alone, without other factors being involved (aside from glycogen replenishment and resulting water retention). I'm not sure what to tell you there.

Old 12-16-2005, 05:35 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User

I must just have some strange thing that goes on with me, what happens is after I lift my heavier weight about two or three hours my legs shake and all around the muscle feels like it is just puffing up. You can't see the definition in my legs, it stays like that for usually 2 days after that it goes away and once again the definition is back in my legs, I even wake up the next morning with my rings really tight. Im not quite sure how to explain this any better. It happens every time and I am not a big carb eater myself so I don't increase, could it be that I am not eating enough carbsand I just clean out my stores that I have left, have you ever heard of anything like this?????

Old 12-16-2005, 09:28 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

I really haven't, but you might try drinking more water and really pay attention to sodium. Drinking more water might seem counterintuitive, but it makes the kidneys really start working and when the body realizes that it's getting more water, it's encouraged to let go of what it's retaining. I'm not sure of what else to recommend. I hope you find something that helps.

Old 12-16-2005, 04:28 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cad2
I must just have some strange thing that goes on with me, what happens is after I lift my heavier weight about two or three hours my legs shake and all around the muscle feels like it is just puffing up. You can't see the definition in my legs, it stays like that for usually 2 days after that it goes away and once again the definition is back in my legs, I even wake up the next morning with my rings really tight. Im not quite sure how to explain this any better. It happens every time and I am not a big carb eater myself so I don't increase, could it be that I am not eating enough carbsand I just clean out my stores that I have left, have you ever heard of anything like this?????
I would have your heart function checked out by a doctor. Sometimes when there is a problem with your cardiovascular system it causes edema (water retention and swelling). Since this happens after you lift heavier, it may mean that your heart may be put under too much stress and it effects its work.

Closed Thread