It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2005, 08:35 PM   #1

Amosquito HB User
Itching while exercising

I have experienced intense itching about 10-15 minutes into my walks. I first noticed it when I wore jeans while walking last summer. Thighs started itching, figured it was not enough space between skin and fabric and maybe some friction.

I got it really bad the other day when it was cold out, and I put on fleece lined wind pants that are NOT tight against my skin, they fit very comfortably. My things did the same thing, after about 15 minutes - intense itching, that I COULD NOT - NOT scratch. I gave myself red streaks and a couple of bruised spots!!

It's only on my thighs, and I figure that's the muscles that are being "used" the most. I'm not unfit, and I can walk inside on a treadmill a 20 minute mile without the itching.

I remember as a kid (and my sister confirmed this on Christmas Day) that when we'd be outside in the snow and get cold enough where we had to go in, we'd get itching once the skin began to warm up.

ANYONE HAVE ANY CLUES or SUGGESTIONS? I don't know if I should wear shorts outside in the 30 degree weather, or wear warmer wind pants?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2005, 09:59 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

firewtr38 HB User
Re: Itching while exercising

That actually happened to me too, over the summer. It obviously wasn't cold at the time. And I was wearing shorts. I never really figured out what it was. I think it has to do with tight muscles. It doesn't happen anymore. You might have tension in your muscles. Try some stretching.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2006, 12:08 PM   #3
(female)

330exGirlOrl HB User

I get the exact same way when I'm on the eliptical machine. My stomach, chest, and sides always seem to itch. I'm not sure why, but I think it might be something to do with the sweat dripping over the tiny hairs??? Just an idea, lol.

Old 01-01-2006, 12:35 PM   #4

Amosquito HB User

I considered sweat as the issue, but my thighs are not sweating when this happens, and I do sweat on my chest and upper back/neck when I'm exercising and I don't itch there.

My husband seems to think if I keep doing the walks, the itching will go away? I'm more and more convinced it's a combo of the muscles in the thighs being "USED", so blood goes to them, AND the pants touching, even if not tight, is enough to set it off?

Old 01-01-2006, 01:40 PM   #5
(female)

330exGirlOrl HB User

Ya, that sounds like it could be a good explanation. It kind of reminds me of when your foot falls asleep and the blood starts coming back (just not as intense). It's more annoying than anything else... and sometimes embarrassing because you feel like you'er constantly scratching, lmao

Old 01-02-2006, 09:08 AM   #6

Amosquito HB User

OK, more info.........yesterday, I didn't do the walk. I stayed inside and did 30 minutes of stairmaster. I get my heart rate up to 130 and maintain it for the 30 minutes, so there are about 12 minutes of "getting up to 130 pulse". Anyway......
I was DEFINITELY using my thigh muscles, even had on tight exercise pants, full length and was sweating on my upper half like mad. TONS of friction between those pants and my muscles on the thighs. NO itching???

I'm clueless! I would say it's got to be "just being out in colder temps, though my legs are completely warm inside the pants", but it did happen in the summer when my shorts touched my thighs. I wasn't as fit in the summer.

SIGH.........this is really annoying my brain

Old 01-07-2006, 09:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Wow! I have the same exact problem. I have found that when I exercise indoors it rarely ever happens.. very strange! Somebody posted about this a long time ago and had gone to the doctor about it.. I don't believe they found out what caused it!

All I know is that it isn't caused by the pants/shorts for me. I thought it was my pants at first, so switched to shorts, and even the part of my thighs that weren't covered still got it.

I think I have it totally figured out though.. and my boyfriend said he believes so also.. it is probably because of trapped sweat. When you run outside there is more of a breeze, which blows against certain parts of you and stops the sweating. I notice I sweat other places, but NEVER on the itchy parts! Once I stop and go inside, I start sweating and the itching stops! So I'm like 99% sure this is what it is.

Also, sometimes when exercising on those bikes where your back is against a seat, my back will itch, but that was from friction of my back rubbing against the back.

Too bad there isn't any easy way to solve this , but let me know if you figure out any ways to help! I've just been sticking to indoor running on the treadmill or the eliptical.

Old 01-07-2006, 09:51 PM   #8
(male)

Wicker Man HB User

Hey guys, if you are itching while working out or exercising, a big part of the problem could be to much salt in your system. If you have excessive salt in your body, when you get hot you secret salt in your sweat which is very iritating to your skin, such areas are your neck, back, forehead, shoulders, arm pits, groin and chest. Your body maybe retaining alot of salt, I had the same problem and I went to the doc and thats what he told me.

Old 01-08-2006, 11:57 AM   #9

Amosquito HB User

I'm actually on a low sod. diet and have been for about a decade.
I've been told it's from sweat, and to get the wicking pants, but if it *were* sweat, wouldn't I itch like mad where I KNOW I'm sweating profusely? It just doesn't happen.

The other day I tried, lighter weight, polyester instead of fleece (lined) wind pants. It was a lot colder and the itching and cold feeling on my thighs happened a lot quicker, so maybe it is from the cold. WIll try the fleece lined wind pants next and see if they help.

Old 01-08-2006, 07:45 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Yeah for me it isn't the high salt either, b/c where I itch is where I'm NOT sweating.. and once I sweat then it's perfectly fine and goes away. I think really warm pants may help since they will MAKE you sweat and it won't be blocked.

Closed Thread