It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2006, 01:51 PM   #1
(female)

lehara HB User
confused about treadmill incline

I just read the post about someone worried that their leg size will increase when walking on the treadmill at an incline. In that post, it was confirmed that walking on an incline will increase the size of your legs by building muscle. Well, now I am confused. To lose weight, I was instructed by the trainer at my gym that the best way to do so was to walk on an incline, making the workout harder because of the resistance, burning much more calories while building muscle which then in turn will burn more fat and eventually lead to a leaner overall physique. I am trying to achieve a "lean" look, and I thought all along that exercising with resistance and working with weights will eventually build the muscle mass that is needed to burn the excess fat. So, I just wanted to confirm: to get a lean body, running at no incline is the best thing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: confused about treadmill incline

Not everyone WILL get bulky legs from incline walking, but as stated, resistance can add muscle and incline is resistance. Trainers tend to recommend incline as a way to avoid making a client run or jog, and still add intensity to the workout. If you can run or jog, it is a higher intensity workoutwithout the resistance and better for calorie/fat burning. If you are not gaining any bulk from the incline, then don't be too concerned, but know that it is a possibility.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2006, 07:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

I have used the incline a lot and I never noticed my legs getting larger.. they did get muscle but they were still thin and lean... not bulky! I'm sure it all depends on the person. I wouldn't push myself either. I would do about a 10 incline but I would walk so it wasn't difficult at all! I don't use the incline anymore b/c I have been jogging and I don't think I'm in good enough shape again to use the incline AND run (haha). My leg size hasn't really changed.

Old 01-09-2006, 02:17 PM   #4
(female)

lehara HB User

Today at the gym I tried the jogging at no incline vs. my usual routine of speed walking at max. incline, and I did not have much luck. Maybe I am just not a runner? I started out walking at 3.6, then up to 4 and started jogging (slowly) at 4.4 which I then tried building up to 4.6. Well, I could not even jog for 15 minutes straight. Is running really that hard? I proceeded to run at intervals (4 min. run - 4 min walk) but at the end of my hour I had only burned 400 calories vs. my usual 550 walking at incline 12 at speed 3.4. Was totally exhaused when I got off the treadmill. I felt like I had never worked out in my life, but I have been going to the gym consistently for over a year now, and thought I was in reasonable shape! I go at least 5 times a week, and always do one hour cardio sessions. Well, I must be doing something wrong. Can anyone be a runner? And how come everytime I run my face turns bright red and stays that way even 20 minutes after my workout???

Old 01-09-2006, 03:52 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I'm a jogger but I just cannot run on a treadmill...I just cannot handle the bounce and it wears me out completely. I just run outside or on the track. If my only choice is a treadmill, I walk on it. Have no idea why it's that way with me but it is. And I jog 4 times a week, 2-3 miles...but outside only.

Old 01-09-2006, 05:15 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

It actually is that hard. You need to build up to running. The best way is to run in intervals, meaning to start you can run for 3 minutes, walk for 2. Weekly you increase running time and decrease walking time until you're "a runner". Keeping at it for just a few months you can make remarkable progress. This is exactly why trainers avoid forcing clients to run - it can be very discouraging at first. But it's a very rewarding journey.

Closed Thread