It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2006, 05:31 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User
Question free form amino acid complexes- essential when taking individual amino acid?

isit essential to take a free form amino acid complex along side individual amino acids? i take glutamine powder, but read on a website that taking it by itsaelf may cause an inbalance of amino acids in my body, so they recommend taking free form aminos with it. when it says run the risk does that mean for those who do not get enough protein in their diets ( i.e. a source of amino acids)? so if my diet has enough good qualioty protein in it and i take an egg white powder, can i get away with not taking an amino acid complex with the glutamine and save myself a bit of money?

alex.

Old 01-12-2006, 07:40 AM   #2
(male)

dand5 HB User
Re: free form amino acid complexes- essential when taking individual amino acid?

I don't know for sure, but I doubt the sales department that developed that website you read does either. I always thought that excess amino acids were removed by the kidneys or in some cases converted to fat. So you might be wasting glutamine if you don't buy the complexes. But more likely, you get all the amino acids you need from egg whites and other things in your diet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2006, 09:00 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User
Re: free form amino acid complexes- essential when taking individual amino acid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dand5
I don't know for sure, but I doubt the sales department that developed that website you read does either. I always thought that excess amino acids were removed by the kidneys or in some cases converted to fat. So you might be wasting glutamine if you don't buy the complexes. But more likely, you get all the amino acids you need from egg whites and other things in your diet.
i know that this is the exercise and fitness board, but i'm asking about glutamine for another reason (i just asked on here because i've asked on the vtamins and supplements boards already but got no definitive answer). the reason i take it is to enhance brain power as i'm a student. glutamine is converted into glutamic acid, which serves as a brain fuel and also helps to mop up excess ammonia in the brain which can hinder higher brain function. i've found it does help me alot but the best way to take it is on an empty stomach away from other protein (i take it first thing in the morning). if you take it with a meal or with milk it just gets "lost" in the other protein and is used for protein synthethis. taking the glutamine by itself ensures that the majority of the glutamine is used for the therapeutic purpose i mention (and others like maintenance of the intestinal tract) rather than for protein synthethis. conversely, the majority of the glutamine found in protein rich foods is used for protein synthethis, rather than for brain fuel. this is why i need to take it in its free form amino acid state, but am still worried about causing an imbalance.

alex.

Old 01-12-2006, 11:27 AM   #4
(male)

dand5 HB User

That's interesting. Do you take the supplements before exams or daily? And what sort of brain enhancements do you get, as in do you recall information more easily, or have more ease in problem solving (i.e. math, physics, etc.), or both?

Just curious,
Thanks

Old 01-13-2006, 05:22 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dand5
That's interesting. Do you take the supplements before exams or daily? And what sort of brain enhancements do you get, as in do you recall information more easily, or have more ease in problem solving (i.e. math, physics, etc.), or both?

Just curious,
Thanks
it helps with recalling facts (i also take choline for this- it increases levels of a neurotransmitter called acetyl-choline in the brain linked to memory) but also seems to enhance ny general IQ. i've noticed that on the occasions i have taken glutamine i seem to be able to work out the meaning of compicated journals or theories btter than when i don't. i read about the stuff in a book by Earl Mindell called The Vitamin Bible. studies have shown glutamine can raise the IQ of even mentally retared children. the individual amino acids are amazing. check em out. lysine for cold sores, glycine for hypoclaecemia, tyrosine for mental alertness, carnitine for fat burning etc, etc

alex.

Old 01-13-2006, 09:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

As long as you don't take the glutamine (or other free aminos) with protein foods or shakes, I don't think there is a significant imbalance. As long as you are gettinng enough overall protein with a good balance of essential amino acids, you should not have any issues. Just take the supplements between meals so they don't compete for utilization with the aminos in your food. When strictly dieting or fighing illness, I dump 20-25g of glutamine into a water bottle with sugar free Kool Ade and sip on it throughout the day between meals and snacks.

Old 01-20-2006, 09:17 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

thanks naxis. thats cleared up. my mind is at rest now.

alex.

Closed Thread