It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2006, 09:15 AM   #1
(female)

MikaelasMommy HB User
Question Question about my exercise and diet plan

I do cardio at least 5 times a week and I wanted to start my weightlifting, but I'm a little confused. I was going to lift weights at least 3 days a week. Probably on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Can someone please tell me what exercises to do? I know I don't need to work the same muscles every day. I need to alternate, right? And how long should I work out for? I usually do 30 minutes on my glider or if I walk outside, it's sometimes for an hour. I'm consuming around 1500 calories a day or less. I'm low carbing too. (NOT Atkins) I'm doing my own version of low carbing. I've mainly cut out the "bad" carbs. I'm not eating sweets nor am I eating bread. I'm needing to lose around 40 lbs. Besides my first question, does this sound ok? Should I see results? I'd really like to reach my goal by May.

Thanks,
MikaelasMommy

Old 01-14-2006, 09:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Question about my exercise and diet plan

For lifting 3 days a week, and for your goals, you should aim for a full body workout each time. As long as you have that day in between strength training sessions, you're getting plenty of recovery time.
Ideally, doing 1 or 2 exercises per muscle group, 3 to 4 sets per exercise, and 10 to 12 reps per set. If you use big, compound exercises like presses and flyes for chest, rows and pullups for back, and squats and lunges for legs then you don't have to work each small muscle on its own (meaning that you won't have to work biceps, triceps or each leg muscle seperately because you will be working the sufficiently in the compound movement).
To start, use dumbell presses, bent over rows, and lunges (weighted if you feel you're strong enough, without weights if you want to start a little slower). 3 sets of each using a weight that you can do 10 to 12 reps with should be enough to start getting conditioned and tone that lean muscle. Just make sure the last couple of reps are a struggle. If you can easily do 10 - 12 reps, then it's not doing you much good. Don't be afraid to use more weight if you're able. If you want a longer workout, add a set on to each exercise and once in a while use a different exercise to keep some variety in your program.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread