It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2006, 05:26 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User
why are you always hungry when you lift weights

I am hoping for some answers on this one so I can explain it to my sister, I know when I am lifting weights I am always hungry and have to watch what I eat very closely or I will put on fat as it seem I do anyway while lifting weights. Why when lifting weights do you tend to put on fat as well and have a constant appetite it almost seems counter productive.

Old 01-14-2006, 07:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

OutToLunch HB User
Re: why are you always hungry when you lift weights

What's your preworkout meal and how long before your weight training session do you have it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2006, 08:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Lifting increases metabolism. As your body builds new muscle mass, it's utilizing more calories, although the consistent hunger is kind of a caveman-survival overkill sensation that tends to do the modern human more harm than good since food isn't exactly scarce anymore. This is a big part of the reason why eating smaller meals every couple of hours is extremely conducive for the fitness lifestyle. If you don't get a chance to become really hungry, you're less likely to binge or turn to the nearest bit of junk or fast food to satisfy hunger. Timing meals right makes a big, big difference.
Most people gain fat while bulking (building muscle) because in order to gain muscle mass, you need a calorie surplus. If you get loose on content or portion size, you gain more fat than you want. Eating clean and eating only what you need will also help prevent fat gain.

Old 01-15-2006, 05:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User

Thanks for the posts, I know with me I will gain a bit of fat and then after about a month I might weigh a pound or two more but I am really firm and strong. Now my sister is having a problem with hunger she wants to eat all the time and she feel she is at a constant struggle with herself and her food. She has seen me transform from a skinny 110 pound stick to a 116 pound strong lean body and that is what she wants but she is having the most difficult time. There was a definate marked hunger for her when she switched from yoga to weights, with yoga (as I use to do this as my form of body toning as well) I never felt hungy or gained weight either but I was extremely weak and thin. I tried explaining to her,that after time it will change and her body will adjust but she is just having a hard time putting on weight and her clothes don't fit. She is eating super clean but mabie she is eating too much, she wants to pack it in and just go back to her yoga it's her choice but I wish she would give it a chance. How long does it usually take for you body to adjust to the extra work load? Somtimes it is harder on a person that is small to begin with that hasn't gained a pound in 7 years having to add calories and be hungry all the time I guess it just takes time. Oh I forgot to say that before when she was doing yoga she ate about 1500 calories, now she eats 1800, she sees a trainer and works out 3x a week with weights and 5 days of cardio for 40 min. Any more advice for me to tell her would be great.

Old 01-15-2006, 09:10 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Only 300 additional calories... is she gaining fat or just hungrier? With that that work load, she should definitely be able to eat more than before without gaining fat. If she is already eating small meals every 2-3 hours, is drinking enough water (which will help to feel fuller), and is _still_ hungry, she needs to change her food choices and go for more fibrous foods: steel cut oats, broccoli, cauliflower, salads, vegetables, beans etc. They will keep her feeling fuller for longer.
There's no set time for how long it takes for someone to get by the 'hungry' phase. Some poeple don't get it at all and some people never get out of it. I know many people who always get hungry if they don't have their usual meal or snack every couple of hours. If she's really uncomfortable with how she feels while weight training, she may be creating a body image she doesn't like as a result of the new regimen. The weight training is of course adding weight, but if she hasn't given her routine a chance to get into more fat burning, she hasn't started feeling leaner in addition to the new muscle, and that can be a very frustrating start - in addition to being hungry. If she is doing all those things and it is not helping, or if she isn't willing to make the changes, maybe it's just not a routine that suits her. It happens. I agree with you that it is much healthier, especially for women with the threat of osteoporosis later in life, but if it makes her unhappy, it may not be worth it in the long run.

Old 01-15-2006, 02:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User

Thanks Naxis, I agree as well if she isn't going to be happy then it might not be worth if for her. Her biggest thing was not being able to eat like she use to which was still very healthy almost vegetarian very healthy, but she missed her carbs and the occasional piece of apple pie. I hope she will stick with it but if not it is her choice.Thanks

Old 01-23-2006, 05:54 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User

Naxis just an update, my sister gave up on her weight lifting and healthy eating recently. She tried to add more fiber to her diet by eating more grain and veggies and fruit but she couldn't get over the scale going the other way and the funny thing was she was getting thinner well more defined and her upper thighs started to lose some fat.People were commenting on her and her nice shape. She just decide that the scale was to much of and influence on her and gave it all up. She went back to yoga and I think she did a crash diet because she lost about 6 pounds in one week and now she is about 108 and a stick but that is her choice. You know the funny thing is after three weeks the change in her was just amazing she is tired and a funny color, and very moody. I do weigh about 8 pounds more than her but am 2 sizes smaller and full of energy and I am 4 months pregnant. Strength training is worth the first few weeks for your body to adjust for the benefits it gives what an amazing way of life.

Old 01-23-2006, 07:51 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

I agree completely, but unfortunately we've been socially programmed to obsess about the numbers on the scale. It gives me hope that some women are starting get over it and onto a healthier lifestyle. I hope the pregnancy continues going smoothly.

Old 01-23-2006, 02:18 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User

It is amazing what society does to people to make them think they need to be thinner than thin. I know for me I am thinner now than I have ever been but I am full of lean muscle and feel great about it. I do change exercises but always come back to my weights nothing gives me the results quite like it. Thanks for the pregnancy support Naxis, everything is going great.

Closed Thread