It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2006, 02:16 PM   #1

brucen32 HB User
Why is mayonnaise so bad?

Here's the nutritional content from my mayonnaise:

per tbsp: 100 cal.

Fats 11g
Saturated 1.5 g
trans 0
Polyunsat 6g (Omega 6 5g, Omega 3 0.7g)
Monounsat 2.5g
Cholesterol 5mg, Sodium 70mg

Seems like the majority of fats are unsaturated so how is this different for exmaple from peanuts? Aren't unsaturated fats good in general? And it also has some of the Omegas, albeit very little of the important Omega 3.

So why is this so bad? Low fat mayonnaise mostly replaces the fats with carbohydrate (I'm guessing simple ones).

Old 01-23-2006, 08:14 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Berner HB User
Re: Why is mayonnaise so bad?

The reason why you'll see people express caution about mayonnaise and weight loss relates primarily to portion size. One tablespoon of mayonnaise is a very small portion, and I suspect that its very easy for people to exceed reasonable portion sizes without realizing their error.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2006, 05:52 AM   #3
(male)

~TAZ~ HB User

That is what I was going to say, it's the portion size but in all honestly, one little tbsp and in that 11g of fat, that's not that healthy to begin with.

Old 01-24-2006, 06:21 AM   #4

brucen32 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~TAZ~
That is what I was going to say, it's the portion size but in all honestly, one little tbsp and in that 11g of fat, that's not that healthy to begin with.
But why is that unhealthy if most of the fats are not saturated or trans? Nuts and fish oil are very fatty too.

Old 01-24-2006, 06:42 AM   #5
(male)

~TAZ~ HB User

Basically because the fat in mayonnaise is a processed fat, that's why it's unhealthy. There are some examples below that I found on the net (for comparison to your original question).

Unhealthy Fats

What?
All saturated fat - solid fat from land animal products
All processed fats/oils - cooking oils, margarine, hydrogenated fat
All fats exposed to high temperature - fried, deep fried foods
Tropical oils - coconut, palm oils.

Why ?
They make you fat
They make you tired
The shut off fat burning
They cause heart disease, strokes, cancer

Examples:
Anything fried
Butter
Lard
Margarine (of any kind)
Mayonnaise
Salad dressings (Ranch, blue cheese etc)
All cream sauces: Alfredo, Bernaise, Hollandaise
Hot dogs
Lunch meats and all processed meats
All commercially raised red meats
Regular whole eggs (free range are good)
Regular cheese
Whole dairy products (milk, sour cream, cream)
Low fat dairy products (2% milk = 37% fat)
All processed oils (Canola oil, on-shelf vegetable oils)
All roasted nuts and roasted seeds
All peanut butter
Gravy

Old 01-24-2006, 11:34 AM   #6

brucen32 HB User

Thanks for the post. But I also noticed on the list that there are peanuts and nut butters which are highly touted by health experts. Also, I wonder what "processing" actually does to the chemical stucture of these fats.

Old 01-24-2006, 11:48 AM   #7
(male)

~TAZ~ HB User

I honestly don't know to much about the specifics. To be honest, what 'really' is good for you these days???

Diet plans are so 'varying' that it's hard to really know what you should and shouldn't have. Some say 'apples' are perfect for a intake plan, others say you should STAY AWAY from them as well as other things like corn because they have a very high sugar content and don't 'break' down properly in the body. Seems everyone has a varying opinion on what is deemed 'healthy' and 'ok' to eat.... honestly there are some things that come up time to time that are recommended by many of the different plans so I stick with them. Things like cottage cheese for example, seems to be on most of the 'lists'.

I just watch the 'fat amounts' in everything I eat and eat sensible the whole time and that is what 'seems' to be working the best for me.

Old 01-24-2006, 11:49 AM   #8
(male)

~TAZ~ HB User

As far as the 'processing' as far as I feel, as soon as something is 'processed' it's a sign that you should watch what you are eating (in general). Not all processed food is bad but alot is. Think of it as a 'warning flag' in a way....

Old 01-24-2006, 02:53 PM   #9
(male)

ChristopherLee HB User

Hellmans light is half the fat and tastes just as good. Just a heads up to help cheat a bit

Old 01-24-2006, 03:28 PM   #10
(male)

Vitagen HB User

mayo-fato.
Salad Dressing-Salad Fatsing (Low fat italian or Olive Oil... Thousand Island is very fatty)

I use Mustard on my sandwiches, because it adds a good amount of taste without all the fat cals. I suggest that for people who are looking to lean up exercising and eating lots of healthy food.

Last edited by Vitagen; 01-24-2006 at 03:29 PM.

Old 01-24-2006, 04:20 PM   #11
(male)

ChristopherLee HB User

What about ketchup?
For salad dressing I use a Light peppercorn ranch.

Old 01-25-2006, 06:17 AM   #12
(male)

~TAZ~ HB User

Ketchup is low in calories (around 15-20 calories per heaping tsp) but ketchup for the most part is high in sugar and average in sodium. There are alternatives but you do have to be reasonable and go easy. If your dumping a cup of ketchup on your food, that's a bad thing but what wouldn't be.

Mustard is extremely low in calories (around 3-5 calories per heaping tsp). It does have a very very small amount of total fat but nothing significant. Mustard also contains about 1/4 the amount of sodium compares to ketchup.

Old 01-25-2006, 04:03 PM   #13
(female)

FoodAddictee HB User

miracle whip light is only 20 calories per tablespoon and ketchup is only 10m calories a packet

Closed Thread