It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2006, 09:19 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

theillone HB User
How long should you rest your muscles after hard weightlifting workout???

I was wondering how long should you rest your muscles after a hard weight lifting session? after you feel the pump going through your muscles, how long should you rest them before you start to lift and teart the muscles again? And how long does it usually take to physically see that your muscles(chest, biceps, triceps, back) has gotten bigger and stronger? should it be the day after your workout you physically see your muscles gotten bigger? or should it be longer? if longer how much longer? THank U!!!!

Old 02-01-2006, 09:26 AM   #2
(male)

~TAZ~ HB User
Re: How long should you rest your muscles after hard weightlifting workout???

If your training properly, 24 hours is what is most recommended or 'one day' off.....

If you injure yourself, much more, until the pain goes away and sometimes longer.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2006, 09:31 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

theillone HB User

But how long before I physically see my muscles has gotten bigger?

Old 02-01-2006, 09:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

That depends on genetics, diet, how heavy you're lifting, how often, form... too many variables to say.

Old 02-01-2006, 10:48 AM   #5
(male)

DMN HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naxis
That depends on genetics, diet, how heavy you're lifting, how often, form... too many variables to say.
Yup!

I do back, shoulders, arms, and chest twice a week.

I do legs only once per week, because it is a much more intensive workout. I squat heavy enough so I want to lose lunch (so to speak). One or two days off from that would be counterproductive.

John

Old 02-02-2006, 11:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by theillone
I was wondering how long should you rest your muscles after a hard weight lifting session? after you feel the pump going through your muscles, how long should you rest them before you start to lift and teart the muscles again? And how long does it usually take to physically see that your muscles(chest, biceps, triceps, back) has gotten bigger and stronger? should it be the day after your workout you physically see your muscles gotten bigger? or should it be longer? if longer how much longer? THank U!!!!
I wish you could see your muscles getting bigger the next day after a workout! That definitely depends on your genetics, diet, and type of training like Naxis said. However, if you are training with the sole purpose of building muscle as fast as possibe you do not want to train any muscle twice a week. Muscle grows when you make it grow. This is achieved by OVERLOADING the muscle not simply banging out reps until you feel the burn or a pump. Both of which are symptoms of muscle fatigue, not overload. Believe me there is a huge difference. You achieve overload by training with heavy weights, 4-6 reps and training to positive failure. Training only one major muscle group per day and per week, 5 days a week. After you have achieved overload then you need to let your muscles rest and feed them properly throughout the week and they will grow!

Closed Thread