It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2006, 06:53 AM   #1
(female)

tertree HB User
bikini body by june is not making progress HELP

Im 42, i had a hysterectomy at 35 my metabolism slowed way down after that and over the years i have gained weight. I am 5'3 and weigh 150 (pre surgery 125)
I have been excersising for the last 5 weeks 3 to 5 times a week. I walk the treadmill 30 minutes then lift weights for 30. I have also started walking 8 miles (in 2.5 hours) once a week with a friend. I swim a couple times a week after work outs.
I watch what i eat but i have not lost one pound! its not unusual for me to gain 5 to 7 lbs n water wieght over night either! I really have to watch the salt.
What am i doing wrong? how can i kick it in gear? I have a new outfit and month long vacation on the beach riding on this! (bet with boyfriend for motivation)
any help please!!!!
20 to 25 lbs is all that needs to go! heck on me 10 lbs makes a big difference!

Old 03-20-2006, 08:16 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Willapp HB User
Re: bikini body by june is not making progress HELP

It sounds to me like your exercise program is fine. Probably what has happened so far is that the weight you were carrying as fat has now been replaced by muscle. Remember this is heavier than fat, which is why many people don't lose weight straight away after starting exercise - some even gain a few pounds first!

When you say you "watch what you eat", how closely are you watching? Doing more exercise it is natural to start eating more without really realising it - if you're serious about making progress then it's worth getting technical about what you're eating. Write down what you eat each day and calculate how many calories you're eating. Try to reduce this gradually and you should definitely start losing some pounds. Also make sure you're eating the 'right' stuff - many people think they eat healthy foods but would actually be suprised at how unhealthy some things can be! There are loads of nutritional websites around that can tell you the good from the bad.

Good luck and keep at it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2006, 08:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

First, do your weights before you do your cardio. Your weight training (if sufficiently challenging) will burn your body's glycogen and will help your body to use more fat for fuel when you get to your cardio exercise. Next, increase the intensity on the treadmill for your cardio. Either jog, or make it a faster walk, or increase the incline. Your body adapts to your level of fitness and if you don't continue to present a challenge, you will see no progress.
Also diet may still be causing problems. There are any number of culprits that can stall fat loss even if you are making an effort to eat healthfully. Not getting *enough* of some nutrients can hurt your efforts. If you can, post an example day of your current diet: food, portion size, time eaten and any condiments and beverages.

Last edited by Naxis; 03-20-2006 at 08:21 AM.

Old 03-20-2006, 09:28 AM   #4
(female)

tertree HB User

yesturday,
breakfast 2 slices cinnamon and rasin bread 190 calories for 2 < 8ish
lunch was 2 slices of hamburger bun topped with pizza sauce and cheddar cheese 11ish
treadmill at 4 pm 30 minutes fat burning no weights followed by a slice of raisin bread
dinner was stir fry chicken, rice 7pm
i usually munch on almonds thru out the day and i had 1/2 a slim fast snack bar <yuck lol
sometimes fruit like an apple is a snack sometimes i eat the rasin bread or blue berry bread as a snack as well im addicted to bread
water or flavored water through out the day plus one soda with dinner
so far today its been 2 sclices of the raisin bread 9 am
1 egg/cheese/ham omlet 11 am
dinner will be hamburger (bun)and a veggie 6ish
almonds will be the snack thruout the day
as far as the weights go someone suggested more weights less reps 4 to 6 i tried that week before last and hurt my back lol so i went back to less weights and reps of 10 to 12 stomach i do 20
I am hungrier then normal. i try to avoid salt because while im walking the trails my fingers will swell if i have had any salt so i really stay away from that rarely use condiments.
i thinks thats it for yesturday
i will start today writing it down see if i am eating too much and not realizing it.

Old 03-20-2006, 09:44 AM   #5
(female)

lazedays HB User

sound like alot of refined carbs. also, check the sugar content on that raisin bread!!! I understand the "need" for breads, but make then whole grain ones. shop for bread with the most amount of fiber. I think you also need to up your veggie's and fruits!! it looks like the only time you get veggies are with dinner. If you eat more fruits and veggies they will help supply much needed water. Are you drinking enough water???? I always walk around with a water bottle, this remind me to keep drinking.

Old 03-20-2006, 10:12 AM   #6
(female)

tertree HB User

the raisin bread and blueberry bread i buy is whole wheat and high in fiber. i was eating alot of veggies several a day and thought that might have been the problem i am a huge fruit eater but backed off a week ago thinkng it was hindering the process.
this time of year i do not eat alot of veggies except at dinner time unless im eating a veggie sub for lunch which happens sometimes lol
i probably drink a couple bottles of water a day i just cannot force myself to drink more and honestly that is alot for me!

Old 03-20-2006, 12:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Off the top of my head, I'd say WAY too much bread, way too little protein. You have to cut or at least curb the bread addiction. It will absolutely cause you problems. Most breads, even the ones with highER fiber, are still very high GI and cause insulin spikes which lead to fat gain as well as perpetuating the cravings. I'd challenge you to cut bread altogether for a whole week. It will get your blood sugar on an even keel and give you a chance to make better dietary habits; get used to having something other than bread for a bit. Then if you MUST have bread, a single slice in the morning with maybe a hard boiled egg would still be okay because you will have some time to burn it off. Consider it a treat instead of a staple.
A good veggie and spinach salad with fish or chicken would be an infinitely better meal than bread, sauce and cheese. The bread meal has very little nutritional value at all. The key is really to get as much nutrition as you can. If your body has proper materials, it can use them and will not resort to storage (fat). You also have almost no protein in your diet and that will hinder fat loss because you cannot build or maintain lean muscle without sufficient protein. And less lean muscle means lower metabolism. It's a vicious cycle to get into. If you can, try to include at least one item with lean proten in every meal. Eggs, tuna, salmon, chicken or turkey breast, cottage cheese, natural yoghurt... a little of any of those.
Also, I don't know how many nuts you eat for snacks, but on your example day (not counting nuts) you're *barely* hitting 1000 calories. You are not eating enough. Eating too little is actually worse than eating too much because this also slows metabolism and starts a starvation response which basically causes your body to eat up lean muscle mass and actually *hang onto fat*. You need to be eating at least 1400 to 1500 calories a day, especially for all the exercising you do. When you start journaling starting today, make note of the calories you're actually getting in, in case I'm way off. I promise you that if you fix your diet content, and eat a little more you will start to see progress.
As far as retaining water, of course watching sodium helps but also try drinking about 2 litres of water a day. It will encourage your body to continuously flush rather than retain water - I hike a lot too, I know exactly how you feel.
As for your weights, I'd still recommend doing them before your cardio. A 10 to 12 rep range is just fine. No need at all to go higher weight, lower rep. Diet is going to be your biggest hurdle, but once you make some changes, your body will definitely respond.

Old 03-20-2006, 01:59 PM   #8
(male)

Belles150 HB User

The more weight training you do the higher your metabolism will be for the next 24 hours or longer, so go a little longer with the weights maybe.

Old 03-20-2006, 03:14 PM   #9
(female)

tertree HB User

No Bread? lol ok i can do it lol i really want to go to the beach lol my diet varies alot day to day i may eat yogurt every day for a couple weeks then go off it for a bit i get burned out on foods pretty easliy after just a couple weeks, i love salads, im not a big tuna lover at all but i can do the boiled eggs but its only the yolk, hate the white.
would eating something every 3 hours help? thank you naxis you have been a great help? will you come live with me while i go thru bread withdrawals lol joking.....

Old 03-20-2006, 04:16 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Don't eat only the yolk. That's all the fat and only half the protein of an egg. Try a little spicy mustard on it (low sodium and tasty). Makes it much better. Or get a carton of egg substituite for omelettes and scrambles. No fat and all the protein.

And yes, eating small meals every 3 hours will help. If you take the total calories you need for the day and divide them fairly evenly into every meal, it will keep metabolism higher as well as providing nutrients all day long. If you get bread-withdrawal shakes, you have a support group right here. The first two days are the hardest. Then it gets easier. Honest.

Salads made with spinach and colorful veggies (peppers, carrots, tomatoes, cauliflower, olives, cucumbers, onions, broccoli) are GREAT nutrition, filling, and low cal. If you don't like tuna, maybe some chicken breast will cover some of the protein on there. Or a side of cottage cheese, or some steamed salmon, or even Boca Burgers or tofu. And definitely keep some variety so you don't burn out. Try to maybe have the same menu every monday and then a different one every tuesday, etc. Cycling through healthy meals might help keep you from hating them before you get anywhere. Good luck, and please do let me know what your calorie count for a day comes out to. Cheers!

Old 03-22-2006, 05:40 AM   #11
(female)

tertree HB User

my foods for yesturday was
apple crisp oats 150
1 1/2 c. romain salas 15
6 grape tomatoes 31
1/2 c. low fat cottage cheese 90
3 tbs balsmic vingarette dressing 42
1 apple 65
1/2 c. almonds 210
3/4 oz cheese 75
stir fry chicken 1 c. 150? probably didnt eat that much actually
1 slice raisen cinnamin bread < 80 only one!!!
1 soda 150
2 bottles water
total 1058
this was everything i ate yesturday to the T so i guess your right i'm not eating enough

Last edited by tertree; 03-22-2006 at 05:41 AM.

Old 03-22-2006, 07:43 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Looks better (way to go minimizing the bread ), but I'd still try to get some more lean protein in there to cover some of the calories you need. If you just don't like meats and eggs and such, maybe a protein shake would be an easy way for you to get the extra calories and the protein you need. Whey is rather inexpensive and makes a very convenient snack of protein. If you make the shakes right, they can be a tasty treat. Maybe in addition to your morning oats to give you more calories earlier in the day. Anyway, just a suggestion. Looks like you're on the right track.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:35 PM   #13
(female)

tertree HB User

ok thank you so much and it really hasnt been that bad with out the bread!

Closed Thread