It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2006, 10:00 AM   #1
(female)

Justarookiegirl HB User
Smile I need everyones help please

I realize that its probably terribly annoying when people come on and do this, but I am brand new at working out. I just got a gym membership and need a little assisstance.

My First question is... While at the gym, what are the best things to do that will help me slim down my thighs etc, and then add muscle?

2nd is what are the best things for me to eat in order help with losing body fat?

If anyone has any additional information that is outside of my questions that they think would help I would appreciate it...

Jenny

Old 03-24-2006, 10:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: I need everyones help please

Start with 30 minutes of weights/machines, hitting all the major muscle groups. This will increase muscle tone and lean muscle which will increase metabolism, which will help your body to burn fat more efficiently. Then follow that up with about 30 minutes of cardio - either jogging, eliptical machine, biking, or even just brisk walking depending on your ability. Just get heart rate up and keep it high for 30 minutes. It will burn more calories and fat.

As for diet, check this thread for some fat loss basics: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=297286

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2006, 07:09 AM   #3
(female)

Justarookiegirl HB User
Exclamation Re: I need everyones help please

I have another question. I have a gym buddy that I go to the gym with. She would rather work out for a whopping 3 hours, doing weight training, 10 minuets of cardio and then switching back and forth, her workout plan isn't a plan and its all over the place. Plus that and shes still filling her face with empty calories like McDonalds etc. She also keeps telling me that shes going to be going to the gym like everyday... which to me seems a little excessive, I am saying maybe 4 days a week....

I went to the gym last night and did about 45 Minuets of weight training and a full 35 Minuet cardio workout.... while she did her back and forth regime... and ended up calling me a wuss when I wanted to leave after more than an hour.

I am eating less calories than I'm burning as far as I know, and I am drinking lots of water.

Does she have a point? Am I doing this wrong? Or what?!

Old 03-25-2006, 08:00 AM   #4
(female)

lazedays HB User

Absolutly Not!!! You have the right idea! Your friend is way off and you can tell her that everybody on this health board will agree that your plan is the right one, the one that will work. Why does she feel that she has to workout for 3 hours??? If sh'e stop eating that crap and streemlined her workout to 1 hour 30 min tops, she'd get true results. maybe you should tell her that the "rookie" has the right plan.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!

Old 03-25-2006, 09:54 AM   #5
(female)

Justarookiegirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazedays
Absolutly Not!!! You have the right idea! Your friend is way off and you can tell her that everybody on this health board will agree that your plan is the right one, the one that will work. Why does she feel that she has to workout for 3 hours??? If sh'e stop eating that crap and streemlined her workout to 1 hour 30 min tops, she'd get true results. maybe you should tell her that the "rookie" has the right plan.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!
Thank you I greatly appreciate that, I was sure that I was right, I dont want to over exert myself and then not be able to go for weeks. It just doesnt work like that!

Old 03-25-2006, 03:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

How many calories are you eating? What are your current stats (height/weight)?

Old 03-25-2006, 06:04 PM   #7
(female)

Justarookiegirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naxis
How many calories are you eating? What are your current stats (height/weight)?
I have adjusted my calorie intake to 1573, and I am 5'8 and 138lbs.

Last edited by Justarookiegirl; 03-25-2006 at 06:04 PM.

Old 03-25-2006, 06:34 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Perfect. You're definitely on the right track. Good luck.

Closed Thread