It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
(female)

lazedays HB User
walking after a meal

Is it ok to walk directly after dinner? I don't want to sit down for atleast an hour after eating, so I thought about walking. Is it ok to walk on a treadmill right after dinner if the weather's bad? I'm not talking about a fast walk, just a 2.5 to 3.0 mph walk. Spring is coming, and I want to get fresh air and not feed into the lazy afterdinner sit down slump, if I should wait awhile how long???

Old 03-26-2006, 04:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: walking after a meal

No reason not to, so long as you don't feel cramped or nauseous.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2006, 07:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazedays
Is it ok to walk directly after dinner? I don't want to sit down for atleast an hour after eating, so I thought about walking. Is it ok to walk on a treadmill right after dinner if the weather's bad? I'm not talking about a fast walk, just a 2.5 to 3.0 mph walk. Spring is coming, and I want to get fresh air and not feed into the lazy afterdinner sit down slump, if I should wait awhile how long???
Walking is great exercise that doesn't feel like exercise when done outdoors, perhaps chatting with a friend or just looking at scenery. You can walk anytime at all, as long as you feel well doing it. If you walk briskly, and follow a good diet you will probably lose weight as well.

Old 03-26-2006, 07:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazedays
If you can't wait, then by all means exercise when you can. Ideally you don't want to exercise after you eat because it will interfere with digestion and that is never a good thing!

Old 03-26-2006, 07:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOT26
If you can't wait, then by all means exercise when you can. Ideally you don't want to exercise after you eat because it will interfere with digestion and that is never a good thing!
Strenuous exercise may interfere with digestion. Walking won't. In fact, it amy help. Sitting on a couch after a meal is not the greatest alternative. Walking is the best all around exercise for health and weight control. In fact, Eropeans don't gain weight in part because they walk everywhere (to shop, to work, for fun). Gyms are a rarity in Paris and when they do open, they are soon out of business, yet French women are not fat at all, just the opposite even though they don't deny themselves great food.

Last edited by rita; 03-26-2006 at 07:37 PM.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:56 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Willapp HB User

Quote:
Walking is the best all around exercise for health and weight control...
How did you come up with that?

I'm not saying walking is bad, beacuse of course it isn't, but there are many better exercises for health and weight control, if we're talking about getting the best results and in the least time. Running, swimming etc all provide a more 'intense' workout for your body that far exceed what walking will do.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:16 AM   #7
(female)

lazedays HB User
Thumbs up Re: walking after a meal

Wow!!! I go to bed with just my post, and have many reply's when I wake up!! To the las person who responded, I workout everymoning mo thru fri for 20 to 30 min before work. I usuall do a interval treadmill workout, everyother day, a weighted workout on the ball, and on weekends I do other 1 hour cardio, I love to do all kinds, Kickboxing, step, pilates, yoga dance arobics. I'm well coordinated so I can usually do all types. I kinda felt like I ate a bit to much last night, and dreaded sitting down, So I said to myself, why not walk? I'ts good for the heart, and legs. I just didn't want to over do thing right after eating. I'm thinking about walking on my work breaks this week, temps in the 50's and sun. I also push wheel chaired peolpe and we will be going on walks at school for them. Being cooped up all winter has got me wanting to get out and walk!!!!

Thanks guys and gals your all so wonderfull!!!

Old 03-27-2006, 06:54 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willapp
How did you come up with that?

I'm not saying walking is bad, beacuse of course it isn't, but there are many better exercises for health and weight control, if we're talking about getting the best results and in the least time. Running, swimming etc all provide a more 'intense' workout for your body that far exceed what walking will do.
How I came up with that, you ask? It's easy. It's been proven by thousands of years of experience (before invention of gyms). Perhaps, though, I should not have called walking "exercise". To many people that implies "work", something most people try to avoid. What I should have said instead is that walking is the best activity for weight control (together with the "push- away" which is a little maneuver we all need to learn involving pushing oneself away from the table before one becomes stuffed). When we eat right and walk a lot, it's almost impossible to gain weight. Yes, running as well as most other exercise is far more intense (so that it becomes "work") but walking is safer and yields good results over time.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:40 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

I know exactly what you are talking about with the French women its called the "French Paradox". However, the main reason why they have a lower obesity rate (just around 11% compared to over 50% in the U.S) is because they simply eat less. Yes, they consume high amouts of quote unquote unhealthy foods (especially the french) but their portion sizes are much smaller, and their entire approach to food is different. The key to their leaness is their diet not the amount they walk. No amount of exercise can combat a poor diet. Casual activity such as walking around the house or the yard will help digestion. By scheduleing regimented workouts, which is what she is doing, immediatly after you eat will interfere with digestion. If you only walk a half mile or a mile fine. But the exercise benefit to that is very minimal. If she is walking 2,3,4 miles at 2.5 to 3 miles per hour after she eats it will interfere with her digestion. All in all it is just not the best stratagy for overall health and exercise.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:34 PM   #10
(female)

lazedays HB User

I only walk 3/4 to a mile after dinner, and it's actually kinda leasurly for me, considering I do moderate to intense workouts in the morning. I know I should've stopped eating a few minutes sooner, haven't overeaten in eons. but the sauted onions and peppers were sooooo good and i had to have another pile of them. Better them then another turkey italian sausage!!!! I've read that instead of eating more while your conversing with family that you can go for an after dinner walk and chat. This is supposed to help get you away from the table. which is a huge problem with me, I'm done and my daughter (miss pokey) and my husband are still eating, I want to talk to them, but the food they're eating, and the food that is on the table is staring at me. Now mind you, I'm very good at ignoring that food, but thinking about an after dinner walk could insure that I won't touch that other food just because I still want to talk. Maybe it's time to move the whole family outside after dinner!!

oh, if it's raing or to cold out can I do the same small walk on the treadmill?

Old 03-27-2006, 02:23 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOT26
I know exactly what you are talking about with the French women its called the "French Paradox". However, the main reason why they have a lower obesity rate (just around 11% compared to over 50% in the U.S) is because they simply eat less. Yes, they consume high amouts of quote unquote unhealthy foods (especially the french) but their portion sizes are much smaller, and their entire approach to food is different. The key to their leaness is their diet not the amount they walk. No amount of exercise can combat a poor diet. Casual activity such as walking around the house or the yard will help digestion. By scheduleing regimented workouts, which is what she is doing, immediatly after you eat will interfere with digestion. If you only walk a half mile or a mile fine. But the exercise benefit to that is very minimal. If she is walking 2,3,4 miles at 2.5 to 3 miles per hour after she eats it will interfere with her digestion. All in all it is just not the best stratagy for overall health and exercise.
Yes. it is partly diet (for lack of a better word) but believe me, it has a LOT to do with the fact that most people other than Americans, walk,not ride cars to every destination, near or far. I know that from my own personal experience. Eating well, and in appropriate amounts and walking as much as possible or doing sports for fun, that's the best way to be healthy and look good.

Closed Thread