Originally Posted by rysta787
The thing is, I only drink diet soda? Does that make a significant difference?
Soda, regular or diet is not good for you. If you look at the list of ingredients in most soda pops, you will likely see most or all of these listed:
1. Carbonated water. As you know, our bodies require oxygen to remain healthy. For every can of carbonated soda ingested, the amount of oxygen in the blood is decreased by 25% for up to three hours. If you are drinking several sodas per day, you are depriving yourself for a significant amount of oxygen.
2. Phosphoric acid. Calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus must be maintained in the proper balance for bone health. When too much phosphorus is in the blood, calcium is leached from the bones, causing osteoporosis. Even in citrus sodas which contain citric acid instead of phosphoric acid, calcium is needed to normalize blood pH.
3. Caffeine and sugar. As far as caffeine and sugar are concerned, they both cause dehydration, and the massive depletion of minerals. When caffeine was added, calcium excretion in the urine increased by 25%. When sugar was added, urinary calcium loss almost doubled. Both caffeine and sugar also cause dehydration. Sugar in particular is destructive because its ingestion lowers immune function by reducing the ability of white blood cells to ingest and destroy bacteria. This lowered immune function can last for five hours or more after the ingestions of sugar.
4. Sucralose, also marketed as Splenda, breaks down into small amounts of 1, 6-dichlorofructose, a chemical similar to chlorinated pesticides. There has not been adequate testing of this product before it was released for public use, and many of the post-approval studies are alarming.
5. The use of NutraSweet can result in toxins in your body. Aspartame, or ***** Sweet, has an alarming health record. The ingredients in Aspartame are phenylalanine (50 percent), aspartic acid (40 percent) and methyl alcohol (10 percent). When you eat or drink something which contains Aspartame, your digestive systems begins to break it down. When the temperature reaches 86 degrees, methyl alcohol then breaks down to formaldehyde and then formic acid. So at that point you have five potent poisons in your system.
6. Acesulfame-k is a dangerous chemical.
7. The sodium benzoate in the soda is a preservative, which can cause food allergies.