It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2006, 10:58 AM   #1
(female)

rysta787 HB User
Does soda affect running?

I heard once that drinking soda (diet or regular) can have a negative effect on how well you run. Everytime I drink soda before a run, I cramp up pretty badly? Could soda cause this??

Old 04-07-2006, 02:03 PM   #2
(female)

cat3883 HB User
Re: Does soda affect running?

I would say yes since it is almost all sugar. I saw on TV yesterday that soda has benzene in it, which is known to cause cancer. The reporter says it has 4 times the amount of water. You might want to think about that before you take another sip. Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2006, 09:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rysta787
I heard once that drinking soda (diet or regular) can have a negative effect on how well you run. Everytime I drink soda before a run, I cramp up pretty badly? Could soda cause this??
I have two friends that are both sponsered competitive sprinters, they stay away from soda like it is the plague. It has no nutritional value and does nothing but promote fat storage and insulin resistance. Do not drink it before or after you run. Post running, gatorade is the only research tested beverage that is proven to help replenish blood glucose levels and hydration levels. I would stick with that.

Old 04-07-2006, 10:11 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Infinitum HB User

Ditto. I would personally just stay away from anything that contains high fructose corn syrup/corn syurp which is not good for insulin levels, promotes obesity and diabetes.

Last edited by Infinitum; 04-08-2006 at 08:27 AM.

Old 04-08-2006, 07:29 AM   #5
(female)

rysta787 HB User

The thing is, I only drink diet soda? Does that make a significant difference?

Old 04-08-2006, 08:35 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

it makes a difference in the fact that it has less sugar and won't cause a crazy insulin spikes. However, it is still very acidic and carbonated, both of which are things runners like to stay away from.

Old 04-08-2006, 02:04 PM   #7
(female)

rysta787 HB User

Interesting...why is that?

Old 04-08-2006, 11:55 PM   #8
(female)

2catfans HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rysta787
The thing is, I only drink diet soda? Does that make a significant difference?
Soda, regular or diet is not good for you. If you look at the list of ingredients in most soda pops, you will likely see most or all of these listed:

Caffeine
Carbonated water
Phosphoric acid
Sugar
Aspartame
Acesulfame-k
Sucralose

1. Carbonated water. As you know, our bodies require oxygen to remain healthy. For every can of carbonated soda ingested, the amount of oxygen in the blood is decreased by 25% for up to three hours. If you are drinking several sodas per day, you are depriving yourself for a significant amount of oxygen.
2. Phosphoric acid. Calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus must be maintained in the proper balance for bone health. When too much phosphorus is in the blood, calcium is leached from the bones, causing osteoporosis. Even in citrus sodas which contain citric acid instead of phosphoric acid, calcium is needed to normalize blood pH.
3. Caffeine and sugar. As far as caffeine and sugar are concerned, they both cause dehydration, and the massive depletion of minerals. When caffeine was added, calcium excretion in the urine increased by 25%. When sugar was added, urinary calcium loss almost doubled. Both caffeine and sugar also cause dehydration. Sugar in particular is destructive because its ingestion lowers immune function by reducing the ability of white blood cells to ingest and destroy bacteria. This lowered immune function can last for five hours or more after the ingestions of sugar.
4. Sucralose, also marketed as Splenda, breaks down into small amounts of 1, 6-dichlorofructose, a chemical similar to chlorinated pesticides. There has not been adequate testing of this product before it was released for public use, and many of the post-approval studies are alarming.
5. The use of NutraSweet can result in toxins in your body. Aspartame, or ***** Sweet, has an alarming health record. The ingredients in Aspartame are phenylalanine (50 percent), aspartic acid (40 percent) and methyl alcohol (10 percent). When you eat or drink something which contains Aspartame, your digestive systems begins to break it down. When the temperature reaches 86 degrees, methyl alcohol then breaks down to formaldehyde and then formic acid. So at that point you have five potent poisons in your system.
6. Acesulfame-k is a dangerous chemical.
7. The sodium benzoate in the soda is a preservative, which can cause food allergies.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:27 AM   #9
(female)

rysta787 HB User

Wow, you guys definitely know your stuff! REMOVED, so all of this is really making sense to me. Thanks for your help...it's definitely motivation to cut down on my habit of 4 cans a day...eek

Last edited by moderator2; 04-09-2006 at 09:19 AM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules

Old 04-12-2006, 11:22 AM   #10
(male)

systemofadown HB User

dam i only drink 1 diet coke a day but im totally stopping that now after reading this.. ive been on a good 2 month solid workout plan of about 6 days a week..and anything that can help me, including cutting out soda, im totally down with! thanks for the info!

Closed Thread