It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2006, 09:02 AM   #1
(female)

lazedays HB User
protien shakes....

I'm thinking about drinking protien shakes. I've read an aweful lot about then from all of you, so please give me the lowdown,. What kind should I get? How many should I drink? Should i have one after weight training? What should the % be of protien and fats in these shakes? Is their such a shake that has a good level of protien, fat and carbs?

I don't have alot of time after my workout to make a good protien rich snack, so I want to use a shake or bar.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:56 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

toxey HB User
Re: protien shakes....

You don't need protein shakes or any powders. Just make yourself natural and healthy shakes.

Romaine and oranges is spiffy. I also mix rice milk, almond flavoured silken tofu, and banana. Also try rice milk, banana, and berries. Don't ignore the kiwi. Be creative.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2006, 11:09 AM   #3
(male)

syrus HB User

I think it's a matter of opinion. I personally believe that you should have a whey protein shake immediately after your workouts.

Old 04-17-2006, 11:43 AM   #4
(female)

hs1977 HB User

Made by Biox
how is this for a post workout shake: (this is ready made)
calories 180
fat 4.5g
total carbs 2g
protein 30g
Ingredients: filtered water, 3 Carb pro™ (protein blend consisting of: micellar caein, 100% microfiltered and ultrafiltered whey protein concentrate), medium chain triglycerides, cellulose gel, cellulose gum, natural and artificial flavours, sucralose, acesulfame potassium, carrageenan.

Or I could buy the mix:
140 calories
3g fat
3g carbs
25g protein
Ingredients: 3 Carb pro™ (our special blend of: cross flow microfiltered and ultrafiltered whey protein concentrate, iso chilled cross flow microfiltered, ultrafiltered and diafiltered whey protein isolate, instantized calcium caseinate, micellar casein, partially hydrolyzed why protein), natural flavouring, pure crystalline fructose, xanathan food gum, cellulose, sucralose, salt, vitamin C, bromelain, vitamin A palmitate.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-18-2006 at 12:46 PM.

Old 04-20-2006, 06:45 AM   #5
(male)

Ronaldinho HB User

I use optimum nutrition whey protein. I hear it's the best stuff to use.

Old 04-20-2006, 07:26 AM   #6
(male)

Reece Berg HB User

Whey protein or egg whites are highly recommended to have after a workout. You want what is called a complete protein - as in a protein that has all the essential amino acids. Whey protein is the very best for this, followed by egg whites. If you do choose to go with eggs, make sure you toss out the yolks as they're loaded with cholesterol - you could keep 1 yolk if you wanted to but I wouldn't recommend more. There are various different types of whey protein such as isolated and concentrated and derived from different sources, such as soy milk, cow milk,... I personally wouldn't recommend a casein based product as these just don't get the protein flowing through you fast enough. Having some casein in the product is okay, however definitely make sure that the majority of the product you choose is whey concentrate or isolate. Good luck.

Old 04-20-2006, 08:12 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

MaxOT26 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldinho
Send Optimum an email and ask for some studies done on their protein.

Old 04-22-2006, 07:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldinho
It's definetly the most popular brand. However, I've been told that it's not the best quality one. Not to say it's bad quality, but it's more of a "bang for buck" protein poweder.

Old 04-23-2006, 03:35 PM   #9
(male)

MX_Ivanko HB User

Don't forget that the questionair is a female. So the protein of choice is Soy, for men it is definitely Whey. That's not to say women shouldn't be drinking Whey, but men should not be drinking Soy protein because of the estrogen it contains =P. Drink the protein shake after workouts so your glycogen levels can return to normal and your muscles can start to recover on a quick protein boost.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:57 AM   #10
(female)

hs1977 HB User

can anyone comment on the 3 carb shakes that I posted? I would appricate it as I'm wondering if I should buy a bunch or the powder?

Closed Thread