It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2006, 09:17 PM   #1
(female)

d3sire HB User
Exercise makes me sick

I recently joined a gym & everytime I excercise I feel light headed, dizzy & nauseous. I walk on the treadmill for 40 minutes & when I am done I have to cross my fingers & hope that I don't either pass out or through up. I am 20 years old 120 lbs 5'7 & in good health. I eat well & I always make sure to eat befor going to the gym, I drink a ton of water on the treadmill. Why is it making me sick??? I have also been watching my heart beat while on the treadmill & without even running my heart rate stays in the 160-170 range. Is this normal??? I do smoke & thought maybe that was contributing to my sick feelings, I will try not smoking for atleast a few hours befor going to the gym.
Does anyone know whats causing this? is it serious enough that I should see a doctor???

Thanks!

Old 05-16-2006, 08:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Exercise makes me sick

If you're new to exercising, this is fairly normal. You may be "healthy", but are probably not fit and smoking is definitely not helping. No matter how slowly you start, it is still a new stress to the body and it has to adjust. First, make sure that you look ahead while walking, not down. That will cause problems with your equilibrium and induce dizziness after you're off the treadmill. Also, don't eat *immediately* before going to the gym. Give yourself 30 to 60 minutes so that you don't have a full stomach and have a chance to digest before exercising. Next, try to avoid smoking for a few hours before going ( or try quitting ) so that you are not causing further problems with oxygen uptake, which can also cause dizziness and nausea. The fact that your heart rate is in the 160 to 170 range at a walking pace might be cause for concern, however. That's pretty high for a minimum of intensity. If you have been sedentary up until now, that might help explain it, but you might try slowing it down a bit so that your heart rate isn't so high. If you stay consistent with it, it will become easier to do and take longer to get your heart rate up. If you have the means, you might consider checking with a doctor just to make sure there are no other underlying issues. Just get blood pressure, basic physical and basic blood work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread